Downtown Skyline Update

DaTrain

No B.S. but on a clear smog free day, we know those are rare, you can see the tops of both chase

and wells fargo on the I-45 south bound bridge crossing spring cypress. That is a good 20 to 23 miles

a way. It would also make a good picture. After you spot them you can't wait to get to the next

overpass to see them a little larger. If you take the HOV in you can see downtown even better because

you are elevated longer. I guess the only problem would be if you get stuck behind a bus. <_<

No B.S. but on a clear smog free day, we know those are rare, you can see the tops of both chase

and wells fargo on the I-45 south bound bridge crossing spring cypress. That is a good 20 to 23 miles

a way. It would also make a good picture. After you spot them you can't wait to get to the next

overpass to see them a little larger. If you take the HOV in you can see downtown even better because

you are elevated longer. I guess the only problem would be if you get stuck behind a bus. <_<

I've seen the skyline like that even on not so clear days. Its just so hard because the only way to get elevated high enough to see above the treeline is on the freeway (barely).

Great photos, Greens! I remember going out of town for family visits when I was a kid. I used to sadly watch the skyline fade away as we drove down I-10. And I was always so happy to see the skyline emerge when we returned. Even today, I can't take my eyes off the skyline when I ride past it. (when I'm not driving of course.) :o

Great photos, Greens! I remember going out of town for family visits when I was a kid. I used to sadly watch the skyline fade away as we drove down I-10. And I was always so happy to see the skyline emerge when we returned. Even today, I can't take my eyes off the skyline when I ride past it. (when I'm not driving of course.) :o

Same here! (btw: long time no post? welcome back!)

I remember when I first came to Houston, my father would take us to visit his parents in Louisiana. I would always turn completely around to watch the skyline fade away driving on I-10. The first time was at night, and passing Lake Charles, I thought it was a bigger city, because of the refinary lights. (sorry, your post just reminded me, thought i'd share too ;) )

edit: It should be noted when I first came to Houston it was for a summer, (not when I moved here +6 years ago) but when I was a toddler.

Edited by Montrose1100

Same here! (btw: long time no post? welcome back!)

I remember when I first came to Houston, my father would take us to visit his parents in Louisiana. I would always turn completely around to watch the skyline fade away driving on I-10. The first time was at night, and passing Lake Charles, I thought it was a bigger city, because of the refinary lights. (sorry, your post just reminded me, thought i'd share too ;) )

edit: It should be noted when I first came to Houston it was for a summer, (not when I moved here +6 years ago) but when I was a toddler.

Thanks for the welcome back! I like your post-- it's good to know I'm not the only sentimental one out there. By the way- I've been enjoying your photos of downtown and med center. I've used some of your photos for wallpaper on my work computer. Keep up the good work!

My favorite view has to be driving North on 288 at about Airport just befoe 610.

It would make for a great panoramic. To the far left is Williams Tower and Uptown along with the Med Center and Reliant Stadium and of course Downtown to the right. It makes Houston seem very dense.

Edited by Beltway

My favorite view has to be driving North on 288 at about Airport just befoe 610.

It would make for a great panoramic. To the far left is Williams Tower and Uptown along with the Med Center and Reliant Stadium and of course Downtown to the right. It makes Houston seem very dense.

Yes! This angle (or combination of angles) always amazes me! Even moreso on the ramp from South Loop eastbound to 288 northbound--it's striking to say the least.

I also second the notion of the 610 Ship Channel bridge. Downtown looks so close, yet so far away.

Another angle of DT that I think is underappreciated is inbound on Harrisburg Blvd. It's a great angle that maybe some of our expert photographers could capture.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
How come you don't ever post your pictures?

Well I have been posting pics recently on Guessing Game threads. But the big problems are that many of my pics are at home, where I have a 56k dial-up modem that acts like a 24k. Doesn't make uploading pics very easy. Another complication is that I don't like the way that Photoshop compresses pictures, but I don't have the default Microsoft program at home that I do at work.

Then there's the matter of acquiring good photos. From time to time, my work-related projects and personal endeavors give me a productive reason to take a half-day here or there and really focus on a particular neighborhood. But most of the time, I'm just way too busy, caught up in the stress of the workday. Weekends, I either do home repair or take an opportunity to decompress. And on those rare occaisions that I do get vacation, I tend to prefer driving around aimlessly through the Texas countryside to scouting for architectural pics in the concrete jungle. I've got some really amazing landscapes, but it never occured to me to post them on HAIF.

Oh yeah, and then there are my abstraction pics. For last year's 4th of July, I shot nightime pics of the fireworks show over Eleanor Tinsley Park from the top of a 14-floor parking garage about 7 miles from the blasts. Although the camera was on a tripod, slight oscillations from the wind and long exposures caused everything to come out just a little bit wavy. I'll give you an example below, followed by one iteration of it's Photoshopped equivalent:

fireworks025fb2.jpg

fireworks025xt7.jpg

Anyway, there are these, and the occaisional nature shot that gets transformed into an abstraction, usually by way of sky or undulating water.