Downtown Skyline Update

DaTrain

Do you think it makes our downtown look to sparse from that angle?

Yeah, that's probably why. I like it, just not my fav

But I do like that view from that bridge you have to take to get to the Fonde Center.

My fav view is from the NW side, like you're coming in from 45 north, or even the view from the South.

• 10 months later...

I think I've found THE ultimate skyline of Houston.

Go east on 610 south and exit north onto 288 towards downtown. If you can keep from killing yourself and others, look back west when you're at the apex of the bridge.

All the skylines together make you think you're in NY or something. It's pretty amazing.

Edited by lockmat

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I know this has been talked about over the last few years but I just wanted to say that downtown Houston's skyline is looking 10xs better these days without those tacky looking white Christmas lights on top of the buildings. The blue ones on top of the Amegy bank building look so good. It seems that some of the letters sent by some members on here, including myself may have done the trick. I know many didn't care about this issue like I did, but I was always a strong advocate of removing the Christmas lights.

I think I remember reading on here that once the H/P opens up, it will have newer features as far as lighting up downtown. I think there's supposed to be a special feature on the new Houston Pavilions skywalk bridges. Downtown Houston's shaping up.

I don't expect to get many replies but what do you guys think?

I know this has been talked about over the last few years but I just wanted to say that downtown Houston's skyline is looking 10xs better these days without those tacky looking white Christmas lights on top of the buildings. The blue ones on top of the Amegy bank building look so good. It seems that some of the letters sent by some members on here, including myself may have done the trick. I know many didn't care about this issue like I did, but I was always a strong advocate of removing the Christmas lights.

I think I remember reading on here that once the H/P opens up, it will have newer features as far as lighting up downtown. I think there's supposed to be a special feature on the new Houston Pavilions skywalk bridges. Downtown Houston's shaping up.

I think that a bunch of property managers figured out that they could have one of the downtown agencies send out a press release announcing that downtown would be going dark for a night as part of an environmental awareness effort, and that they used that as a pretext to cut an expense and make downtown permanently darker without drawing the ire of people that might otherwise have been put off by such a move.

• 3 weeks later...

Ummm i think the lighting downtown lately is terrible. the only building that has any lighting on top is the continental building. what happend to the light on top of the wells fargo tower or chase tower. the two tallest buildings in Houston dont light up the top at night. I realize it is probably more cost effective to not have lights on top but neon lighting dosnt cost that much. Downtown would look so much better if all the buidings were all lit up at night. Kind of like when we used to have that laser show every year, they lit up the skyline awesome for that event.

Agreed. Looks frikken awesome coming home from UH.

Yeah, I'm sorry but this whole "let's conserve energy by not turning on all of the lights" is a load of crap.

We need to light-up everything in downtown. A clear night shouldn't go by that WEDGE tower, JP Chase, and Wells Fargo arent' lit up from end to end. I think it looks tacky, and it does not show pride in our downtown.

Think about how visitors to the city feel. "Oh, that's downtown?? uh, ok, but I kinda like Dallas' better... it's big and bright!"

Yeah, I'm sorry but this whole "let's conserve energy by not turning on all of the lights" is a load of crap.

We need to light-up everything in downtown. A clear night shouldn't go by that WEDGE tower, JP Chase, and Wells Fargo arent' lit up from end to end. I think it looks tacky, and it does not show pride in our downtown.

Think about how visitors to the city feel. "Oh, that's downtown?? uh, ok, but I kinda like Dallas' better... it's big and bright!"

A. Its their buildings and they can do as they please

B. Energy conservation is not "tacky" or "a load of crap"

It was exciting to see DT lights, now they look just plain dull. Well, Houston went w/o power for 2 weeks..how's that for energy conservation.

A. Its their buildings and they can do as they please

B. Energy conservation is not "tacky" or "a load of crap"

Of COURSE Energy Conservation is not a load of crap. There are plenty of ways to conserve energy though...

-green roofs

-workout machines that are hooked up to generators and fed through the power grid

-harnessing wind power in downtown (yay for Discovery Tower!)

-Conservation of individual office lights.

I am referring to the outside lights of the buildings only. Houston is a modern city with a dynamic, modern skyline, and that should be reflected through our nighttime lighting scheme.

• 2 weeks later...