Bailout Nation: Freddie, Fannie, and more

Subdude

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HA! I just got a 0% interest credit card offer from WaMu in my mail! Can't wait to send that in! :D

LOL! You should write a book. How to get a declined credit card before you even use it, and everything else HAIF has taught me. I know, I know, the title is a little long. Maybe you should just call it, TJ is ALWAYS right !!! Now THAT has some Pizazz to it, #1 Bestseller for sure. :P:lol:

Why so agog? I'm a big, big fan of sin without atonement, but still opposed to moral hazard. Someone has to suffer the consequences of these decisions. Shouldn't it be the people and institutions that made the decisions?

Because I'm a goggle? B)

I'm willing to give them a pass if it means saving the economy I live in.

From what I have read, the revised version of the bill that is supposed to be voted on by the Senate tonight is mainly different in including a number of tax breaks, including on capital gains. The value of the tax breaks is about $100 billion. So a bill that failed because people hated that it transferred money to millionaires and cost $700 billion, may pass if it transfers more money to millionaires and costs $800 billion? :blink:

I stand agog yet.

HA! I just got a 0% interest credit card offer from WaMu in my mail! Can't wait to send that in! :D

Yeah I always get a bunch of junk email from WAMU. They are second only to Capital One in the junk email race. I usually stuff the pre-postage paid envelope (to increase what they have to pay) and add a nice note like "stop sending me this crap!!". OH NO! That extra postage I caused probably bankrupted them! :P I feel so bad now.

From what I have read, the revised version of the bill that is supposed to be voted on by the Senate tonight is mainly different in including a number of tax breaks, including on capital gains. The value of the tax breaks is about $100 billion. So a bill that failed because people hated that it transferred money to millionaires and cost $700 billion, may pass if it transfers more money to millionaires and costs $800 billion? :blink:

Color me agog as well. The tax breaks crammed in there, now, make it even smellier to me. As if that were possible. God forbid Hank Paulson has to pay those unfairly high capital gains taxes.

It seems as if Congress is now banking on the fact that their constituents, who were sufficently scared by the one-day drop in stocks, are now on board in sufficient numbers. With less fear of being voted out, congress is loading this up with pork, business as usual. I'm particularly incensed at how many of the media changed the tune from 'bailout' to 'rescue' and had every local tv news reporter in the country talking about companies would not meet payroll without the bill. How many companies depend on loans to make payroll? I had to turn off the TV after watching too many heads of wallstreet firms claiming righteous victimhood after Monday's sell off.

I understand the negative impact of tightening credit, I know how serious this is: but the half truths and scare tactics around this are just blowing my mind.

In other bailout news, I will find out first thing Friday morning, along with the rest of the world, whether my new federal/AIG overlords are selling American General. The office pool currently is predicting sell.

Color me agog as well. The tax breaks crammed in there, now, make it even smellier to me. As if that were possible. God forbid Hank Paulson has to pay those unfairly high capital gains taxes.

It seems as if Congress is now banking on the fact that their constituents, who were sufficently scared by the one-day drop in stocks, are now on board in sufficient numbers. With less fear of being voted out, congress is loading this up with pork, business as usual. I'm particularly incensed at how many of the media changed the tune from 'bailout' to 'rescue' and had every local tv news reporter in the country talking about companies would not meet payroll without the bill. How many companies depend on loans to make payroll? I had to turn off the TV after watching too many heads of wallstreet firms claiming righteous victimhood after Monday's sell off.

I understand the negative impact of tightening credit, I know how serious this is: but the half truths and scare tactics around this are just blowing my mind.

In other bailout news, I will find out first thing Friday morning, along with the rest of the world, whether my new federal/AIG overlords are selling American General. The office pool currently is predicting sell.

Tightening of credit guidelines is simply going back to the way business USED to be done before deregulation and the mortgage crisis occurred. What is the harm in that ?

I don't think that informing the American public that "...if financing dies up, then students can't get loans." is actually a "scare tactic", McCain is simply stating fact.

Private student loans might dry up (which have atrocious interest rates anyway), but Stafford loans will not. In fact, they recently expanded the amount students can get under Stafford loans and lowered the interest rate a full percentage point.

It seems as if Congress is now banking on the fact that their constituents, who were sufficently scared by the one-day drop in stocks, are now on board in sufficient numbers. With less fear of being voted out, congress is loading this up with pork, business as usual.

You should have seen that Suze Orman person on Larry King live the other night. She acted like the stock market thing was the end of the world. $1.2 trillion in value lost! And then of course it gained back several hundred billion the next day.

Aren't you excited, crunch? Now, you won't have to pay capital gains taxes on your AIG stock when you sell it!!! Yippee! The economy is saved!!!

What a bunch of maroons. <_<

The Senate jammed the House in the worst way. The House has no wiggle room to play politics. It is either pass it or risk being seen as the cause of the recession. It will be interesting to see whether anyone in the House shows their ass on Friday. There are certainly a few members of the House stupid enough to do so. I don't think it will be any of the leadership. It would be some moron from some backwater that thinks he or she is sticking up for 'Joe Sixpack'.

You are such an ELITIST !!! ;):lol:

TJones, do all black ppl like Kool-Aid? Just wanted to let you know that the kool-aid depiction amongst blacks is widely held form of racism/biggotry...On w/the market talk...

The Senate jammed the House in the worst way. The House has no wiggle room to play politics. It is either pass it or risk being seen as the cause of the recession. It will be interesting to see whether anyone in the House shows their ass on Friday. There are certainly a few members of the House stupid enough to do so. I don't think it will be any of the leadership. It would be some moron from some backwater that thinks he or she is sticking up for 'Joe Sixpack'.

I watched the entire thing on C-Span last night. Watching those self-congratulatory douchebags thump their chests about saving the world from imminent and complete ruin was about the most offensive display I've seen in politics.

A lot of Bacon on this baby. We'll see if it makes it through.

The article I read stated the bacon was necessary to get it through. All the little extra "sweeteners," as the article called them, were to appease various house members who were threatening to vote against it. Including members of the Texas delegation.

Yeah it looks like the Xmas tree in Rockefeller Plaza. It's just shakedown money,plain straight up extortion, we have to buy their vote. Both candidates scream no more earmarks and pork, yet here it is. It's almost like a showing by the House and Senate to say, see we make the rules, and you can say reform all you want, it's our game, our rules, and we do it our way our we go home. This should let all the voters know, no matter what BS your candidate tries to feed you about change, nothing is going to get changed. I am surprised they don't have a pay raise for themselves just to rub our noses in it.

The rumors here in the office are now being substantiated on Bloomberg.

My new overlords will likely be european. Given a choice, I'd go with the Dutch.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...&refer=home

Oct. 2 (Bloomberg) -- American International Group Inc., the insurer forced to peddle businesses to repay an $85 billion government loan, is seeking to sell its U.S. life insurance and annuities units, people familiar with the situation said.

AIG hired JPMorgan Chase & Co. to find buyers, said three people, who declined to be identified because the negotiations are private. France's Axa SA, Swiss Reinsurance Co. and ING Groep NV of the Netherlands are potential bidders for the U.S. businesses, one of the people said.

TJones, do all black ppl like Kool-Aid? Just wanted to let you know that the kool-aid depiction amongst blacks is widely held form of racism/biggotry...On w/the market talk...

So, you immediately went to a "THAT"S RACIST" slant as soon as you saw the Kool-Aid man ?

Shows EXACTLY how much you know about politics in this forum, or what many of others have said out in the real world. If you did a search I think you would find no less than 10 references to "drinking the Obama Kool-Aid" in here. All which have absolutely NOTHING to do with the color of Obama's skin, my small minded lurker.

If you think it is racist then that is on you and your one track view. Anyone with half a brain for politics would immediately recognize that it is a Jim Jones reference to people drinking the Kool-Aid cocktail of their beloved Messiah.

I am sure if you look hard enough, you can find racism in ANYTHING, I guess you have to be a racist first in order to know what it looks like.

......back to the topic. So, the Republicans have saved us again, way to go TEAM. Bi-partisan does work.

If you think it is racist then that is on you and your small minded view. Anyone with half a brain for politics would immediately recognize that it is a Jim Jones reference to people drinking the Kool-Aid cocktail of their beloved Messiah.

You can continue to underestimate Obama's supporters as "sheep" and "kool-aid drinkers," but to your own detriment, I think. Speaking for myself, I am making an informed and intelligent decision that reflects my own ideals and values. I expect the same is true of many of the other Obama supporters. Those ideals and values will have an effect on this country over the next four years when Obama is President, so instead of just writing all of us off as stupid, you might want to stop and try to understand the positions we support.

When I think of "sheep" or "kool-aid drinkers" I tend to think of the folks driving around Houston in their big black Ford Excursions with the "W: the President" sticker on the back. Now in this case, the effects can be clearly seen and understood. These folks are complaining about the cost to fill up their tank, complaining about the economic bailout, or the recession, or the state of their 401K. They can keep drinking the kool-aid, and trying to find a way to blame the whole thing on Clinton, but it doesn't change the current state of affairs. Pass the crying towel; you reap what you sow.

You can continue to underestimate Obama's supporters as "sheep" and "kool-aid drinkers," but to your own detriment, I think. Speaking for myself, I am making an informed and intelligent decision that reflects my own ideals and values. I expect the same is true of many of the other Obama supporters. Those ideals and values will have an effect on this country over the next four years when Obama is President, so instead of just writing all of us off as stupid, you might want to stop and try to understand the positions we support.

When I think of "sheep" or "kool-aid drinkers" I tend to think of the folks driving around Houston in their big black Ford Excursions with the "W: the President" sticker on the back. Now in this case, the effects can be clearly seen and understood. These folks are complaining about the cost to fill up their tank, complaining about the economic bailout, or the recession, or the state of their 401K. They can keep drinking the kool-aid, and trying to find a way to blame the whole thing on Clinton, but it doesn't change the current state of affairs. Pass the crying towel; you reap what you sow.

See sowanome, sara knew EXACTLY what my signature represented. sara knows a little bit of what the current feelings are for both sides of the political aisle. Thanks sara. Oh, and it is a Toyota Sequoia, not an Excursion, but it is still a $75 fill up. With oil at $95 a barrel, it should only be about $50 to fill up, I don't think ol Dubbya has any control over what gas companies set their prices at, all he can do is authorize more drilling to make more oil available to further lower the price of oil and hopefully the price of gas will follow suit.

I don't think ol Dubbya has any control over what gas companies set their prices at, all he can do is authorize more drilling to make more oil available to further lower the price of oil and hopefully the price of gas will follow suit.

Chug-a-lug.

:lol:

Archived