Downtown Skyline Update

DaTrain

• 9 months later...

Our skyline is quite impressive and leaves no doubt that this is a mega-city in the making. Two family members from CA came out and were surprised how huge the skyline was. Houston still hasn't registered in many citizen's minds as the bottom point of the Big Diamond of US cities.

I love riding high (no, not that way) on freeways viewing the various mini-skyline clusters in formation across our urban horizon. Gulf Fwy. to Pierce Elevated is my favorite daily view.

I have yet to see a series of skyline pics showing Downtown from each of the 4 grid points. On my drive home on I-10 through the Heights, the skyline view eventually hits the perfect spot where the alignment with the streets is seen, looking west to east and it looks completely different than the usual clustered variations we see.

^Great shot, sevfiv. I didn't realize the Medical Center edge was right up on that neighborhood like that. It reminds me of an advancing wildfire with the buildings being dancing flames of varying heights.

Looking south along Main St. will give you a similar view with Highrises on one side and giant oaks on the other. It makes me think of NYC's central park.

Also, I'd love to see Uptown infill with more mid & high-rises over the next 20 years.

I love shots of Uptown, I wish there were more available.

Question: Where did you get these Uptown pics and is there a way to get a little bit larger file than the small ones posted?

I found most of them from www.har.com

Also try webshots.com

Edited by mrell32

^Great shot, sevfiv. I didn't realize the Medical Center edge was right up on that neighborhood like that. It reminds me of an advancing wildfire with the buildings being dancing flames of varying heights.

thanks! i always thought that the old-folks there had a great view B)

I don't really do architectural photos anymore, but here's a few of my favorites I've taken of downtown Houston. I took these in 2004 and 2005.

I haven't watermarked these pics, so please don't repost without credit :) If you want some to put in public places, I can provide full resolution ones and the proper attribution info free of charge, but, please ask before you use them.

05sep4-5.jpg

14.jpg

04oct10.jpg

jul9-4.jpg

feb1-7.jpg

All taken with my Nikon D70, except for the last, which I took with an old Sony Cybershot.

Edited by Ian Rees