Hurricane Ike

Trae

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Our family has been calling all day, asking if we're sure we want to stay. But they don't know anything, all they warn us about is flooding, which is near impossible where we are. So I remind them we're much more likely to be wiped out by the wind.

Subtle and passive aggressive. Nice. I should introduce you to my mother-in-law.

folks, i visit this site after 3 years. i used to live in midtown and was super excited about it's prospect for growth and still excited about it! I remember i met a taxi driver in midtown that turned out to be a guy that i would chat with on this site 'back in the day'.

I am one of those on the outside, texting, messaging, emailing, calling etc...

I remember evacuating for Rita...hated it.

I don't know what to tell you except that me and my family are thinking about you guys and keeping you in our prayers. The coverage of this on the major "news" networks is totally self serving and un-informative. When I tune into the web broadcast of KRIV, they do much of the same.

So sitting on the outside, i've shutdown the mass media coverage and came back home to HAIF where I used to be "midtown_resident". This is a much better source of information than Anderson Cooper and Geraldo.

I wish you all the best and please stay safe tonight - i will read through the night and be with you in spirit.

RedScare, you said in the Rita you didn't lose power during Alicia. You lived at Westheimer & Wilcrest at the time. I'm wondering if I should turn off a few things before it goes, but I haven't had a flicker yet.

Also, poor animals outside. I drove by the ducks today and they were all hunkered down in the water. :( They're normally laying in the grass or pooping on the street.

YIKES....I just flipped to KHOU and someone apparently said you should write your SS# on your forearm so they can identify you if you die.

Who said that?

Galveston area officials?

They were in the middle of the blurb when I changed the channel.

That's what the Brazoria County sheriff told the last three holdouts in Surfside this morning. Unless you are one of the three, you will be fine.

Out lights just went out. They came back on. Guess buried power lines in subdivisions don't mean a hill of beans!

My inlaws and my wife were making that case this morning for us to come stay with them. It probably does make a difference locally, but as I tried to explain to them earlier today, it doesn't really matter in something as widespread as this. Power outages tonight are going to be more of a function of grid stability and major distribution lines.

A couple of branches have fallen on our roof in the past ten minutes. Big loud thumps. We're hoping to stay away from huge thumps, aka trees. And it's not even bad yet.

not too bad yet here either in Oak Forest. Wind picking up. Still have power. Trying to drink till I pass out so I won't remember any of it. :lol:

Everyone stay safe. God speed.

I'm watching TWC from Chicago (supposed vacation next week... I hope). Just talked to my neighbor about 20 minutes ago, and east Midtown (think 59/Elgin) is without power. My neighbors set off my house alarm looking for their extra house key since all they had outside was their garage door opener. :lol:

Good luck to all. Stay safe.

Oh, and Gooch - good luck with the liver. :huh:

What are yall gonna do to stay cool throughout the night if the power goes out? Just "hunker down" and suck it up? ;)

I did the a-hole thing this morning and turned the A/C down to 68, to make sure the house was nice and cold if/when the power goes out. Of course, there's always the ice-cold beer in the coolers and laying around the house naked if things get too bad. ;)

YIKES....I just flipped to KHOU and someone apparently said you should write your SS# on your forearm so they can identify you if you die.

I'd hate to lose the arm without the number, or some other bit that I'm especially fond of, so I'm writing my SSN on every part I care to have matched up later on.

I did the a-hole thing this morning and turned the A/C down to 68, to make sure the house was nice and cold if/when the power goes out. Of course, there's always the ice-cold beer in the coolers and laying around the house naked if things get too bad. ;)

Your killing me guy, I got the beer thing down but we had to take my mother in law from the Assisted Living Place because the evacuated it and so the laying around the house naked part is way out. Course once it passes I got the pool so maybe that will help.

Lost cable and internet for a while earlier but it came back. We are near Dixie Farm Road and 518 in Pearland.

That's exactly what I was thinking to do :) But it's not so a-hole. It's the energy you would have used anyway, right?

Just a thought...

I'm normally not a huge fan of Twitter and only have an account for selfish blogging purposes, but I'm actually finding it an invaluable tool for keeping up with friends and family during Ike. When people lose power, they can still text information and updates that show up on their Twitter feed. People are also posting amazing photos, linking to great information and it's just overall a great running commentary of all the events going on right now. I guess this makes me one of those annoying social media converts... :rolleyes:

That said, I'm on Twitter as she_eats -- come join the party!

Archived