Sign in to follow this  
DaTrain

Skyline Update

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 6:38 PM, ekdrm2d1 said:

View from the 60th floor of Chase Tower.

@bobruss I took a cool photo of your favorite building.

wWVWZWM.jpg

qrEM6fH.jpg

YmxNN33.jpg

How did you get up there? Have they reopened the skylobby to the public?

• Like 1

On 6/5/2019 at 10:08 AM, H-Town Man said:

How did you get up there? Have they reopened the skylobby to the public?

I have a badge to the building.

On 5/14/2018 at 10:06 PM, hindesky said:

More downtown pics from reddit, 70's and current Google earth.

70's

HTGBAFg.jpg

Current Google Earth

0d5Eg72.jpg

I cant believe that no one mentioned the old railway line that still existed in the ‘70s that used to run to late Grand Central Station! I know it stopped service in the 50s, but I thought they had just completely ripped up the tracks then and there instead of leaving them.

• Like 1

Are you talking about the lines behind the old post office? Because Amtrak still runs 6 trains a week through there

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hindesky said:

From Reddit u/delugetheory, If Houston had mountains.

9MElenr.png

That's better than the scenes from a few movies that were set in Houston, but filmed in California, complete with LA skylines.

Downtown, Midtown, and the Museum District have all been recently updated with 3D models in Google Maps. It looks great! 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, jmosele said:

Downtown, Midtown, and the Museum District have all been recently updated with 3D models in Google Maps. It looks great! 

Do you know if this only works with android?

8 hours ago, nate4l1f3 said:

Do you know if this only works with android?

No.  It works on Windows too (confirmed with Firefox at least; I'm sure Chrome also works too).

2 hours ago, rechlin said:

No.  It works on Windows too (confirmed with Firefox at least; I'm sure Chrome also works too).

When I pull up the google map app on my iPhone there’s no option for 3D view??

On 11/5/2019 at 4:05 PM, jmosele said:

You're right. Finally see downtown as it is not as it was  4 years ago. It looks great. 

9 minutes ago, Twinsanity02 said:

You're right. Finally see downtown as it is not as it was  4 years ago. It looks great. 

Still the old in Google Earth though....

• Like 3

14 hours ago, hindesky said:

QO7LEfX.jpg

As hindesky’s photos here and elsewhere in the site illustrate, the views from the Glassell School roof are remarkable in all directions. It’s a great spot for residents and visitors alike to experience central Houston.

• Like 5

On 11/30/2019 at 7:48 AM, danielsonr said:

As hindesky’s photos here and elsewhere in the site illustrate, the views from the Glassell School roof are remarkable in all directions. It’s a great spot for residents and visitors alike to experience central Houston.

We got a chance to check out that view earlier in the year, really awesome spot for any photographers wanting to snag a skyline photo!

• Like 6

On 12/4/2019 at 9:32 PM, hindesky said:

From reddit u/_jviews

BvBJJSK.jpg

From reddit u/icanneverdecideonone

htj2BC9.jpg

Anyone else think Tranquility Park would make a prime spot for a brand new, modern skyscraper? Something stunning and bold, like Piano's "The Shard", that would give Houstons "front door" skyline a facelift. Its actually a superblock, so you could fit more than one high rise there, but one signature skyscraper there would be awesome. 

nintchdbpict000301546667.jpg

• Like 4

Are you suggesting replacing a park with a skyscraper? No, that's a terrible idea. Now, adding a supertall as part of Phase 2 of the post office site on the other hand...

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Texasota said:

Are you suggesting replacing a park with a skyscraper? No, that's a terrible idea. Now, adding a supertall as part of Phase 2 of the post office site on the other hand...

Get your panties out of a bunch, Francis.

No, I'm not suggesting getting rid of the park, although it's only used as a gigantic homeless urinal and nobody would miss it anyway....

I'm saying visually and aesthetically, having a skyscraper in that position would be beautiful, it's a perfect spot for one. If it offends your delicate senses that much, pretend there was no "park" there and then imagine what having a beautiful skyscraper there would add to the skyline. 

• Like 2

81ATz7AxZVL._SX425_.jpg

Tranquility Park is a nice park in a good spot for a park. Don't need another skyscraper downtown, especially in that location.

• Like 1

Well that was obnoxious. Obviously if you're suggesting a skyscraper there then you're suggesting getting rid of the park. And no, I don't think it's a good spot for a new skyscraper. I think it's a good spot for a renovated park.

• Like 4

I walked by that park daily for years. Maybe it’s better now but back then around 2009 it really was used for drug sales and use quite a bit. I wouldn’t say it should be demolished but maybe reworked somehow. 

That's the plan, but there's no funding for it yet. Tranquility Park is definitely better now than it was in 2009, but it has the same problems most midcentury parks have - it's designed defensively, so it has these weird walls and bottlenecks that create places where visibility is limited and questionable deeds tend to be committed. It definitely needs to be reworked, but it's still a valuable space. especially for larger events that can spill out across the park, into Hermann Square, and around the library.  

2 hours ago, Texasota said:

Well that was obnoxious. Obviously if you're suggesting a skyscraper there then you're suggesting getting rid of the park. And no, I don't think it's a good spot for a new skyscraper. I think it's a good spot for a renovated park.

That's a terrible idea. 🙄