Hurricane Ike

Trae

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But I'd still have to be slovenly, reprobate, and impertinent.

Funny huh...?

Here we go, just for you...

Boss, I sho is scaided of da hurry-cane...

stev450.jpg

Someone mentioned a clean shaven Billy Dee Williams like character? I'll take that part thankyouvery much, as a wealthy, yet young MacGregor area resident who singlehandedly defends his neighborhood from looters coming from the "other" side of Griggs Rd. while the eye passes over because the rest of HPD is protecting River Oaks residents. :rolleyes:

We also need a Shelia Jackson-Lee like character in it who goes out in the storm with a camera crew to check on constituents only so she can boost her approval rating, but instead, she falls prey to a giant whirlpool caused by a storm drain on live TV, cussing out her constituents in the process. :D

what the...

anderson cooper just reported that local galveston officials, dont know if thats county or city, reported "If you dont leave, you face certain death"

Also reported storm surge on galveston should be 22'... over the 17' seawall.

edit.. may have been ntl weather service that said that.

Check out this SatRad, with sound!

I didn't know hurricanes sounded like that!

Must be Global Warming. Alicia didn't sound like that. She sounded like this...

what the...

anderson cooper just reported that local galveston officials, dont know if thats county or city, reported "If you dont leave, you face certain death"

Also reported storm surge on galveston should be 22'... over the 17' seawall.

That was actually the Galveston office of the National Weather Service:

All neighborhoods... and possibly entire coastal communities... will be inundated during high tide. Persons not heeding evacuation orders in single family one or two story homes will face certain death. Many residences of average construction directly on the coast will be destroyed. Widespread and devastating personal property damage is likely elsewhere. Vehicles left behind will likely be swept away. Numerous roads will be swamped... some may be washed away by the water. Entire flood prone coastal communities will be cutoff. Water levels may exceed 9 feet for more than a mile inland. Coastal residents in multi-story facilities risk being cutoff. Conditions will be worsened by battering waves. Such waves will exacerbate property damage... with massive destruction of homes... including those of block construction. Damage from beach erosion could take years to repair.

How is the route between SA & Houston?

How safe is SA itself?

OR, would it be just as easy to find a motel/hotel in Northwest Houston????????????

I ended up having to work over the whole weekend but didn't anticipate having power, so I was driving to SA when you wrote this post. I took Westpark Tollway and then FM 1093 to Eagle Lake, then US 90-A to Seguin. 90-A is a two-lane highway (one lane each way) but many evacuees were using it as a uni-directional one-way highway, driving upwards of 85 mph, slowing down and swerving back into the right lane only when there was any oncoming traffic. I watched as one head-on collision that was only barely averted.

Otherwise, there was a bit of congestion in small towns, but nothing at all scary. If you really feel the need to evacuate, SA is a good place to be. Take a vacation. Be a tourist. Enjoy yourself for a few days while crews clean up fallen trees. But I'm not very concerned for catastrophic wind damage at this point if you just behave sanely.

ike ike ike

HAIF is sooooo boring.

If I'm gonna get through this storm entertained we need to diversify our talking subjects

Like many things in life, you get out of HAIF what you put into HAIF.

If you start conversations in other topics, then people will follow you.

We also need a Shelia Jackson-Lee like character in it who goes out in the storm with a camera crew to check on constituents only so she can boost her approval rating, but instead, she falls prey to a giant whirlpool caused by a storm drain on live TV, cussing out her constituents in the process. :D

OHHHH...that would be the best part! The last thing you would see would be the braids on the top of her head, swirling down.... :lol:

Word !!

You know, it will be quite interesting to see what the seawall does. Galvestonians, including Mayor Thomas this morning, love to tout their 17 foot seawall. Well, here is the 17 foot swawall...

SW07.jpg

But, here is that seawall today...

16kd101-flood-wall.jpg

Perhaps half that. If the 15 to 20 foot surge materializes as some are predicting, it will eclipse the now 9-10 foot seawall.

I ended up having to work over the whole weekend but didn't anticipate having power, so I was driving to SA when you wrote this post. I took Westpark Tollway and then FM 1093 to Eagle Lake, then US 90-A to Seguin. 90-A is a two-lane highway (one lane each way) but many evacuees were using it as a uni-directional one-way highway, driving upwards of 85 mph, slowing down and swerving back into the right lane only when there was any oncoming traffic. I watched as one head-on collision that was only barely averted.

That's the same exact route that I had plotted out in my head should I feel the need to leave. How long did it take you to get to San Antonio?

I know that statement was from the Weather Service, but I've been reading the blog that excerpted it for the last couple of days and it's the most panic-inducing weather read I've ever seen. If you're a fan of disaster books, it's worth bookmarking.

"Certain death" has made cnn.com headlines. Let the panic begin...though honestly, in this case these people really should get the he$$ out

I checked back tonight to see that dry air patch growing. I think Ike's going to be weaker in the next advisory. We'll see. The goal is to get a sub-category 3 hurricane before landfall.

"Certain death" has made cnn.com headlines. Let the panic begin...though honestly, in this case these people really should get the he$$ out

It's time for them to stop serving burgers. The party keeps getting bigger.

I checked back tonight to see that dry air patch growing. I think Ike's going to be weaker in the next advisory. We'll see. The goal is to get a sub-category 3 hurricane before landfall.

Bingo. What's weird is that it seems to be really firing up outside of that dry air - hopefully it'll keep it from intensifying. There's also some hope that landfall will keep shifting further east

Bingo. What's weird is that it seems to be really firing up outside of that dry air - hopefully it'll keep it from intensifying. There's also some hope that landfall will keep shifting further east

I wonder if the slot you're seeing is the building of a new eye, as described in that blog on the Weather Underground. The guy said something about the storm forming a new eye.

KTRK just reported that Lowes and Home Depot are closing tonight, so if you don't have your stuff, you may be SOL.

I'm watching streaming on KTRK because KHOU's wouldn't load. From what I could tell from the startup, though, it would have been really really small anyway.

I wonder if the slot you're seeing is the building of a new eye, as described in that blog on the Weather Underground. The guy said something about the storm forming a new eye.

KTRK just reported that Lowes and Home Depot are closing tonight, so if you don't have your stuff, you may be SOL.

I'm watching streaming on KTRK because KHOU's wouldn't load. From what I could tell from the startup, though, it would have been really really small anyway.

There was a pinhole of an eye there very briefly, but disappeared - who knows it Ike will ever get one, but let's hope not. I'm still curious as to why they expect it to intensify right up to the point of landfall, though... Warm waters, sure, but I would think you'd see some weakening once a portion of the hurricane is over land

We saw a sign at Home Depot's off 610 near the Galleria saying they would close at 9:30 a.m. on Friday. Maybe they changed their plans? I didn't even realize they opened that early

Sure, why not?

It's gonna be dark when all the good action shots are happening! :P

Have you guys been able to get to http://hidefromthewind.org? It will tell you projected wind speeds for the different zip codes around town. It does updates also.

The site is http://www.houstonhidefromthewind.org/ and it appears that their database is at the moment. The site was barely keeping up with the load earlier today.

It's been trying to build the eye for several days. Ike was in an eyewall replacement cycle when it hit Cuba, but it was disrupted by land. Since then, the two eyewalls have been fighting each other for dominance, which kept the hurricane from strengthening. This helped us a lot because Ike was sitting over the infamous Loop Current while this was happening. The small eye is gone now, and the large one is struggling to organize. I think this is just dry air because otherwise that would be the mother of all eyes.

I'm probably wrong.

ETA, the update came early and they said dry air. Otherwise they made no adjustments to the forecast except a slight nudge to the right. I'm waiting to check the hidefromthewind site.

Latest advisory has it as a Cat2 at landfall rapidly weakening to a Cat1.

It won't make it as far as Rita, and it probably will have the surge associated with a storm one or two categories stronger. A slight jog to the left will change everything for the southeastern part of this region. Read Master's blog about the amount of energy Ike is carrying.

Archived