Black Hope Cemetery

celiene

Hi All,

I am wondering if any of you are familiar with the "Black Hope Curse", named for the "Black Hope" cemetery....... strange "paranormal activity"---hauntings in the area homes built upon this cemetery

The sub name is "Newport" which was/is an upscale neighborhood in the Crosby, Texas area ( NE side--around Lake Houston) there was an Unsolved Mystery done about the area, a book called the Black Curse----and a movie---loosely based on this case ( Patty Duke stared in the movie--something with "Hilltop Drive" in the title ( boy, am I getting old---must be having a "senior moment" here, LOL!!! :lol: )

www.unsolvedmysteries.com/usm277410.html

Nobody knows anything about this area--or do you just not want to "comment"??? Now, that's not like you guys........

There was a "TLC Property Ladder" on today that featured a flipper selling a home in that area---mentioned the "curse" also.................

Home had been vacant for "6 YEARS"

Man, all this "cr*p" sure screwed with property values---that's why I wonder why the builder would want to go back "in there" and try building there again ( if that is true......that's why I'm asking) and wondering just what else the home owners tried to do to get this straightened out in the past ( long time ago...that's why I posted it under this section instead of the Kingwood area forum )

Some of you "mega-posters" from the Kingwood area gotta "be in the know" here!!

Anyway---suprise, suprise---there are folks out there who "look" for haunted houses---do a search on haunted houses for sale---it will shock the cr*p out of you!!! LOL!!!

Quite a few of them in Texas, too ( both haunted houses, and people loooking to buy one)

Hi All,

I am wondering if any of you are familiar with the "Black Hope Curse", named for the "Black Hope" cemetery....... strange "paranormal activity"---hauntings in the area homes built upon this cemetery

The sub name is "Newport" which was/is an upscale neighborhood in the Crosby, Texas area ( NE side--around Lake Houston) there was an Unsolved Mystery done about the area, a book called the Black Curse----and a movie---loosely based on this case ( Patty Duke stared in the movie--something with "Hilltop Drive" in the title ( boy, am I getting old---must be having a "senior moment" here, LOL!!! :lol: )

It's a pretty mean "joke" to play on the homeowners of the area if there isn't any truth to the "paranormal activities"

Like I said--shot the home values to "____" Maybe they can rent them out for Halloween parties LOL!! ( why does the movie "Bettleguese" come to mind here.....)

Bad idea to build on a known cemetery, anyway

Hunter,

I read that, too

And I've scanned Google pages relating to this topic pages deep--and other paranormal sites also--just amazing stuff.......

I guess there is also a known Indian Burial ground there, too, and that the original developer was named "Diamondhead" or something of that sort

Amazing thing was reading that that developer ( or maybe another developer) would want to go back in there and finish off the development---as there are vacant homes and forclosures thru-out the sub ( mostly due to the stories)

On another Houston board some gal had posted about a home in Newport---why was it so "cheap"---why had it been on the market since 2005, what was "wrong with it"...............

Glad the other posters "clued her in" and posted info about the area

Whether she, or anyone else "believes" in the paranormal, or not-----I would have to say--it's still one bad investment...........

I once read from a post that the author of the orginal Poltergeist movie put up, that he had based the story line from reports that came from the Black Hope subdivision here in the Houston area.

I think the time frame would be wrong for that. The movie came out in 82, the same year these supposed hauntings took place.

I personaly think that the movie had more to do with the "Black hope curse" story, than the other way around. Maybe that's just me though. B)

Rhino

• 3 weeks later...
Hi All,

My son has lived in Newport for 6+ years and has told me several "ghost" stories related to his home, which is in the older part of the subdivision. It was bought from my daughter-in-laws aunt who also said it was haunted. Until my family was here, getting a safe distance from Ike, did they tell me the history of Newport. This of course spurred me to do some research. I have not been able to find out much other that there was poper cemetary and possibly an Indian burial ground, but I have just begun.

The activity is real in the area, although I do not believe it is talked about openly. Luckily in my sons case the sightings in his home are peaceful and not threatening, except for that "one time". I was to chicken to ask what the one time was because I was staying in his house at the time. They basicly see shadowy figures going down the hall or through a room. One night he awoke to a what he described as a woman in white floating beside his bed looking down on him, he was more facinated and calmer than he thought he could be and said she gave him a feeling of peace.

That prospect of money will override any historic value or thinking to even relocate the dead. I hope a few of the "ghosts" followed the developer around.

Gran8

Hi All,

Gran8,

That is pretty interesting about the happenings in your son's home....

I hope that the "one time" did not scare the heck out of the kids--if there were any kids living at home at that time

I'm glad that " whatever" it is in your son's home---that it is peaceful and non-threatening....

I don't pretend to know much about the paranormal---but like you--I have been trying to read up on this---there have been police reports made ( by the police) and others who admit that there is still abnormal activity of some sort in the area......

Obviously---Unknowily, there has been homes build over burial areas of all sorts in the past, and not every area like this reports such activity--so it is interesting

Keep us abreast of any new info that you may come across...... :D

• 1 month later...

I lived in the house where the original graves were uncovered during the time the movie for television with Patti Duke came out. It is on the corner of Poppets Court and Poppets Way. The graves where discovered when the previous owners put a swimming pool in. My husband, teenage daughter and I lived there for about 3 years. During that time we never experienced any paranormal activity but were continually harrassed by the media and public during that time. CBS actually aired the movie and had someone from the CBS national morning show come out to interview us. The house faced Poppets Court but the garage and back yard faced Poppets Way. I explained to the reporter that we did not want to be interviewed but found my "interview" ended up on the CBS morning show.

People continually knocked on the front and back doors wanting to see the graves and the markers on the trees. In the three years we lived there my daughter and a set of girl twins who lived in the Williams' old house camped out in the back yard day and night, swam in the pool, played on the trampoline and never once were scared. Of course there was a privacy fence around the yard but often as not we caught people climbing over the fence to get a look. Again, we found nothing that would lead us to believe there was anything ghostly going on in the house or in the yard. The twins relayed they had never had any scary experiences either. I went back by the house several years after we moved from Crosby and it was in run down condition, looked scarier then:)

i grew up in the area and all i heard (in the late 70's) was speculation of an indian graveyard on the southern side of diamondhead. At the time there was just a contractor's dump back there. I believe they have built it up. Also was told of ghost sightings at end of road that was the first little road toward the river on north side of RR tracks on 2100

• 1 month later...

biloxisunset,

WOW. You lived in The Haney's old home? Did you know about all this stuff before you moved in? I completely believe you that you and your family never experienced anything, but do you really believe the entire thing was a hoax? Do you think The Haney's and The Williams (and at least 4 other families) just lied? I can't help but wonder if at least 'something' happened to those two families. Yea, it was likely blown way out of proportion, but...still... I can't help but wonder if it's a true story.

I am curious what you think about this and thanks for posting.

Scott

I lived in the house where the original graves were uncovered during the time the movie for television with Patti Duke came out. It is on the corner of Poppets Court and Poppets Way. The graves where discovered when the previous owners put a swimming pool in. My husband, teenage daughter and I lived there for about 3 years. During that time we never experienced any paranormal activity but were continually harrassed by the media and public during that time. CBS actually aired the movie and had someone from the CBS national morning show come out to interview us. The house faced Poppets Court but the garage and back yard faced Poppets Way. I explained to the reporter that we did not want to be interviewed but found my "interview" ended up on the CBS morning show.

People continually knocked on the front and back doors wanting to see the graves and the markers on the trees. In the three years we lived there my daughter and a set of girl twins who lived in the Williams' old house camped out in the back yard day and night, swam in the pool, played on the trampoline and never once were scared. Of course there was a privacy fence around the yard but often as not we caught people climbing over the fence to get a look. Again, we found nothing that would lead us to believe there was anything ghostly going on in the house or in the yard. The twins relayed they had never had any scary experiences either. I went back by the house several years after we moved from Crosby and it was in run down condition, looked scarier then:)

• 4 months later...

Yes, we were informed by our real estate agent about the house and the neighborhood but I believe that if you surround yourself with good, then only good will come to you. I know that there were graves there but I chose to caretake those graves rather than get frightened or believe that the souls that were once laid to rest there were demonizing me or my family. Yet another reason I forbid the media or looky loos to come into the yard to gawk. I am sorry for the experiences that the Williams and Haneys suffered while living in the subdivision but I do not believe God sends evil to us in that way. As I told the reporter from the CBS morning show, we probably have all lived where someone has passed or is buried....too many wars and generations in our country's history. I also believe there was some grand standing and folks out to make money. Unfortunatley some did but others lost because of the publicity and property values. The original developers should have disclosed the circumstances of the area prior to selling to the original owners. I am not saying anyone lied nor do I believe anyone willingly created a hoax. I do know that stress is a great tool of the devil's and can play horrible tricks on one's mind allowing us to believe things. We loved living in the house and in the area and hope to return to Crosby some day.

biloxisunset,

WOW. You lived in The Haney's old home? Did you know about all this stuff before you moved in? I completely believe you that you and your family never experienced anything, but do you really believe the entire thing was a hoax? Do you think The Haney's and The Williams (and at least 4 other families) just lied? I can't help but wonder if at least 'something' happened to those two families. Yea, it was likely blown way out of proportion, but...still... I can't help but wonder if it's a true story.

I am curious what you think about this and thanks for posting.

Scott

• 8 years later...
  • The title was changed to Black Hope Curse
  • The title was changed to Black Hope Cemetery

Archived