Mexican truck pilot program ended by House

pineda

• 1 month later...
I still don't see what the big deal is on letting Mexican Trucks drive on our highways if they meet the safety standards to operate on the roads.

Well, that has been a problem in itself. Plus, I'd rather American drivers get the work.

I still don't see what the big deal is on letting Mexican Trucks drive on our highways if they meet the safety standards to operate on the roads.

that is the same as saying I really don't see what the big deal is about letting chinese food and pet food flow freely into the USA....until pets and children the world over die from chinese products or find them filled with banned substances

it might shock many to know that MANY countries especially 3rd world countries that have low wages even for people in "important" positions are filled to the brim with corruption which is why many of them will always be third world

add in the USA profit margin and it leaves a great deal of cash to pay off people that will gladly take 6 months salary for looking the other way on anything and everything especially if they know they will never be caught and if some how caught they will not be punished or will be able to bribe their way out of that as well

Well if the trucks are that unsafe to drive on U.S. roads that is why the highway patrol is there for. If a single tail light is out, fine the company or the driver or ban them from driving in the U.S. Besides we allow Canadian truck drivers into the U.S. all the time, so how is this any different.

Besides protectionism does not work people, this issue is not even remotely related to the Chinese pet food incident. Keep in mind more Mexicans employed in Mexico, means less illegal immigration, drugs, and crime for us, and everyones standard of living improves.

Well if the trucks are that unsafe to drive on U.S. roads that is why the highway patrol is there for. If a single tail light is out, fine the company or the driver or ban them from driving in the U.S. Besides we allow Canadian truck drivers into the U.S. all the time, so how is this any different.

the highway patrol has their hands full currently with US based trucks

you really somehow don't actually understand the difference between Canada and Mexico :huh::lol::rolleyes:

yea because Mexico is known the world over for their high safety standards and their lack of corruption

and not allowing other countries commercial drivers and large commercial vehicles into your country is not "protectionism"

Yes, I know there is a difference between Mexico and Canada genius.

Most Mexican trucks are not any different then what is currently on U.S. highways. Like I said earlier if they are not safe to operate on the road fine the company or driver or put them on probation. If these people do any business in the U.S. they will improve their vehicles so they can be allowed to haul frieght into the U.S.

By the way this would also allow our truck drivers be able to haul frieght further into Mexico so it works both ways.

Yes, I know there is a difference between Mexico and Canada genius.

Most Mexican trucks are not any different then what is currently on U.S. highways. Like I said earlier if they are not safe to operate on the road fine the company or driver or put them on probation. If these people do any business in the U.S. they will improve their vehicles so they can be allowed to haul freight into the U.S.

By the way this would also allow our truck drivers be able to haul freight further into Mexico so it works both ways.

US truck drivers already have all the work they can handle which is why nearly every truck you see has a sign for hiring drivers so I am sure most are not looking to go into Mexico

Mexican roads are far worse in most areas than even many of the worst US roads so I doubt most US companies want their trucks down there

Mexican fuel is often of extremely poor quality and could damage expensive diesel engines so I doubt most US companies want their trucks down there fueling up

Mexican trucks are already installing larger tanks so they can fuel up on lower quality higher sulfur diesel before they come into the USA as well as avoiding US road fuel taxes.....many areas on the border already have air quality issues as do most large US cities near the border so we don't need lower quality fuel with no road taxes paid on it being burned in the USA

you are incorrect most Mexican trucks are worn out former USA trucks with many safety features removed or worn out and they would not pass US standards which is why they were shipped off to Mexico......the very few Mexican trucks that do come in the USA are allowed in after an extremely through inspection by US based inspectors which would end with the further opening of this program....so most Mexican trucks are FAR from US trucks and they will still avoid paying road taxes and will be filled with low quality diesel and be driven by drivers that will be easily able to bribe their way through any type of physical or Mexican inspection

while some Mexican Diesel close to the border is refined in the USA the further you get the more likely you will get lower quality fuel....so thinking US drivers will be rushing to haul there is a fallacy especially with the crime issue as well and unfamiliar territory and corrupt officials to deal with

I was not really refering to U.S. trucking companies per say, as much as I was referring to Multinationals, as well as Mexican companies that profit the most off of having goods shipped from Mexico to the U.S. As with any business if we enforce more of the regulations, I am sure these companies will be forced to comply or go out of business.

Like I said earlier if the trucks are in good working condition, and if the drivers do not violate any traffic laws there should no problem. Besides enforcing safety regulations can be easily done at the U.S./Mexico Border so it should not be that much of an issue.

You are correct that the quality of roads down there is horrible, but they are rapidly improving their infastructure down there so it won't be much of an issue in the near future.

Let's not forget the simple fact that one in five trucks pulled over by the truck enforcement squad gets taken off the road for a variety of reasons.

One thing that you must think about is that being a truck driver is considered a high paying job in mexico and it would be unlikely that they would do anything to jeopordize that.

Now as far as the trucks go, I'd wish they would be just as enthusiastic with the US trucks.

US truck drivers already have all the work they can handle which is why nearly every truck you see has a sign for hiring drivers so I am sure most are not looking to go into Mexico

If US truckers are all booked up, then Mexican truckers will not be taking any jobs, will they?

Mexican roads are far worse in most areas than even many of the worst US roads so I doubt most US companies want their trucks down there

If Mexican truckers are adept at driving on Mexico's substandard roads, they will find driving on our roads a breeze.

Mexican fuel is often of extremely poor quality and could damage expensive diesel engines so I doubt most US companies want their trucks down there fueling up

Diesel engines can run on virtually anything. That is the beauty of these engines. The only difference in fuels is the amount of pollution put out in the exhaust. It is also worth noting that Mexico is one of the US's biggest foreign supplier of oil. If it is bad there, it is bad here.

Mexican trucks are already installing larger tanks so they can fuel up on lower quality higher sulfur diesel before they come into the USA as well as avoiding US road fuel taxes.....many areas on the border already have air quality issues as do most large US cities near the border so we don't need lower quality fuel with no road taxes paid on it being burned in the USA

Tighter regulations can avert this problem.

you are incorrect most Mexican trucks are worn out former USA trucks with many safety features removed or worn out and they would not pass US standards which is why they were shipped off to Mexico......the very few Mexican trucks that do come in the USA are allowed in after an extremely through inspection by US based inspectors which would end with the further opening of this program....so most Mexican trucks are FAR from US trucks and they will still avoid paying road taxes and will be filled with low quality diesel and be driven by drivers that will be easily able to bribe their way through any type of physical or Mexican inspection

You are correct. Most Mexican trucks are US TRUCKS BUILT IN MEXICO. There are also a sizeable number of European and Japanese models, most also built in Mexico. A large percentage of US automobiles are also built in Mexico, including GM and Ford.

while some Mexican Diesel close to the border is refined in the USA the further you get the more likely you will get lower quality fuel....so thinking US drivers will be rushing to haul there is a fallacy especially with the crime issue as well and unfamiliar territory and corrupt officials to deal with

Again, much of our fuel is "low quality Mexican fuel", so this argument lacks merit.

they will take US jobs because they will work for .14 a mile VS what US truckers make.....so if you are happy with yet another industry taken over by non-US labor then just say so...and it was a direct reply to the idea that US drivers would suddenly get business in Mexico......I guess you think because the US has factories set up in Mexico that they are filled with US workers that demand a much higher wage.....but just like in every non-point you tried to reply with you would be wrong.....high paid US workers don't take jobs in low wage countries with the very small exception of a few consultants.....low wage workers take jobs from US workers in the USA.....especially when allowed to drive in with poorly maintained trucks burning lower standard fuels not subject to road taxes.....you don't think there is a flood of Mexican drivers waiting to take US driving jobs.....or in reality Mexican truking companies ready to under bid every major US trucking company.....like has happened illegally in so many other industries in the USA already

Mexican trucks are still often substandard even if the driver can drive their crappy roads....so your point was pointless

modern Diesels with emissions controls can't run on just anything you have no clue what you are talking about

there will not be tighter regulations under the proposals going forward.....so your point is pointless

just because something is built in Mexico does not mean that after it is brought to the USA and run into the ground and then sent back to Mexico as a worn out truck that it is somehow safe.......again a pointless point

and lastly the US imports very little if any refined products from Mexico because Mexico has a refined product shortage of its own......there is a difference between REFINED petroleum products and raw crude.......again another pointless point

way to waste electrons just to see yourself type

have you ever even been to Mexico....or do you really think Mexican truck drivers, Mexican police officers, Mexican ambulance drivers, and Mexican bus drivers are all driving around in factory new vehicles :lol: ......why do you think there is a HUGE industry revolving around purchasing old used US autos, trucks, buses, commercial vehicles, police and fire vehicles, construction equipment, appliances and just about any other durable good that us worn out or no longer meets US emissions standards or picky US consumer preferences and selling it into Mexico

who do you think all the used commercial vehicle sales offices on the US side of the border are selling to.....what do you think the convoys of cars and light trucks filled with used US appliances pulling another filled with the same are doing heading south into Mexico are doing.....hell have you ever heard the words "ropas usada".......are you really so clueless that you think third world laborers in any country make enough to purchase even one of the thousands of pieces they produce in a shift....I guess you think the large Mexican national walking onto a job site wearing a SAE 2005 UT Date Night frat shirt was actually AT THAT PARTY :lol: .....ever hear of la pulga?

and to think some people thought the clueless were in the obama muslim topic :lol:

So, I take it your strong anti-NAFTA position means that you are voting against the pro-NAFTA, anti-union McCain?

I don't have an anti-nafta position.....but that does not mean all parts of nafta are good....and no I already voted for McCain and I am also not pro union

but there is a difference between being pro nafta (for most of it) and being anti union VS being against this particular provision of nafta

I am ok with the US competing against countries that employ people to perform jobs in THEIR country and abide by their countries laws (or lack there of) VS opening the US borders further for US trucking companies and US truck drivers to have to compete against foreign workers on our own soil

just like I am for free trade with China as long as their products are held to the same standards and incur the same cost AND ACTUAL STANDARDS of inspections as US made products

so again if Mexico can build a US car and that car meets all the safety standards and is inspected for all the same build quality I have no issue with that......but if car companies wanted to suddenly bring in Mexican workers to flood US auto factories I would have an issue with it......especially if those workers also were only having the protection of Mexican labor and work standards while on US soil

I make a few exceptions for this for industries like agriculture that involve very seasonal labor that is ZERO skilled

I feel it is ok to tell a US student that they can shoot to be a factory worker for a living and or a truck driver for a living, but telling them that their goal is to be an unskilled seasonal traveling lettuce picker for a living is not a goal to set for them.....sadly for Mexico, but fortunately for the USA Mexico will for the long term future be a country that is full of people that will be extremely happy to come to the USA for a few months a year and perform mindless ZERO skill labor for a fair LOW USA wage that equals a very high wage in their country

your question is the problem with debating people like you......you try and make it an all or nothing extreme in order to appear intelligent on a message board forum VS really looking at the crux of the issue and perhaps separating parts of it out for further review and discussion

so in a country that SHOULD have some of the highest educated people on earth where intellectual capital means way more than physical labor I see no issue with some extremely low skill jobs and even some with a bit more skill involved being open to competition with the world.....as long as the end product is subject to the same REAL safety standards, inspections, patent protections ECT. VS what the USA is allowing now which is corrupt countries to perform many of their own highly suspect inspections and to wholesale steal intellectual property

Mexican truckers can live in their truck, bribe inspectors for truck and personal physical inspections, purchase lower quality fuel, avoid road taxes, and avoid the higher cost of the standard of living in the USA while they come on to our own soil to work.....I am not OK with that....there is no intellectual or capital investment that a US company could make that would be able to allow them to compete ON OUR SOIL while Mexican companies can send a driver in poor health that bribed someone for a physical, here in a worn out bribe inspected truck, never let them leave the truck for a hotel, full of lower quality diesel, with no road taxes paid, and have them drive hundreds and hundreds of miles around the USA spending and incurring little if any of the actual cost of doing business that US based companies with US employees incur

car companies and other manufacturers can compete by using higher skilled workers to operate more complex machines such as robots and other automation to compete against low skilled under educated workers that will have a harder time mastering those tools.....and those same US manufacturers can use our advanced business, legal system, access to capital to modernize, and use our better infrastructure to move those products as efficiently as possible while other countries can't

so the US worker can compete with the third world because of the investment we have made in our country....unless we let those countries send their workers onto our soil to have access to most if not all of that investment while having the other advantages that their country also has such as lax standards, low cost and standard of living, and rampant corruption....particularly in an industry like trucking where there is little automation or investment that can be made to remove the actual physical labor (IE the driver) and the USA driver still has to live in the USA and incur our cost of living while the Mexcian driver can live in the truck for a few days and return home to a place where his cost of living is next to nothing

it is not an all or nothing and most complex problems aren't yet our F'uped government on all sides views it like it is.....just like you did in the post that I answered

if Mexico wants to allow their trucks onto our soil with their drivers then 100% of those trucks should be checked by US inspectors that are under the rules and laws and consequences of the US legal system and they should pay 100% of the road fuel tax for every gallon they burn on our side of the border and their drivers should earn a wage that is equal to US truckers.....and no the last part is not "pro union".......it is simply the fact that you can't send people to OUR country to compete against our companies that pay for all of our advances while paying the workers third world wages.......that is vastly different than two workers in the same country subject to all the same cost and standards deciding what each wants to work for........and or two workers in different countries with all the advantages and disadvantages of each country deciding what each will work for IN THEIR OWN COUNTRY........that is why we have things called BORDERS

that is the issue I have with this particular part of nafta.....third world workers and their mostly third world standards coming onto OUR SOIL to compete with our workers while still having many of the "advantages" of the third world such as lax standards and rampant corruption with no legal recourse and poor cheaper standards of living to pay for

If they get a U.S. inspection sticker, proof of insurance, a U.S. license plate, a U.S. driver's license, use only fuel that adheres to U.S. standards, speak and read English then fine. The problem is that most if not all of these things will not be done. You already see Mexican license plates all around Houston. Why do foriegners get to drive around with cars that don't meet our emissions and safety standards but I can't?

I hope you don't mind that I didn't read your rant. I figure that someone with such anti-free trade posts who votes for McCain, the pr-NAFTA candidate cannot have made a consistent argument, so I didn't waste my time reading it. Hope you're not offended.

you read it you just had no useful reply that could prove your points so you made yet another useless reply

you read it you just had no useful reply that could prove your points so you made yet another useless reply

Nope, didn't read it, and don't care what it says. This issue is a mosquito on an elephant's butt to me. There are far bigger issues in the nation for me to worry about than whether xenophobia should cause Mexican trucks to be banned from Texas roads.

Nope, didn't read it, and don't care what it says. This issue is a mosquito on an elephant's butt to me. There are far bigger issues in the nation for me to worry about than whether xenophobia should cause Mexican trucks to be banned from Texas roads.

look folks another word to be added to dbigtex56's list!

you are doing well at getting nowhere with your "arguments" in this thread.....the discussion obviously means so little to you that you choose to comment in this thread several times......even if those comments all did result in failure :lol::DB)

Archived