Hurricane Ike

Trae

I'm not trying to predict any certain level of damage. When they put the wall in, what it supposed to do? If the answer is keep the storm surge out of Galveston for cat 2-3, then it will not be accomplishing that. That's all I'm saying. Sure, it's better to have an inadequate wall than no wall at all, that goes without saying.

I think the intent was to prevent the near complete obliteration of the city a la The 1900 Hurricane.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seriously... what's the point of doing that... I never understood that. If something hits a window tape isn't going to keep it from breaking. ha ha

But anywayz... it's getting windy out... really eerie... we have been talking about this storm for days and now it's really starting to hit that it's coming.

Well, i think it is more for not having it break into many pieces. However, the way i see it, either you board up to prevent it from breaking, otherwise it will break anway, so that is why i don't put tape on. I am just used to seeing people do this, but the frequency of seeing this has declined over the years.

KHOU is currently showing footage of some absolute MORONS walking along Seawall Boulevard and tiptoeing past debris and the waves. Perhaps their relatives should be recording this newscast for posterity's sake and one last glimpse of their loved ones. GET OUT NOW!

yeah, saw this too. can't believe the stupidity of some people. debris was strewn all over and they're walking right up to the seawall.

Seems to me, when you talk tough on TV, then bail 14 hours before landfall, you should be forever more known as a...even more so than those who left intelligently. :D

CNN just interviewed the two rocket surgeons who had to be rescued.

When the CNN reporter asked Marissa McMahon why she stayed she responded, "*giggle* I don't know. *giggle*"

The guy who was with her was asked if he made the right call and he said, "The surf was great, yeah!"

Too bad the rescuers weren't hurt saving their soggy butts so they could be charged with aggravated attempted homicide. There really should be some sort of penalties for people who are given plenty of warning and then have to be rescued. They should at least be billed.

yeah, saw this too. can't believe the stupidity of some people. debris was strewn all over and they're walking right up to the seawall.

Getting their money's worth out of those tetanus shots.

Well, i think it is more for not having it break into many pieces. However, the way i see it, either you board up to prevent it from breaking, otherwise it will break anway, so that is why i don't put tape on. I am just used to seeing people do this, but the frequency of seeing this has declined over the years.

I saw a post yesterday about blinds - my thoughts are that keeping them closed will at least hold back some glass flying in if something does come at the window. Obviously it won't help it not break but the less far broken glass flies the better in my opinion.

I saw a post yesterday about blinds - my thoughts are that keeping them closed will at least hold back some glass flying in if something does come at the window. Obviously it won't help it not break but the less far broken glass flies the better in my opinion.

yeah, my blinds are definitely gonna help. I have some extra old blinds laying around i put up to cover the arches part of the window that didn't have blinds in the first place.

I think that makes sense in homes. In office buildings, though, I think it's the opposite. Since there won't be people inside to get hit by the glass it's better to confine it inside the building where it can't hurt people below, and retracting the blinds can help keep them from coming out and falling on people below.

I can't wait until Erik Barajas comes back on as anchor at channel 13.

THIS, times a million. :wub: Hello, pretty!

13445024_181X240.jpg

In other news, the adult bookstore down the street from me is absolutely jumpin'. People stocking up on pr0n before Ike?!? Seems like an odd use of your time and money before a storm...

Also, swung by Spec's earlier to pick up some more beer (yeah, more beer... :blush: ) and the cashier told me that they'll be open all day today for normal business hours and will be back in tomorrow morning. I told her I really hoped that wasn't the case and she just shrugged. C'mon, Spec's! Have a little compassion for your employees!

CNN's talking on the phone to a guy in the old Galveston News building who's with a family of 16, including children.

I can see people staying behind if they're big drunk rednecks, or a stubborn old people; but if you've got kids, you really should get out. Why would you put them through a traumatic experience, when it's far easier to just go on a little family road trip?

CNN's talking on the phone to a guy in the old Galveston News building who's with a family of 16, including children.

I can see people staying behind if they're big drunk rednecks, or a stubborn old people; but if you've got kids, you really should get out. Why would you put them through a traumatic experience, when it's far easier to just go on a little family road trip?

Mrs Cottonmather0 has been in a good mood all day long and then when she saw the people playing on the seawall about an hour ago, her eyes narrowed and she got all serious... "They have CHILDREN with them. What the HELL is wrong with those people? It's one thing to be stupid with your own life, it's another to risk the life of someone you're entrusted to protect! Throw those people in jail right now."

She has a point.

Anyone hear anything about services for the homeless? I stopped at a traffic light earlier and there was this old homeless woman. I asked her if she knew a storm was coming. She said, "Yes, God will protect me." I asked her if she knew it was a strong hurricane coming and she just looked kinda stunned and didn't say anything else to me.

galveston island officials said 40% of the population didn't leave.

I just heard that too. That's incredible... so many people are going to die. It's so sad. But they're so stupid. I feel so badly for the children, who depend on someone to take care of them, and those people failed them.

I'm getting kinda antsy and nervous, questioning this decision to "hunker down." People west of downtown in the Heights/Montrose area near bayous shouldn't be too concerned about flooding and storm surge, right? Right?

Pretty amazing and scary watching this online. They're saying that 40% of the people in Galveston have stayed on. What are they thinking?

The mayor really shouldn't waited so long to issue a mandatory evacuation. Maybe that made some island residents feel Ike's not going to be that big of a deal?

The mayor really shouldn't waited so long to issue a mandatory evacuation. Maybe that made some island residents feel Ike's not going to be that big of a deal?

Please don't blame this on the mayor. Personally, I think all the elected officials have acted responsibly, prudently, and timely. People have to take some resposibility in this. They got the official word yesterday and knew this was coming our way as early as Tuesday.

Archived