Blockbuster At Wayside And Harrisburg Blvd.

This place has been open since 1993 and now its closing. It used to be a big empty lot back then. Then Walgreens and blockbuster joined the scene. Anyone used to go there? i remember renting sega genesis games back in the 90's.

Is this Metro's doing?.....I've only been to BB twice this year. I was exciting to finally have one nearby back in 93'....not so much anymore...thanks to cable's 'on demand' services, Netflix, and downloading movies/games.

Is this Metro's doing?.....I've only been to BB twice this year. I was exciting to finally have one nearby back in 93'....not so much anymore...thanks to cable's 'on demand' services, Netflix, and downloading movies/games.

The closing should have ziltch, nada to do with Metro rail. Last I heard it was cancelled to go down harrisburg. Blockbuster is just outdated not only by name but by today's technology in entertainment especially for the younger set of which the industry is always targeting anyway.

Just a little background when that specific BallBuster (hee, hee) opened it was really nice and modern, little by little it went downhill. Got to the point where almost all films were not in English which "excluded' any bilingual or English only households. Once again stats assumed everyone around here did not speak English hence sales dropped and well who cares right? :D

Sayonara senor ballbusters!

The closing should have ziltch, nada to do with Metro rail. Last I heard it was cancelled to go down harrisburg. Blockbuster is just outdated not only by name but by today's technology in entertainment especially for the younger set of which the industry is always targeting anyway.

Just a little background when that specific BallBuster (hee, hee) opened it was really nice and modern, little by little it went downhill. Got to the point where almost all films were not in English which "excluded' any bilingual or English only households. Once again stats assumed everyone around here did not speak English hence sales dropped and well who cares right? :D

Went to Walgreens last night...(had to do some last minute shopping) the lot looked horrible...trash everywhere, poor lighting, it looked unkept. Very sad. They should rebuild a new strip; this time facing Harrisburg (more noticeable when rail comes through).

Went to Walgreens last night...(had to do some last minute shopping) the lot looked horrible...trash everywhere, poor lighting, it looked unkept. Very sad. They should rebuild a new strip; this time facing Harrisburg (more noticeable when rail comes through).

Truthfully I and (warn family) to avoid that area, urban blight at its worse. There are much better/safer places near the frwy if thats of any consolation. Maybe I am out of the loop but I thought the rail was not coming. Actually thats the best thing for that whole corridor, plow down all the sleazy cantinas for good.

Vertigo,

I laughed out loud when you called Blockbuster, "Ballbuster." I take it that you do not like the establishment.

Vertigo,

I laughed out loud when you called Blockbuster, "Ballbuster." I take it that you do not like the establishment.

I have nothing against it. Us local Telephone Roadian teens always made fun of all nearby establishments names like Jack in the Box was always called Barf in the Box, Taco bell - Taco Smell, our own elementary school was nicknamed Bird Cage instead of Rufus Cage, etc. :lol:

I was there this weekend and was surprised by the variety (excluding classics). I was actually looking for a Spanish movie to watch with my grandmother and thought that their Spanish selection was pretty small (not even an entire shelf).

In any case, I doubt that many of the people in the neighborhood have the luxury of netflix so it might be a loss for some. That strip center is pretty rough though. My mother and I once found a bag of crack in a parking space in front of Little Ceasar's!

that strip center is gross...the smell of plastic coming from that shoe store, the bum with a lisp that talks super fast, the amount of people leaving lil ceasers with the box already soaked in grease before they leave the store, and the block buster with a security guard that looks like a thug.

that strip center is gross...the smell of plastic coming from that shoe store, the bum with a lisp that talks super fast, the amount of people leaving lil ceasers with the box already soaked in grease before they leave the store, and the block buster with a security guard that looks like a thug.

They should the name to wewwo-busters then :lol:

Ever notice everyone looks/talks like George Lopez or Cantinflas.

So what are they doing to replace it?

Crazy thing is that whole section is not even that old. Lets play name that what used to be there game.

I cannot recall what was there prior only that the huge Sears store was across the street. They sure messed up by closing it, however more than likely it was bound to happen. The area only worsened as the years passed. There are several discussions of that specific Sears store. It was sooooo convenient.

I have no idea what is replacing that video place you mentioned. :mellow:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
That's so sad!!! This could totally be a great Metro station or Ride Store... ooh, or better yet, a mixed use condo development--- East End Place!!

Will we ever live to see the day? Seems like a zillion years until we see something that positive.

With our luck it wil be another blasted (depressing) Bail Bond place, a real black eye for any nabe. Truth is as long as this or any area doesnt get councilmen/women support nothing good will come of it.

• The title was changed to Blockbuster At Wayside And Harrisburg Blvd.

Archived