Hurricane Ike - Location/People Coordination

tmariar

EASTWOOD here, bounded by Leeland, Sidney, Eastwood, and Harby. We are staying put, and probably boarding up some windows tomorrow (we have nearly 30 windows, so what direction is the most at risk?). Hopefully we don't lose too much in the way of landscaping, and the massive oak tree that hangs over the house was trimmed less than a year ago so it should hopefully be OK.

We don't have a chainsaw either, but we have a neighbor who has pretty much every tool known to man, so we should be OK. Of course those tools make fabulous flying projectiles! Maybe we will get a new garage out of this ;).

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Friendswood/Clear Lake:

Most of my coworkers that live around the areas surrounding Baybrook Mall are not coming to work today. Most have already made reservations at inland Houston hotels/motels..

For those unfamiliar with the Baybrook Mall area, it is very low lying. Nearby Friendswood had a serious flood event a few years ago. Even Sagemont was ravaged quite badly.

I cannot believe people in Pasadena and South Houston are staying at home? Extremely low lying.

Pasadena! You need to chime in with latest word in your area! :mellow:

PARK PLACE - PapillionWyngs, has anyone contacted you yet who can be an emergency contact for your mother in Park Place? If not, or if y'all are evacuating to her house, will you let us know?

We were thinking about evacuating to her house, but it sits on Sims bayou. She says that she cannot leave, and I am really torn. Right now I am taking animals to the kennel, getting our medicines ready, trying to decide where we are going to go and how many cars to take. ( We are in 77059 - mandatory evacuation). If anyone has any advice, please, we need it. I hate to leave my mother like this.

Thanks,

Susan

Friendswood/Clear Lake:

Most of my coworkers that live around the areas surrounding Baybrook Mall are not coming to work today. Most have already made reservations at inland Houston hotels/motels..

For those unfamiliar with the Baybrook Mall area, it is very low lying. Nearby Friendswood had a serious flood event a few years ago. Even Sagemont was ravaged quite badly.

I cannot believe people in Pasadena and South Houston are staying at home? Extremely low lying.

Vertigo - how far out are your friends going?

We were thinking about evacuating to her house, but it sits on Sims bayou. She says that she cannot leave, and I am really torn. Right now I am taking animals to the kennel, getting our medicines ready, trying to decide where we are going to go and how many cars to take. ( We are in 77059 - mandatory evacuation). If anyone has any advice, please, we need it. I hate to leave my mother like this.

Thanks,

Susan

Susan - Glad y'all are evacuating. I'm going to PM you about your mother. I think we have some people in her general area who might be willing to check on her if you don't end up staying with her. Anyone who knows the area better have any thoughts on the flooding threat to a home in Park Place, on Sims Bayou?

Friendswood/Clear Lake:

Have your friends said how far out they are going?

Big oak & china berry trees.

When Alicia came in 83 was it? Many of the big oaks around Broadmoor came crashing down, lifting slabs of sidewalk up at angles and of course practically blocking off all incoming/outgoing traffic from some spots.

Eastwood has so many large old trees. Be very careful.

My question isn't whether it would be better for PapillionWyngs' mother to evacuate, but what her family in Houston should do if she's (1) unwilling to leave or (2) unable to leave. If it's (1), is the location so dangerous that she should be forced to leave? If it's (2), how much jeopardy would the family be in by staying there with her?

BTW - I am not speaking for PapillionWyngs, these are just the questions I'm imagining she's dealing with as she's readying for evacuation.

Edited by tmariar

My question isn't whether it would be better for PapillionWyngs' mother to evacuate, but what her family in Houston should do if she's (a) unwilling to leave or (B) unable to leave. If it's (a), is the location so dangerous that she should be forced to leave? If not, or if it's (B), how much jeopardy would the family be in staying with her?

BTW - I am not speaking for PapillionWyngs, these are just the questions I'm imagining she's dealing with as she's readying for evacuation.

If this was Star Trek, the decision would be easy -- the needs of the many (and the young) outweigh the needs of the few or the one (or the old).

Sadly, life is far more complicated than that. It's a tough decision for her or anyone in that position. It would be easier if her mother was staying by choice, then you'd just pack up the willing and get out. Too bad she can't drop off a laptop with a web cam on it so she could monitor her mother from afar and come back if needed. Hopefully she at least has a cell phone she can keep with her if Wyngs leaves.

If this was Star Trek, the decision would be easy -- the needs of the many (and the young) outweigh the needs of the few or the one (or the old).

Sadly, life is far more complicated than that. It's a tough decision for her or anyone in that position. It would be easier if her mother was staying by choice, then you'd just pack up the willing and get out. Too bad she can't drop off a laptop with a web cam on it so she could monitor her mother from afar and come back if needed. Hopefully she at least has a cell phone she can keep with her if Wyngs leaves.

PapillionWyngs now has the phone number of a member in her mother's general area, though not in Park Place, so at least that's something.

Park Place is only a few exits off 45 from where we are. Part of it is right next to the bayou and most of it is low lying and flat with numerous large old assortment of trees. Our mom over in Broadmoor, is leaving along with sis in law to another family home in Beechnut/Cook Road area. Not sure if thats going to do any good but at least they are away from the areas near Gulfgate which are going to be closer to the worse section of EE near ship channel. I would hate to leave any senior citizen alone (sorry wngs I dont mean to add stress to the situation) but they tend to stress out even more. Mom had a stroke once and doctors say these kinds of events can be very hard on them. We are making damned sure she is taking all of her medicines with her. She will be with several others when it comes. Makes me feel a tad better. Sort of... but we are running out of time. -_-

Montrose:

Most likely will not be evacuating.

Most likely will be boarding up 2 south facing windows on the 2nd floor of my 4plex since my landlord intends to do nothing.

Anyone nearby have a ladder i could borrow or rent for a few hours tomorrow if I decide this is needed and can get hold of a few scraps of plywood ?

Park Place is only a few exits off 45 from where we are. Part of it is right next to the bayou and most of it is low lying and flat with numerous large old assortment of trees. Our mom over in Broadmoor, is leaving along with sis in law to another family home in Beechnut/Cook Road area. Not sure if thats going to do any good but at least they are away from the areas near Gulfgate which are going to be closer to the worse section of EE near ship channel. I would hate to leave any senior citizen alone (sorry wngs I dont mean to add stress to the situation) but they tend to stress out even more. Mom had a stroke once and doctors say these kinds of events can be very hard on them. We are making damned sure she is taking all of her medicines with her. She will be with several others when it comes. Makes me feel a tad better. Sort of... but we are running out of time. -_-

Yes, we are running out of time, and we still haven't left yet. A lot of our neighbors aren't going, and we honestly can't decide what to do. We have reservations at a hotel in College Station, but then they said that they are expecting hurricane conditions on Saturday, as well.

Yes, we are running out of time, and we still haven't left yet. A lot of our neighbors aren't going, and we honestly can't decide what to do. We have reservations at a hotel in College Station, but then they said that they are expecting hurricane conditions on Saturday, as well.

74 miles/hr is a LOT different that 120 miles/hr. it's all about minimizing your risk.

My cousin has an old apartment in Rice Village (it doesn't even have grounded plugs!) but isn't leaving. (We've offered for him, my/his other cousin, and any number of friends to crash at our pad during Ike). Is him not leaving a bad idea?

He's not in an evacuation zone, and so the city is recommending he stay put and let those to the south evacuate.

Just wanted all to know we will be staying with my Mother. If things get bad, we may have a call chain from Crunch and Music to people northbound to try to find dry land!

Thanks all. Be safe. Stay dry. Pray if it's your thing. Send good thoughts if prayer isn't your thing. But know that there are oodles of people on this board thinking of all of you.

God Bless You,

PapillionWyngs

Are you guys heading toward College Station?

The B/CS area will get storms and such, but there's plenty of free shelters. CSISD's shelters, for instance.

College Station Middle School, the first school shelter, will be accessible if you exit Highway 6 at Rock Prairie Road. Keep going left, school will be on left.

If that's full, then go to A&M Consolidated Middle School by continuing toward Wellborn Rd. from SH-6, turn right on George Bush Dr., and turn right on Anderson. School should be on right.

If THAT'S full, then you'll have to go back to the high school by continuing on Anderson, turning RIGHT on Holleman, left on Welsh, and left into the parking lot. Also, near AMCHS is a church that is also set up as a shelter. Hope this helps if any of you need help!!

MONTROSE - area bounded by Richmond/Dunlavy/W Alabama/Shepherd

Looks like we're going to stay put - if anyone needs some assistance, PM me. As of now, we've got plenty of food and water, but lacking on booze

Anybody near this area have a super tall ladder I can borrow tomorrow a.m.? I've got a south facing blind dormer that is about 1" open that would probably be nice to close. Well, I'd either need a tall ladder or someone who is great at climbing on a roof

Edit: I can pay with booze...or maybe even cash?

Edited by OkieEric

We'll be rocking in Woodland Heights. I'm sure we'll loose power, but we have plenty of coolers and ice, planning on getting the smoker going on Sunday after IKE is hopefully long gone. Anyone interested in ribs, chicken, salmon, and pork chops, let me know. Also have a few coors lights handy.......

Anybody near this area have a super tall ladder I can borrow tomorrow a.m.? I've got a south facing blind dormer that is about 1" open that would probably be nice to close. Well, I'd either need a tall ladder or someone who is great at climbing on a roof

Edit: I can pay with booze...or maybe even cash?

Depends on what super tall is. I've got a 20 footer.

Sorry - just checking back in. I may have a tall ladder in my garage, which I have a hard time opening. I did a few months ago, and I assume it's still there. I think it's about 20'. One of those metal ones in two parts that slides. I'm in the same Heights area as RedScare, so can be a back-up option.

We'll be rocking in Woodland Heights. I'm sure we'll loose power, but we have plenty of coolers and ice, planning on getting the smoker going on Sunday after IKE is hopefully long gone. Anyone interested in ribs, chicken, salmon, and pork chops, let me know. Also have a few coors lights handy.......

I will ck back on this after the storm