Home At 10007 Burgoyne Rd.

SpaceAge

Just listed and open today from 1-3, this house was built by Weldon E. Countryman for the 1961 Parade of Homes in Briargrove Park. The style is exotic contemporary which was an evolution of the modern movement away from flat roofs. Banks were not making loans for flat roofed houses since home buyers were becoming increasingly leery of purchasing houses with flat roofs because many of them leaked.

This house has been extremely well maintained and should only require some decorating updates. Presently it's difficult to see many of the details as everything has been painted beige but almost everything is still present and waiting to be mod again.

The description from the Parade of Homes brochure reads:

Mood Oriental: Tempo Modern

Colorful setting for contemporary living...

Weldon Countrymen's Desert-tone stone home

Bedroom and dining room open on tropical gardens...a family/living room centered and extending the full depth of the home, with fireplace wall...Oriental Decor throughout! These are a few of the exciting things you'll see in this unusual home! Double closets in each of the three bedrooms, plus four more in the hall...two beautiful baths with separate powder rooms...a stainless steel all-electric kitchen and many more features make this home outstanding. The price including carpeting throughout is around $30,000.00

Carrier Heat Pump Weathermaker

Designer: Weldon Countryman

Decorator: Jack Foster

Furnished by: Interiors, Inc.

Weldon E. Countryman's Oriental modern at 10007 Burgoyne Road features a big family room with brick fireplace, built in bookcases and recessed beam ceiling. The home has many eye-catching features and decorations of the Far East such as the fireplace ornaments.

The agent's present day description:

1 STORY CONTEMPORARY APPROX. 2,262 SF 3-2-2 A DISTINCTIVE HOME DESIGNED W/FLAIR OPEN FLOOR PLAN BEAUTIFUL LEADED-GLASS MAHOGANY FRONT DOOR GORGEOUS HARDWOOD FLOORS IN ENTRY... BRIGHT & CHEERY KITCHEN/BREAKFAST W/AN OPEN-CONCEPT HUGE DEN/FAMILY ROOM W/ FRENCH DOORS, SHUTTERS, RECESSED LIGHTING, FIREPLACE & BUILT-INS... SERENE MASTER W/FRENCH DOORS RELAXING PATIO POOL-SIZE YARD FINISHED GARAGE TREED HOMESITE WILL NEED SOME TLC BUT IS AN EXCELLENT VALUE FOR PRESTIGIOUS BRIARGROVE PARK !!!

http://images-75.har.com/e1/mediadisplay/75/lr2219575-1.jpg

HAR Link

Thanks Spaceage for the link, these "Oriental Modern' homes are some of my favorites, just love that layout of house to yard. Large, vertical windows, loovered doors. With some recessed lighting, wooden floors, landscape lights, etc. that place would be beautiful. I hate those vertical blinds, they look like burglar bars. And what's up with painting everything in the kitchen beige, echhk...they really don't have a clue. That whole neighborhood has some beautiful trees, it's South of Memorial Bend.

Note: Think you meant to add one more 0, it's closer to 300,000.

Edited by NenaE

• 3 months later...

This house survived the hurricane beautifully. It's had a price reduction to $319,000.00. Following is an example of the Chinese Modern style for today. The mural is an adaptation of a painting by Vladimir Tretchikoff.

hemingway_installation.jpg

Chinese Modern Today

Edited by SpaceAge

Obviously someone's Grandmother got displaced from this house. I like it alot, but I hate that I would have to change out the wallpaper as soon as I stepped foot in the house. Looks very well kept. It is also in one of the best looking neighborhoods in the city.

Spaceage, what mural ? Did someone delete the pic.

Edited by TJones

Obviously someone's Grandmother got displaced from this house. I like it alot, but I hate that I would have to change out the wallpaper as soon as I stepped foot in the house.

~ The seller should remove the wallpaper. It is very distracting and inappropriate for the mood of this house.

Looks very well kept. It is also in one of the best looking neighborhoods in the city.

~ Yes, Briargrove Park is a very well managed neighborhood. It has been that way from the beginning. They have a full time staff on duty with office located in the neighborhood. I don't think there are many neighborhoods with that any longer. The residents know what is expected and follow the rules. It's a good place for sorority girls to find their starter homes.

Spaceage, what mural ? Did someone delete the pic.

~ The picture shows up on my screen. You don't see the giant lady? Link:Chinese Modern Mural

Edited by SpaceAge

Nope, no giant lady !? My Aunt Janie lived in this neighborhood for about 30-40 years I think. I know she had been there a long time. I spent a couple of Christmas' at her house. She now lives in an Assisted Living Home over off Eldridge. I tried to get her to sell me her house about 5-6 years ago. She wanted more money though than I was willing to pay, so I couldn't blame her, it was worth the money she wanted. Nice neighborhood for Xmas lights also.

Edited by TJones

• The title was changed to Home At 10007 Burgoyne Rd.