Lyric Center Building & Market At 440 Louisiana St.

Guest gcbrewer2

Guest gcbrewer2

Does anyone know what year the Lyric Center was built?

Also, does anyone know the name of the white building about 30 floors, located somewhere between the Lyric center and the JPMorgan Chase tower? When viewed from the west, it has rectangular windows in the center of the building that are longer vertically than horizontally. The windows on the north and south edges are more square shaped. It is relatively new and I don't see any info on it in the list of downtown buildings?

Been away from Houston for a while so any help would be appriciated.

I was thinking the Calpine Buidling too. That building was compelted in 2003 I believe and was developed by Hines for Calpine Energy. During the construction of the building Calpine went through some turmoil and nearly defaulted on many of their loans. They managed to survive but when the building was completed Calpine only physically occupied 1/2 of the SF they had leased. So when the building came on line there was some 200k SF on the SubLease market. I am not sure the occupancy of the building today.

I tried to find what year the Lyric Center was built. It was sometime between 81-83. I will keep looking to see if I can find you for you.

Guest gcbrewer2

Thanks everybody. I have my answers. Lyric was finished in 1984. The other building I was talking about is Calpine. I just didn't recognize it from the photo on the buildings page.

• 10 years later...

From the Downtown RE 2Q Update 

In addition to major upgrades to Lyric Centre such as a lobby makeover, a fitness center for tenants, an upgraded deli and new landscaping, US Property Management will replace their parking lot with a 450-space parking garage. The garage’s first level will be retail, with two parking levels above for retail and public parking and two subgrade levels for tenants. Construction should begin in about eight months, with garage completion 2Q17.
  • Like 9

That end of downtown could use both more retail and more parking - both of which would be coming on line right about the same time as the Market Square residential high rises.  

I'd bet they are aiming for just that with the retail slots.

The other lots that look ripe for picking are the half block next to the Houston Ballet building and the Chase drive-thru bank across from Kim Son. 

Phonecia seems crowded every time I go there now, someone is going to step up and add a grocery store somewhere once these few thousand new residences come online.

• Like 1

I guess the two levels of retail/public parking effectively replace the two surface lots lost to the two Market Square high-rises. On the other hand, this delays the chance of any high rise residential development here, a nice spot looking onto the bayou park.

I guess the two levels of retail/public parking effectively replace the two surface lots lost to the two Market Square high-rises. On the other hand, this delays the chance of any high rise residential development here, a nice spot looking onto the bayou park.

There's a ton of residential in the pipeline already.  This preserves the view for the north facing offices in Lyric.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Lyric Centre has announced that a parking garage will be constructed on the surface lot to the north of the building.  Details are being finalized, but they expect ground-breaking to begin in the first quarter of 2016.  The ground floor of the garage will feature retail space.  This is in addition to other updates to the building to make it more competitive in the leasing market.  I will follow-up when I have additional information.

• 2 months later...