Hurricane Ike

Trae

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So that seawall they like to talk about is pretty pointless. I can see it getting taken over by a normal summer thunderstorm.

Not even sure what channel I am watching, but they are showing parts of Galveston that have cars already underwater. Entire streets/area already look flooded.

I'm watching all these NTB's driving up and down the seawall on KTRK with the waves crashing over their trucks. I guess they think they're bigger men than those with brains who don't.

I bet if they realized what salt water will do to their SUV's they'd get off the seawall immediately.

The State of Texas State Operations Center (SOC) received a report of an evacuation of DPS Communications in Texas City, Galveston County. DPS Texas City Communications is evacuating due to Hurricane Ike, and will be stationed at the DPS Regional Office in Houston. (DPS Texas City) (Region Sub 2A)

So that seawall they like to talk about is pretty pointless. I can see it getting taken over by a normal summer thunderstorm.

Pointless? No. If the seawall wasn't there that portion of Galveston would already be flooded like the west end is now.

I'm watching all these NTB's driving up and down the seawall on KTRK with the waves crashing over their trucks. I guess they think they're bigger men than those with brains who don't.

I bet if they realized what salt water will do to their SUV's they'd get off the seawall immediately.

Members of the media believe they have a special 'media pass' from God...one that protects them from circumstances which would affect the common man. They'll mock a citizen for being in the same exact precarious weather situation that they themselves are in.

Pointless? No. If the seawall wasn't there that portion of Galveston would already be flooded like the west end is now.

Based on Red's post about how much shorter it is now than originally (due to build up at the base), it's been rendered pointless if it isn't going to protect against this category 2-3 coming in. If it were actually 17ft above the beach then maybe it would be somewhat effective. But it's going to get mowed over.

Members of the media believe they have a special 'media pass' from God...one that protects them from circumstances which would affect the common man. They'll mock a citizen for being in the same exact precarious weather situation that they themselves are in.

Sadly, this is mostly true. It's Dan Rather's largest legacy. The notion of instant stardom is too much for many of them to resist. It's also exciting, and considering the boring things they cover day-to-day this is the next best thing to reporting from a war zone.

Because of labor laws and insurance companies, no news director will ever demand that a crew go into a dangerous situation. But there is much underlying pressure from their peers and management to push the envelope.

That said, the news crews generally aren't waiting out the entire storm. They'll report until it gets too dangerous, then flee to safer ground. There are exceptions to this, and they seem to be growing each year. It's only a matter of time until one of them gets killed.

Oh, OK. I just thought that maybe everyone was rooting for it to go over crunchtastic's house.

Carry on.

and looking at the latest track, it will!

Good morning, haif friends! Is everone ready? 2 more pieces of furniture to move off the porch, otherwise I'm done. Will cook up the last of the crawfish tails in my freezer, and plan on opening that bottle of rye this afternoon.

The lastest forecast is out. It's not lowered too much, except they still have it strengthening up to the point of landfall. It'll be interesting to see if that actually happens.

INITIAL 12/1500Z 27.2N 92.6W 90 KT

12HR VT 13/0000Z 28.2N 94.0W 95 KT

24HR VT 13/1200Z 30.0N 95.5W 80 KT

36HR VT 14/0000Z 32.5N 96.0W 40 KT...INLAND

48HR VT 14/1200Z 36.0N 93.5W 30 KT...INLAND

72HR VT 15/1200Z...ABSORBED BY A EXTRATROPICAL LOW

No track adjustment at all.

and looking at the latest track, it will!

Good morning, haif friends! Is everone ready? 2 more pieces of furniture to move off the porch, otherwise I'm done. Will cook up the last of the crawfish tails in my freezer, and plan on opening that bottle of rye this afternoon.

Sorry, crunch. I tried to stick up for you, but the overwhelming majority of selfish HAIFers voted and willed Ike over to your house. :(

The good news is that since Eastwood is going to get obliterated, the Heights will be a sunny playland that you can come visit anytime. I extend a personal invitation to come by and see the wonderful neighborhood that was saved by sacrificing your house to the storm gods of Ike. :D

25 years ago they did not have the technology to find exact locations of power failure as they do now and HL&P was a regulated and much smaller organization than the now deregulated industry which is much larger.

This is the 4th largest city in the US and not having power for weeks would cripple the national economy.

HL&P, owned by Houston Industries, changed its name to Reliant Energy, then was split up into Reliant Energy (unregulated electricity marketer, which doesn't own infrastructure), Centerpoint Energy (regulated and owns all the transmission lines), and TNG, which had some plants and was taken private. That's your concise history.

But Centerpoint Energy is a much much larger, regulated company, with help from many other companies that pool resources for disaster relief. They're good at what they do, but the rapidity with which they can restore power depends a lot on the scope of damage. Houston is a big city, so it may take a while to tackle all the repairs...but I have no doubt that they'll do their job well.

Based on Red's post about how much shorter it is now than originally (due to build up at the base), it's been rendered pointless if it isn't going to protect against this category 2-3 coming in. If it were actually 17ft above the beach then maybe it would be somewhat effective. But it's going to get mowed over.

Just you watch...the structures on the west end will be obliterated, and the east end will be flooded but most of the buildings will survive.

Just you watch...the structures on the west end will be obliterated, and the east end will be flooded but most of the buildings will survive.

I agree. My post should not be construed to mean the seawall is useless, merely to point out that this surge will likely top it, causing flodding of the main island.

The eye's pretty ragged, but somewhat open and the dry air's almost penetrated the southwestern eyewall. On the other hand, the east side of the storm looks really bad - the convection has been building. This is such a lopsided hurricane.

IKE ZOOMED

avn-l.jpg

I agree. My post should not be construed to mean the seawall is useless, merely to point out that this surge will likely top it, causing flodding of the main island.

I'm not trying to predict any certain level of damage. When they put the wall in, what it supposed to do? If the answer is keep the storm surge out of Galveston for cat 2-3, then it will not be accomplishing that. That's all I'm saying. Sure, it's better to have an inadequate wall than no wall at all, that goes without saying.

Archived