barthelme

phillip

As far as Brazos and other bookstores we are all sold out. However, we may have a few copies left at our events. Or, those may be sold out as well (Spaceage will probably know). Only 250 were made and I think it was not until all were sold that it was a breakeven venture (of course we're non-profit).

We have discussed at Board meetings doing a second printing, but nothing is in the works as of yet.

Perhaps we should make a pdf version for research purposes. I'll ask about that.

For browsing, I know it's at Rice and probably UH, maybe at the Downtown library.

Jason

anyone on the mod board know if there are any remaining copies of a modernism suitable for everyday use?

several months of calls to brazos have yielded nothing but continued promises to order a copy.

The MFA-Houston book store had copies of the catalog Donald Bartheleme: A modernism suitable for everyday use, 1939 - 1945 last week. I think they are $20.00 there. Their bookstore is very well stocked with a wide variety of art and architecture books. It is located in the newer brownish boxy building, not the wonderful Mod building by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe. The bookstore is just inside the ground floor entrance on Binz/Bissonnet Street.

I found a signed book titled Harvin C. Moore Houston Architect yesterday. It's a 60 page catalog that tells about Moore, lists his work in the archives at HMRC and features illustrations of some of the works. He designed in traditional and moderne styles. He received his BS in architecture from Rice Institute in 1930. Harvin Moore was perhaps the first local architect to become active in historic preservation and co-founded the Harris County Heritage Society. He retired in 1979. His son Barry Moore took over the firm.

At the Gwen Wright lecture (at the MFA) the MFA Bookstore manager and I were really pushing the "buy one now because when they're gone, they're gone" aspect. I guess they have the few remaining copies.

Houston Mod is keen on a reprinting, possibly with an epilogue or something lamenting the destruction of the main house described in the book so I was possibly out of line suggesting the pdf idea.

Speaking of Barthelme, in the new Cite there's a mention of a story in which Barthelme was hired at UH in 1962 and then Jenkins and the rest of the professors didn't want to work for him. Can anyone tell the whole story of that?

Jason

The MFA-Houston book store had copies of the catalog Donald Bartheleme: A modernism suitable for everyday use, 1939 - 1945 last week. I think they are $20.00 there. Their bookstore is very well stocked with a wide variety of art and architecture books. It is located in the newer brownish boxy building, not the wonderful Mod building by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe. The bookstore is just inside the ground floor entrance on Binz/Bissonnet Street.

Archived