Hurricane Ike

Trae

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Look at that "cone of uncertainty", at this point, guesses are it could hit anywhere from Georgia to Central America. Give it some more time until you start proclaiming that it will hit the Gulf Coast.

Computer models have been different. Either it goes straight into the Gulf, or hits Florida first on its way there. There is one model that has it going up and hitting the Carolinas though.

SINCE THE DEPRESSION HAS JUST FORMED...THE INITIAL INTENSITY IS A

LITTLE BIT UNCERTAIN. THE BEST ESTIMATE IS 275 DEGREES AT 14 KNOTS.

THE

DEPRESSION IS LOCATED SOUTH OF A STRONG SUBTROPICAL RIDGE WHICH IS

BUILDING AND EXPANDING WESTWARD ACCORDING TO MOST OF THE GLOBAL

MODELS. THIS PATTERN CALLS FOR A GENERAL WEST TO WEST-NORTHWEST

TRACK FOR THE NEXT 2 TO 3 DAYS. THEREFATER...AS THE HIGH BUILDS

FARTHER WESTWARD...THE CYCLONE COULD TURN MORE TO THE WEST. THE

OFFICIAL FORECAST IS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GUIDANCE ENVELOPE AND

VERY CLOSE TO THE MODEL CONSENSUS. SINCE THE TRACK GUIDANCE IS

RATHER TIGHT...THE FORECAST CONFIDENCE IS RELATIVELY HIGH.

They seem fairly confident that it won't gain much latitude, which would take it to the Gulf of Mexico. Those storms that track that far are usually threats to the CONUS. It would have to be lower for it to hit Mexico.

Did Gustav remnant weather patterns bring our nice weather we're having? Has anyone noticed how cool it was last night/this morning?

Macbro, that was actually a small cool front that is what actually pushed Gustav into Louisiana and spared us. Unfortunately it will be back to normal tomorrow or the next day.

Did Gustav remnant weather patterns bring our nice weather we're having? Has anyone noticed how cool it was last night/this morning?

Slightly.

The circulation of Gustav tends to suck in the moisture, and it can leave drier air away from its path.

Could Ike be shaping up to be Andrew redux?

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/track...ay.html#a_topad

Macbro, that was actually a small cool front that is what actually pushed Gustav into Louisiana and spared us. Unfortunately it will be back to normal tomorrow or the next day.

Yay! I went outside this morning and it was cool. I hate that. Bring the hot back.

I think Hanna would've churned up a bunch of cold water, preventing Ike from doing what Andrew did. OTOH, Haiti's president has indicated that the storm may have already killed thousands, so it's not really a blessing.

Ike looks like it will do some major damage wherever it goes. Brace yourself Florida. I'm nervous for them.

Archived