Ike: Hurricane Preparedness

RedScare

Thought I would start this topic as a resource for the myriad websites and phone numbers that address preparations, evacuations, latest storm tracks and information on hurricanes. Note that this thread should not be used to post the latest track, but rather the websites that give location. Further, debates that question where and whether a storm will hit, which Weather Channel reporter is hottest, or the location that Wayne Dolcefino will set up shop should go in the specific hurricane thread.

CALL 211 TO REGISTER FOR EVACUATION ASSISTANCE

Call 311 For General Information Assistance

Call 911 For EMERGENCY Assistance Or To Report EMERGENCIES

A few of the national hurricane information sites:

National Hurricane Center

Weather Underground

The Weather Channel

Local Emergency Websites:

Galeston County OEM

Harris County HOEM

Brazoria County OEM

City of Houston Hurricane Preparedness

Local News

Houston Chronicle

Channel 2

Channel 11

Channel 13

Evacuation Map

Evacuation Map

Feel free to add to the list.

Thanks, Red. I started doing a post the other day and ran out of time. Here are some links to shopping/supply lists:

Supply list

First-Aid Kit

Food and Water

Also:

Government Hurricane Preparedness brochure with additional information

National Hurricane Center site regarding developing a family plan

NHC site re developing a pet plan

NHC site re securing your home

This just in:

-----------------

EMERGENCY OFFICIALS URGE RESIDENTS TO PROTECT THEIR PROPERTY

(Harris County, TX) - With Hurricane Ike heading towards the Gulf Coast, Harris County emergency officials are urging residents to protect their homes or businesses from the force of hurricane winds, board up doors and windows with plywood or install storm shutters. Keep in mind that winds are stronger at higher elevations, such as high-rise apartments or condos.

. Bring in outdoor objects that could become deadly missiles, such as patio furniture, hanging plants, trash cans, gardening tools and barbecues.

. If your home is vulnerable to rising water, move furniture and valuables to a higher level.

. Before evacuating, cut off your electricity and turn off the gas. Downed electrical wires and broken gas pipes can be deadly and cause serious property damage. Make a final walk-through inspection of your home before leaving.

. Motor boats securely or move them to designated safe areas well in advance of hurricanes. Do not try to tow a trailer or boat in high winds. It can be very hazardous.

. Assemble a family emergency supplies kit and have it ready to go at a moment's notice. It should contain the following items: radio and flashlight with extra batteries, extra eye glasses, medications and prescriptions, special products for babies and the elderly, bottled water, non-perishable food, clothes, bedding and important documents sealed in waterproof containers.

. When officials recommend evacuation, leave. Do not try to ride out a hurricane in a high-risk area. Seek shelter inland with family or friends, at a hotel or designated shelter. Notify relatives and friends of your plans, and confirm hotel reservations.

. Find out where shelters are located along your route in case clogged roads prevent you from reaching your destination.

Harris County residents can get information and preparedness tips on our Web site at www.hcoem.org.

Hurricane Preparedness tips on the web: Governor's Division of Emergency Management Website: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/dem FEMA website http://www.Ready.gov or http://www.redcross.org

EMERGENCY OFFICIALS URGE RESIDENTS TO PROTECT THEIR PROPERTY

I would also add that if it does look like Houston will incur serious damage from wind or water -

Move extra vehicles off the street to the nearest structurally sound parking garage.....but wait as long as you can to make this decision so that you don't interfere with those evacuating.

. Before evacuating, cut off your electricity and turn off the gas. Downed electrical wires and broken gas pipes can be deadly and cause serious property damage. Make a final walk-through inspection of your home before leaving.

Turn of the gas? There was a brochure the other day along (with the gas bill) that said not to turn off gas.

Let's not forget power lines:

We are surrounding by them if they fall we are trapped. :(

If water rises fast in streets manholes can pop off (ours did in Allison) and become big traps for tires. Be very cautious of that.

Hi,

We've only lived in the Houston Heights for 2 years. Are winds from hurricanes strong enough, once the storm has reached north of Houston, to make it necessary to board up windows on the first floor?? The city prep. guide says to but I'm not seeing anyone in our area doing it.

I realize it depends on a lot of factors but some general guidance, esp. from someone with experience in the heights, would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-N

Hey we are leaving the west end of Galveston. Does anyone know any websites/phone numbers to Hunstville Shelters?

(plz reply quickly :()

Thanks.

The Walker County Emergency Operation Center will operate full-time through the conclusion of the storm.

For more information, the center may be reached at (936) 435-2400.

full article

Thought I would start this topic as a resource for the myriad websites and phone numbers that address preparations, evacuations, latest storm tracks and information on hurricanes. Note that this thread should not be used to post the latest track, but rather the websites that give location. Further, debates that question where and whether a storm will hit, which Weather Channel reporter is hottest, or the location that Wayne Dolcefino will set up shop should go in the specific hurricane thread.

This is totally nice and helpful of you, but it just raised my blood pressure palpably. Panicky feeling getting worse. I better sign off the HAIF for the night.

But seriously, thanks for posting all this.

I only get Emergency Management alerts for Harris County (no current evacuations) but here's what I've been able to piece together from nearby areas as of 1am, September 11, 2008:

BRAZORIA COUNTY:

• "Brazoria County Judge King is issuing a mandatory evacuation order for the entire county at 8:00am on Thursday, September 11th, 2008.
  • "Brazoria County offices will be closed on Thursday September 11th, 2008 and Friday September 12th, 2008 due the potential storm strike of hurricane Ike. Only essential personnel should report to work. Check with your department head if you need clarification on scheduling.

CHAMBERS COUNTY:

• "A mandatory evacuation is ordered at 10:00 a.m., Thursday, September 11th, 2008 which includes: all low-lying areas including the communities of Smith Point, Oak Island, Cedar Point, Walker Subdivision, and all areas south of 1985. Citizens should also consider evacuating if they live in other low-lying areas subject to flooding or in unanchored mobile homes or RV's. All others should plan on sheltering in place. "
  • More information; 409-267-3737 or 800-978-0337.
  • Risk map.

FORT BEND COUNTY

• "On September 10, 2008, as of 7:00 p.m., the County's Readiness Level increased to "Level 1: Maximum Readiness." The National Weather Service projects that Fort Bend County could incur Category 2 hurricane effects for a three to four hour period beginning around 1:00 a.m. Saturday with tropical storm effects arriving as early as 10:00 a.m. on Friday.
  • "Fort Bend County will shelter-in-place. There will not be an evacution order. However, appropriate readiness actions should be taken, including monitoring the Fort Bend County Website and our emergency radio at AM 1670, and listening to local television and radio for further information as Ike approaches.
  • "Fort Bend County Public Transportation Services will be closed on Friday, September 12, 2008. All commuter routes which include the TREK Express to Greenway Plaza and the Galleria and the Fort Bend County Express to the Texas Medical Center will not operate on Friday. Demand Response services within Fort Bend County will be closed as well. If conditions allow, services will resume on Monday, September 15, 2008.
  • "Fort Bend County Judge Bob Hebert has declared a State of Disaster for our County. This is a precautionary matter and is taken to initiate the movement and allocation of resources that might be needed if Hurricane Ike makes landfall in the near vicinity. It further qualifies the county for federal reimbursement of certain costs associated with the event.

GALVESTON COUNTY:

• "The decision has been made following the latest forecast information to call for a mandatory evacation beginning at 7:00 am for the following areas: West Galveston Island, Jamaica Beach, Bolivar Peninsula, Omega Bay, San Leon, Bacliff and Freddiesville. Voluntary evacuations should be considered for low-lying areas in Dickinson, Kemah and Clear Lake Shores and La Marque. Citizens should also consider evacuating if they live in areas subject to flooding or in mobile homes. If you should decide to evacuate, please remember to pack your disaster kit and important papers.
  • "The Galveston-Bolivar Ferry will cease operations at 11:00 PM on Thursday night.
  • "University of Texas medical branch hospital in Galveston will begin a complete evacuation of the hospital facilities at 8 am Thursday.
  • "The Bolivar SUD has indicated they will cease water service to the Peninsula at 5:00 pm on Thursday.
  • "We have received notification of the following school closures: High Island ISD - Thursday and Friday; Galveston ISD - midday on Thursday and Friday; Dickinson ISD - midday on Thursday and Friday; Texas City ISD - Friday; La Marque ISD - Friday; Clear Creek ISD - Thursday and Friday; Hitchcock ISD - Thursday and Friday; Santa Fe ISD - Thursday and Friday; Friendswood ISD - Thursday and Friday.

HARRIS COUNTY

• "The Harris County Office of Homeland Security & Emergency Management (OHSEM) advises residents along the Texas Gulf Coast to "be prepared" for the possibility of severe thunderstorms, tornadoes and power outages if Hurricane Ike makes landfall in our area. OHSEM encourages residents to have an emergency supply kit, a family emergency plan and to be informed on the weather conditions by listening to what local authorities are advising through the local media.

MATAGORDA COUNTY

• "a mandatory evacuation has been ordered for people who live and work south of Highway 35. This mandatory evacuation includes the communities of Palacios... Ashby-Buckeye... el maton... Collegeport... Matagorda... Wadsworth... Sargent... Cedar Lane... Chinquapin... tres Palacios Oaks... and Tidewater Oaks. Blessing is also included in the mandatory evacuation even though it is north of Highway 35.
  • "These evacuations must be completed by 6 PM Thursday.
  • "Matagorda County officials are recommending a voluntary evacuation of residents north of Highway 35 and in Bay City and Van Vleck for those living in low lying areas and manufactured homes that are not properly tied down. It is recommended you evacuate with your pets. Be sure to take a pet Carrier... leash... vaccination records... and food for your pet. If you evacuate to a shelter... your pets will be boarded at a separate facility.

JACKSON COUNTY:

• "a voluntary evacuation is underway for the entire County.
  • "Schools will be closed Thursday and Friday.
  • Evacuation routes

WHARTON COUNTY:

• "Wharton County officials are encouraging Wharton County citizens to evacuate if they live in a Mobile home... RV or a flood prone area effective immediately.
  • "Wharton County Offices will be closing at noon, Thursday, Sept. 11, 2008 due to pending inclement weather.

7AM EVACUATION ANNOUCEMENTS

Mayor

Employers recommended to not require non-essential employees to go to work on Friday, and to take into account recommended and mandatory evacuations (which the County Judge will speak to). Non-essential city employees will be off on Friday.

All school districts recommended to close Friday.

County Judge

Special needs evacuations beginning this morning. If you are in an evacuation zone, have special needs, but have not registered, call 3-1-1.

Mandatory evacuations of Zones A&B (zip codes ending in 058, 059, 062, 520, 546, 571, 586, 598) starting at noon today. Please wait until noon to evacuate and let Galveston get out.

Others - Unless you're in an unsafe structure (e.g., a mobile home), hunker down. If the power goes out later, you can leave then. Let those who need to get out now for their safety evacuate now.

Contraflow lanes not being opened now - it sounds like they are going to reevaluate the need for the contraflow lanes later today (sounded like during or after evening rush hour is the earliest they'd reevaluate).

tmariar got it first, but here's the official version:

-----------------

HARRIS COUNTY EVACUATIONS FOR ZONES A & B

(Harris County, TX) - Due to changes in the track of Hurricane Ike and the expected storm surge of up to 15 ft. in some areas, Harris County and City of Houston officials are calling for the evacuation of citizens residing in Zones A & B of the evacuation plan.

A mandatory evacuation has been called for noon today for residents living in zip codes 77586 (Zone A), 77058, 77059, 77062, 77520, 77546, 77571, 77598 (Zone B).

Harris County will begin evacuating citizens with special needs that registered with 2-1-1 as soon as possible. Those not registered should call 3-1-1 immediately if they need help evacuating.

The routes identified for emergency evacuation by the state are Interstate 10 West to San Antonio, Interstate 45 North to Dallas, Interstate 59 North to Nacogdoches and Highway 290 West to Austin or Waco. The Texas Department of Public Safety will stage contraflow in coordination with local plans when needed. Refueling stations will be placed along the routes.

In order to minimize traffic of highways, emergency officials recommend that major employees allow non-essential personnel to not report to work on Friday. However, service providers such as grocery stores, restaurants and service stations are encouraged to remain open to serve the public.

Those who have registered already with the state's 2-1-1 system can expect to be picked up and transported to one of the transportation staging areas for evacuation.

Any other special needs persons who need help evacuating need to call 3-1-1.

I just got a big chunk of information from Harris County OEM about what evacuating people should do about their animals.

There's a lot of info there, including a list of places with phone numbers that will take dogs, cats, even horses.

Since there's a lot of information and probably a lot of interest that will yield discussion, I've split it into its own thread here: Hurricane Ike: Animal Evacuation Information

Is it possible or necessary to create a seperate topic in regards to TRAFFIC FLOW "real time"? Or to be more specific how is traffic in the present tense so we can call relatives to tell them they better get in the car and go whenever.

Local news is tooooooo slow on real time at least from my perspective.

I see frwys becoming gridlock again as day progresses, deja vu. <_<:angry2:

Is it possible or necessary to create a seperate topic in regards to TRAFFIC FLOW "real time"? Or to be more specific how is traffic in the present tense so we can call relatives to tell them they better get in the car and go whenever.

Tell them to go here...

http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/layers/

Harris County's Office of Homeland Security & Emergency Management, in coordination with emergency management partners, has established a call center for residents to call with standared preparedness questions in advance of Hurricane Ike.

The call center is open until further notice.

RESIDENTS WITH STANDARD PREPAREDNESS QUESTIONS SHOULD CALL 713-368-2741

(Spanish speaking phone bank operators are available)

I'm not sure how much help HAIFers would be with traffic, since by the time they got home to post something, conditions will have changed.

Of course, we all like to see pictures of traffic, so if anyone takes any feel free to post them.

There is, of course HAIF:Traffic which aggregates information from a number of sources (some in real time, others in nearly real time) including Houston Transtar and some of the private traffic services which have their own information gathering abilities.

Right now, it's orange which is unusual for this time of day.

Probably the most useful part of HAIF:Traffic is the interactive traffic map which lets you zoom in on a particular area and see what's going on there.

I just snapped this screen shot a minute ago:

gallery_1_65_76588.jpg

It looks (to me) like the congestion is building from people getting off of Galveston Island.

Yeah all my relatives in LA...but just one friend here.

One other thing, if you are worried about cold stuff when the power goes out, go ahead and bag up ice from your ice maker, let it make another full batch tonight. That's a few hours of cooling in a cooler. If you have a deep freeze, like I'm glad we do, take empty milk or coke or other jugs, fill with water and freeze tonight. I have about 7 of these in my freezer. That's what we use to cool on fishing trips and they'll last a couple days in a good cooler that is kept shut.

And wash clothes tonight!

Don't forget to put water in buckets and/or the bathtub...

you'll still be able to flush the toilet if the power is out...just pour water in the

tank and flush...

take care everyone! i'll be thinking of all of you...

all of my family is around Houston too...don't think i'm not concerned being up here in yankee-land...

take care

lynda

Archived