Hurricane Ike

Trae

The eye on this thing is 60 miles across. Looks like everyone will get to see what the eye of a hurricane looks like.

Sheesh...and at that width, you'd think it last for quite a while. Let's all meet for a quick drink somewhere at halftime

But seriously, I thought I read (message board?) that the lack of a clean eye with Ike means that we won't get the typical calm. Anyone know? The eye is visible now, but you have to wonder if it will hold until over Houston

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HARRIS COUNTY JUDGE ED EMMETT, MAYOR BILL WHITE ENACT A CURFEW

FOR PORTIONS OF HARRIS COUNTY AND HOUSTON IN THE

MANDATORY EVACUATION ZONE

Harris County Judge Ed Emmett and Mayor Bill White enacted a curfew for those portions of Harris County and Houston within the mandatory evacuation zones listed below:

o 77058

o 77059

o 77062

o 77520

o 77546

o 77571

o 77586

o 77598

o 77507

These areas were evacuated earlier because of high water expected as a result of Hurricane Ike.

Curfew is in place for the following days and times:

7 p.m. - 6 a.m.

Friday night - Saturday morning

Saturday night - Sunday morning

Anyone found outdoors in the mandatory evacuation area during curfew may be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

I guess tell them to go to Ball High School if they can. Can't say they weren't given plenty of warning. It'll put rescuers lives at risk if they need help.

They're idiots because they didn't get out when this was supposed to have become a major hurricane. It's only a Cat 2. They aren't going to wash away. And they're on the third floor, so they'll probably be among the few people in Galveston whose homes are completely undamaged. I'm actually starting to regret not being there, in all honesty.

Sheesh...and at that width, you'd think it last for quite a while. Let's all meet for a quick drink somewhere at halftime

But seriously, I thought I read (message board?) that the lack of a clean eye with Ike means that we won't get the typical calm. Anyone know? The eye is visible now, but you have to wonder if it will hold until over Houston

There were several meteorogical morons on some forums claiming there was no eye. But, one of the local guys stated that it was merely not visible to satellite due to some cloud cover. It was always there.

There were several meteorogical morons on some forums claiming there was no eye. But, one of the local guys stated that it was merely not visible to satellite due to some cloud cover. It was always there.

I heard the same thing - that the storm always had an eye. You could even see it briefly coming off of Cuba on the radar images when the infrared didn't show one. Just curious as to if we're really get that complete calm

My power just popped off in Montrose for a few seconds. That doesn't bode well for later tonight

IKE IS STRENGTHENING! The eye is becoming tigher and squalls are filling in around the center... sure sign of strengthening... definitely a chance this comes in as a Category 3.

Working in southeast Houston... riding the storm out here... lights are flickering.

IKE IS STRENGTHENING! The eye is becoming tigher and squalls are filling in around the center... sure sign of strengthening... definitely a chance this comes in as a Category 3.

Working in southeast Houston... riding the storm out here... lights are flickering.

Lights are flickering here, too. I am a little bit surprised by this already so early in the evening.

We had one light flicker a while ago, and winds are gusting, I'd say, around 30.

Is everyone else getting phone calls and texts from your friends all over? Just got off the horn with my friend in San Francisco I haven't talked to in a month. We must be getting good coverage in the national media.

Were there any more updates on that stranded freighter out in the gulf? I heard a euro station with a spotty interview with the captain a couple of hours ago.

We had one light flicker a while ago, and winds are gusting, I'd say, around 30.

Is everyone else getting phone calls and texts from your friends all over? Just got off the horn with my friend in San Francisco I haven't talked to in a month. We must be getting good coverage in the national media.

Were there any more updates on that stranded freighter out in the gulf? I heard a euro station with a spotty interview with the captain a couple of hours ago.

Calls or texts from Dallas, NYC, Raleigh, and of all places....Lubbock. Didn't even know that I knew someone in Lubbock (poor guy). My NYC friend promised to stay up and text me through the storm. How sweet!

Yeah, it's a chick. Lubbock dude ain't texting. -_-

That's my garage. The left side is eaten up by termites, and as I walked by it earlier, the winds kicked up, and I heard it groan. Problem is, the winds were only 25 mph.

I probably should pre-call my insurance agent. :mellow:

Tell you what, if it makes it through with roof AND doors intact, I've got your tab at the next haif drinking event. Provided I don't have window blow-out that ruins my 90 year old oak and mahogany floors. Or displaces me longer-term.

we just checked the weatherbug available on i-phones/touches; it gets a read at UofH. Sustained at 20 here, gusts now over 50.

Archived