Sign in to follow this  
DaTrain

Skyline Update

First installment of an extensive library of pics all around Downtown Houston. Pictures originally taken by 254 of SSC.

Mvc-020s.jpg

Mvc-023s.jpg

Mvc-028s.jpg

Mvc-029s.jpg

Mvc-032s.jpg

(Mexican Consulate)

Mvc-033s.jpg

Mvc-036s.jpg

Mvc-037s.jpg

Mvc-038s.jpg

Mvc-040s.jpg

Mvc-904s.jpg

Mvc-910s.jpg

That's all of them.

Much credit to 254Texas for having an extensive photo library of Downtown Houston. So far, the most pictures of DT here at HAIF.

I know this has been talked about over the last few years but I just wanted to say that downtown Houston's skyline is looking 10xs better these days without those tacky looking white Christmas lights on top of the buildings. The blue ones on top of the Amegy bank building look so good. It seems that some of the letters sent by some members on here, including myself may have done the trick. I know many didn't care about this issue like I did, but I was always a strong advocate of removing the Christmas lights.

I think I remember reading on here that once the H/P opens up, it will have newer features as far as lighting up downtown. I think there's supposed to be a special feature on the new Houston Pavilions skywalk bridges. Downtown Houston's shaping up.

I don't expect to get many replies but what do you guys think?

I know this has been talked about over the last few years but I just wanted to say that downtown Houston's skyline is looking 10xs better these days without those tacky looking white Christmas lights on top of the buildings. The blue ones on top of the Amegy bank building look so good. It seems that some of the letters sent by some members on here, including myself may have done the trick. I know many didn't care about this issue like I did, but I was always a strong advocate of removing the Christmas lights.

I think I remember reading on here that once the H/P opens up, it will have newer features as far as lighting up downtown. I think there's supposed to be a special feature on the new Houston Pavilions skywalk bridges. Downtown Houston's shaping up.

I think that a bunch of property managers figured out that they could have one of the downtown agencies send out a press release announcing that downtown would be going dark for a night as part of an environmental awareness effort, and that they used that as a pretext to cut an expense and make downtown permanently darker without drawing the ire of people that might otherwise have been put off by such a move.

It looks pretty badass at 6:15 am when there is barely any light, coming down Shepherd over Memorial/Allen. Every day I wish I had my camera.

You called that one right! :lol:

I think the skyline looks better without the christmas lights too. I miss the lighting on the Wedge Tower. I wish they'd bring that back.

I miss the lighting on the Wedge Tower. I wish they'd bring that back.

Wedge still does light the very top borders from time to time, but the whole thing hasn't been lit up in years.

You called that one right! :lol:

Actually I got more replies than I thought :) . I thank you for your contribution and hilarity -_-

We have a much nicer nightime/daytime view of the downtown skyline from our 2nd story since Ike de-capitated most of the trees on the East Side of downtown. :P

Does anyone have a picture of Heritage Plaza all lit up? When I moved to Houston it was only pieces lit up at night, but at least it was something. Then one day the whole thing was on, and then never again.

Ummm i think the lighting downtown lately is terrible. the only building that has any lighting on top is the continental building. what happend to the light on top of the wells fargo tower or chase tower. the two tallest buildings in Houston dont light up the top at night. I realize it is probably more cost effective to not have lights on top but neon lighting dosnt cost that much. Downtown would look so much better if all the buidings were all lit up at night. Kind of like when we used to have that laser show every year, they lit up the skyline awesome for that event.

Agreed. Looks frikken awesome coming home from UH.

Yeah, I'm sorry but this whole "let's conserve energy by not turning on all of the lights" is a load of crap.

We need to light-up everything in downtown. A clear night shouldn't go by that WEDGE tower, JP Chase, and Wells Fargo arent' lit up from end to end. I think it looks tacky, and it does not show pride in our downtown.

Think about how visitors to the city feel. "Oh, that's downtown?? uh, ok, but I kinda like Dallas' better... it's big and bright!"

Yeah, I'm sorry but this whole "let's conserve energy by not turning on all of the lights" is a load of crap.

We need to light-up everything in downtown. A clear night shouldn't go by that WEDGE tower, JP Chase, and Wells Fargo arent' lit up from end to end. I think it looks tacky, and it does not show pride in our downtown.

Think about how visitors to the city feel. "Oh, that's downtown?? uh, ok, but I kinda like Dallas' better... it's big and bright!"

A. Its their buildings and they can do as they please

B. Energy conservation is not "tacky" or "a load of crap"

It was exciting to see DT lights, now they look just plain dull. Well, Houston went w/o power for 2 weeks..how's that for energy conservation.

Of COURSE Energy Conservation is not a load of crap. There are plenty of ways to conserve energy though...

-green roofs

-workout machines that are hooked up to generators and fed through the power grid

-harnessing wind power in downtown (yay for Discovery Tower!)

-Conservation of individual office lights.

I am referring to the outside lights of the buildings only. Houston is a modern city with a dynamic, modern skyline, and that should be reflected through our nighttime lighting scheme.

Last night, the blue lights on the top of the Continental building were white. I had never seen this before but it looked really sharp.

I hope that downtown lights up at least for the Holidays. That would be a great time to have them on, and then "conserve energy" throughout the rest of the year.

I think downtown looks great at night. The skyline is very classy without any unnecessary lights on the buildings. I even prefer the white light on the Continental building over the blue light. I would much rather have a Manhattan-esque skyline than a Vegas-esque skyline.

THIS

Last night, the blue lights on the top of the Continental building were white. I had never seen this before but it looked really sharp.

Haven't seen it but I always thought the blue was cool looking.

Of COURSE Energy Conservation is not a load of crap. There are plenty of ways to conserve energy though...

If the buildings are going to be lit the type of lighting would make a big difference. LED lights are very inefficient and last a long time. The downside is that it would be necessary to use several rows of them in order to be visible from a distance. It might be a worthwhile compromise.

Oh how I love the Holidays!! The downtown skyline looks awesome right now with the lights on Heritage Plaza and BoA. Chase looks kinda weird with the green top, but oh well.

-workout machines that are hooked up to generators and fed through the power grid

Ok, I've used exercise bikes and elliptical machines that power themselves... but not the lights in the gym. :lol:

And one good thing about this, is the skyline during the Holidays looks that much more festive with the contrast of having no lights 11 months out of 12. It's much less spectacular if you see it all year long.

And offices can cut so much, and already are. Changing from 40watt T12s to 32watt or 28watt T8 fluorescents, not to mention changing to LED type Exit Signs in the older buildings has and will continue to help a lot.

Fantastic photo!

I agree! You do great night shots photolitherland! When you come back to town, if you happend to get some night shots of the River Oaks Theater and the Uptown Skyline with the Christmas lights I would not be upset....LOL.

Fantastic photo!

Ditto.

Those night shots can be tricky. Having to allow the shutter to stay open for so long can be impossible without a tripod or steady surface of some sort. On my Sony Cybershot the slightest little bump, or even pressing the button too jittery, to take the photo, can sometimes throw it off just enough that you end up with a blur.

Anyone else notice the green and red Christmas tree on top of the Fulbright tower?

I agree with you completely; our downtown looks like a ghost town and we are the fourth largest city in the United States! Dallas and Austin have us beat on nighttime skylines and they are getting better with each new development. If they really want to save electricity they can shut off the lights in the unoccupied offices at night and that would make a real difference.

Ummm i think the lighting downtown lately is terrible. the only building that has any lighting on top is the continental building. what happend to the light on top of the wells fargo tower or chase tower. the two tallest buildings in Houston dont light up the top at night. I realize it is probably more cost effective to not have lights on top but neon lighting dosnt cost that much. Downtown would look so much better if all the buidings were all lit up at night. Kind of like when we used to have that laser show every year, they lit up the skyline awesome for that event.

I agree with you completely; our downtown looks like a ghost town and we are the fourth largest city in the United States! Dallas and Austin have us beat on nighttime skylines and they are getting better with each new development. If they really want to save electricity they can shut off the lights in the unoccupied offices at night and that would make a real difference.

Does anyone have a picture of Heritage Plaza all lit up? When I moved to Houston it was only pieces lit up at night, but at least it was something. Then one day the whole thing was on, and then never again.

I have some old videos of Houston at night from when that building was lit up, but I have yet to post those online.

i think that the blue light coming out of the centerpoint energy tower brings life to downtown. they should have colorful lights on all the skyscrapers like NYC

They might just be testing the lights for now or something. Perhaps they will change it according to seasonal events/etc. It would be neat if they could emulate another "big sleek box with a hole on the top"; ie the Memorial Hermann tower, whose lights change colours now and then. But hey, as stated by others, there is elegance in restraint.

Wouldn't a building that has wind turbines to offset power usage contradict itself by having an extravagant lighting scheme? I think it should be pitch black at night except for whatever the FAA requires.

What a sad, depressing world this would be if each building were like this. Why are people against lighting? Downtown would certainly look much better like this:

Houston_Skyline_2057.jpg

Now, downtown looks dead at night, hopefully the Hess Tower lighting can inspire these boring owners. Heck, even the Methodist Outpatient Center turned off it's lights, what's the deal?