West Pearland Library At 11801 Shadow Creek Pkwy.

Help bring a library to West Pearland! The Pearland Westside Library Task Force will host a town meeting on Thursday, August 28 at 7 p.m. to discuss plans to locate possible sites for a library, prepare a proposal to Pearland and Brazoria County leaders, and create a Friends of the Library organization. The meeting takes place at the Shadow Creek Ranch Visitor's Center, located at Shadow Creek Ranch Parkway and Kirby Drive. For more information, write to contact@fopwl.org

Saw this under another topic and thought it might be helpful to post here. Wasn't sure how to link....

Help bring a library to West Pearland! The Pearland Westside Library Task Force will host a town meeting on Thursday, August 28 at 7 p.m. to discuss plans to locate possible sites for a library, prepare a proposal to Pearland and Brazoria County leaders, and create a Friends of the Library organization. The meeting takes place at the Shadow Creek Ranch Visitor's Center, located at Shadow Creek Ranch Parkway and Kirby Drive. For more information, write to contact@fopwl.org

www.fowpl.org

I was just out an an errand and saw a sign promoting the group. I was going to post the information here, but you beat me to it.

The FOWPL web site has a survey asking for people to give input. I just filled it out, since I can't attend the meeting.

I think it would be great to open a small library in one of those empty storefronts on Shadow Creek Parkway. Once it's up and running, that would help with gaining volunteers, support, and fundraising for permanent facility.

I was just out an an errand and saw a sign promoting the group. I was going to post the information here, but you beat me to it.

The FOWPL web site has a survey asking for people to give input. I just filled it out, since I can't attend the meeting.

I think it would be great to open a small library in one of those empty storefronts on Shadow Creek Parkway. Once it's up and running, that would help with gaining volunteers, support, and fundraising for permanent facility.

It was my understanding from the Shadow Creek Ranch community plans that we were slated to have a public library near where the police station is supposed to be located. In any case, am very pleased that we have a volunteer group spearheading the effort to establish a library here. With the number of homes and schools in the area, we need a good public library for our children as well as senior folks in particular.

I have seen and used store front libraries, and, quite frankly, was not impressed. If we are going to do this then we need to do it right from the beginning, but in stages. Also, am concerned that if the library store front or otherwise is going to be situated where the Shadow Creek Ranch visitor center is we are asking children to cross an incredibly busy intersection. If a library is created, and it should, it ought to be located on the Shadow Creek Ranch side of the Parkway for easy accessibility by the community.

Would any SCR library be a branch of Brazoria County? The sign along SCR Parkway that has been there forever is in Brazoria County. Or would it be a city of Pearland library? Teaming up with Brazoria or Harris would give access to a lot more books from sister libraries. I don't know how this works.

I agree that putting it on the "outside" of SCR is a bad idea. It needs to be on the inside, preferably as close to the center of SCR as possible. I don't like the idea of keeping everything on the perimeter of the development as it stifles the sense of community. The Laura Ingalls Wilder school is the most centric non-residential building.

Just to clarify, take a look at the web page for the Pearland Library: http://bcls.lib.tx.us/branches/pea/pearland.asp. It is a branch of the Brazoria County Library System. The Houston Public Library is free for residents of the State of Texas. There is an Interlibrary Loan System where the Brazoria County libraries can obtain books which they do not actually keep in their own collections.

Some additional thoughts: It's likely that the "service area" for this library would be much larger than just SCR. It in order to be viable, it might have to include pretty much all of Pearland west of Cullen. After all, Pearland currently can afford only one library on the east end of town. Thus, it needs to be accessible to people coming from Silverlake, Southern Trails, etc.

It's been noted elsewhere on HAIF that 2234 will be widened and improved, probably by 2010 or 2011. Hopefully some stages, including the part by Reflection Bay (the new Hyatt and shopping centers) could be improved earlier and a stop-light and sidewalks could be added there. The proposed library site is on the north side of 2234 just down from Reflection Bay.

If a permanent facility were to be built, planning, approvals, and fundraising would likely take several years. It would certainly be later than the road improvements.

I like the idea that some children will be able to walk or bike to the library, and I recognize the concern about crossing a busy street. However, I also tend to think that those who are old enough and motivated enough to go to the library on their own are also smart enough to cross with the stop-light. Most of the other undeveloped sites in SCR are already slated for something else, and I don't know if there are any in the "center" of it. In any case, a site in the "center" of SCR probably would not be as accessible to users from other parts of West Pearland.

I wouldn't cross 2234 on foot with or without stoplights for at least five years. By then, the speed limit will be 30 mph and there will be 8 to 10 stoplights from 521 to 288.

I understand that the library should be accessible to a large number of people. But some should still be able to walk to it. I mean, the most accessible place to the largest number of people would be to put it over by the HEB but I don't see that as beneficial.

I wouldn't cross 2234 on foot with or without stoplights for at least five years. By then, the speed limit will be 30 mph and there will be 8 to 10 stoplights from 521 to 288.

I understand that the library should be accessible to a large number of people. But some should still be able to walk to it. I mean, the most accessible place to the largest number of people would be to put it over by the HEB but I don't see that as beneficial.

I would personally prefer that side of town. The new fire station will be close to the HEB; I think they have plety of room around that area to make it happen.

However, if the proposed UT campus north of 2234 happens and if all the Spectrum Industrial/Office development starts to develop as it should, probably 2234 area is a better fit as the developers of SCR had in mind in their original plans.

However, if the proposed UT campus north of 2234 happens and if all the Spectrum Industrial/Office development starts to develop as it should, probably 2234 area is a better fit as the developers of SCR had in mind in their original plans.

Is this going to be an undergrad school or a graduate school?

Is this going to be an undergrad school or a graduate school?

On the current SCR map, the facility is labeled UT Health Science Center. I've googled it but can't find any details, so I don't know if it's envisioned as a teaching facility, a clinical facility, or both.

FWIW, if a spot could be located on 518 between the HEB and Kingsley -- maybe near that church? -- it would be walkable from both SCR and Southern Trails. The road improvements and traffic lights here should be in by the end of the year.

• The title was changed to Proposal For West Pearland Library
  • The title was changed to West Pearland Library At 11801 Shadow Creek Pkwy.

Archived