Using an iPhone in other countries

I'm back from Canada. Since we have a lot of HAIFers who travel a lot, I thought it might be useful to share experiences with our iPhones overseas.

Here's a screenshot:

gallery_1_65_87903.png

As you can see, in Toronto the default roaming is on Rogers, but you can probably manually select another network since Fido is also selling iPhones in its stores, and I think Bell is, too.

• Visual Voicemail doesn't work, which is why there's a red dot on the phone icon -- it knows I have voice mail, but doesn't know how many.
  • EDGE service is waaaaaaaay faster than in the U.S. I don't know why, but it is. If I had this kind of EDGE service I wouldn't complain when I'm not near a wifi spot.
  • Hardly anyone has an iPhone. Hardly anyone had MP3 players, either, but the few who did had iPods. But iPhone acceptance isn't anything like it is in the states (as far as I could see).
  • SonyEricsson is in a huge advertising push for its phones right now, I assume to counteract the media about the recent release of the iPhone.

I wish I was able to take a screen shot when I was in Istanbul, then you could have seen the "Turkcell" carrier flag on the phone. Actually, it doesn't display "Turkcell." It displays "Turkce..." which is slightly less useful.

Wish I could contribute, but I never used mine out of the country since you couldn't switch out the sim card and the international roaming fees were outrageous. It's sitting in a drawer, and I ended up just buying another phone.

Now that the iPhone is available in Europe I wonder if you could get a pre-paid SIM or something from whichever carrier has it in your region.

Archived