Greenspoint Mall Memories

Wildcats

I've never been to Greenspoint, just passed it by on 45 north. Is the mall and the surrounding area similar to Sharpstown? Do these two areas share a similar story?

IMO, Greenspoint and Sharpstown were once both nice malls in nice areas, but declined. To me, I think the "feel" of Greenspoint is more similar to Northwest Mall than Sharpstown.

IMO, Greenspoint and Sharpstown were once both nice malls in nice areas, but declined. To me, I think the "feel" of Greenspoint is more similar to Northwest Mall than Sharpstown.

I really do feel greater Greenspoint is a much nicer area than what the Sharpstown area has become. They have a very active civic association and several north Houston chambers of commerce which are actively developing partnerships and plans for the area. Also, considering the whole area is minutes from the airport (and its expansion), two major freeways (Beltway 8 and I-45), and it's 'close proximity to downtown' (literally it's about 17 minutes give or take), it has a good chance of becoming a hub again. However, until there is a mixed use development or high end condos to replace the multitude of low-income apartments that surround the areas to the east of the mall, we'll still be talking about this for months in the future.

Of course this has been discussed for years and change is slow, but I would give the nod to GPM.

Absolutely stunning!

It's such a far cry from this shot, of the same place. Everything is a stark white, the upper level is closed...

When I saw castle's picture it brought back long forgotten memories. That same image is what I must have seen in 1977 or '78 when I first went out on my own to shop for Chirstmas presents for my mother and sister. At that time compared to the Foley's at Northwest Mall and the downtown store (the only others with which I was familiar) the Greenspoint Foleys seemed really classy.

When I saw IronTiger's photo (remember I haven't been in the GP store since probably 1980) an expletive popped into my brain which fortunately didn't pass my lips. Maybe is is just as well the Foley's name no longer exists.

Perhaps malls really are on their way out. I've avoided them for years and big department stores too. I get my dress shirts from a gentleman who has a shop in the Galleria area (but not too close to that mall) and my slacks and suit coats fit fine, with minor alteration, off the rack from Joseph Bank. Nice shoes: On-line (price always beats the local retail stores and I've yet to have a problem with fit or condition of the merchandise). Sports clothes and footwear: Academy.

Why not the malls? It's a lot convenience, a little the perceived security (lack thereof actually), but mostly it's just depressing to go into a place you once thought was so wonderful and see it look so neglected and dead.

When I saw castle's picture it brought back long forgotten memories. That same image is what I must have seen in 1977 or '78 when I first went out on my own to shop for Chirstmas presents for my mother and sister. At that time compared to the Foley's at Northwest Mall and the downtown store (the only others with which I was familiar) the Greenspoint Foleys seemed really classy.

When I saw IronTiger's photo (remember I haven't been in the GP store since probably 1980) an expletive popped into my brain which fortunately didn't pass my lips. Maybe is is just as well the Foley's name no longer exists.

Perhaps malls really are on their way out. I've avoided them for years and big department stores too. I get my dress shirts from a gentleman who has a shop in the Galleria area (but not too close to that mall) and my slacks and suit coats fit fine, with minor alteration, off the rack from Joseph Bank. Nice shoes: On-line (price always beats the local retail stores and I've yet to have a problem with fit or condition of the merchandise). Sports clothes and footwear: Academy.

Why not the malls? It's a lot convenience, a little the perceived security (lack thereof actually), but mostly it's just depressing to go into a place you once thought was so wonderful and see it look so neglected and dead.

I agree. Foley's was a really classy store, especially when they were originally owned by Federated prior to the sell off in 1988 to May Company. They used to have the fur salons, personal shoppers, in-store restaurants (the Greenhouse at the branch stores that had awesome cheese soup), watch & jewelry repair, photo studios, beauty salons, travel department, carpets, lamps, in store cooking demonstrations with local celebrities like Ninfa Lorenzo of Ninfa's, toys, books, full Godiva candy department and bakery goods that came fresh from the downtown store daily and many other departments. May took Foley's a little downmarket but Macy's really takes the cake. The current incarnation of Macy's is nothing like the high end department store it was when it was RH Macy's. When you see their Chinese made Alfani instead of Armani it really exudes a lack of quality and class.

To quote hydeaway: "When you see their Chinese made Alfani instead of Armani it really exudes a lack of quality and class."

"Exuding a lack of class" is a great phrase. I'm no snob (o.k. I'm a bit of a snob) and I'm definitely not wealthy but I prefer to pay for all the quality I can afford. There is no more "quality ladder" for retail merchandise, i.e. TG&Y, Wiener's, Penny's, Foley's, Neiman-Marcus. Now it is, to some extent, "pay your money and take your chances." <_<

• 3 weeks later...

Frankly, I'm surprised that Greenspoint Mall has lasted this long. Oftentimes, once a major crime happens, the mall goes way downhill, often completes some great remodel but can't be saved, and the whole thing is razed. Look at Mall of Memphis (Dead Malls.com) or Pinellas Square Mall (later ParkSide Mall)...two malls that could not be saved...both had functional ice rinks at death.

What saved Greenspoint Mall is the fact that it fulfills the "urban mall" niche: it survives by luring nearby office workers into its food court. The situation at Greenspoint won't worsen unless more violent crimes happen.

Frankly, I'm surprised that Greenspoint Mall has lasted this long. Oftentimes, once a major crime happens, the mall goes way downhill, often completes some great remodel but can't be saved, and the whole thing is razed. Look at Mall of Memphis (Dead Malls.com) or Pinellas Square Mall (later ParkSide Mall)...two malls that could not be saved...both had functional ice rinks at death.

What saved Greenspoint Mall is the fact that it fulfills the "urban mall" niche: it survives by luring nearby office workers into its food court. The situation at Greenspoint won't worsen unless more violent crimes happen.

I agree that the mall is surviving because of nearby office workers. Although Memorial City Mall was saved by the great remodel. I also think the reason why Greenspoint didn't make it was because of the surrounding neighborhoods. There aren't any. It's mostly apartments. The neighborhoods that are there are not so great. On the other hand Memorial is surrounded by Memorial and their villages and spring branch. Whatever happen to Greenspoint's remodeling plan? I guess it's not happening after all.

• Like 1

Supposedly JCPenney was to be a convention center (it's labeled as such) but I don't think it's ever used or was really remodeled to suit that purpose.

I miss Foley's, too. It was the last of the hometown department stores. When you think about how involved they all used to be in civic support, etc. Foley's, Sakowitz, Joske's, Craig's, Walter Pye's, Isabell Gerhart, the true Beall's and Palais Royal - when they were separate entities and unique. Remember the Foley's Thanksgiving Day Parade? the Foley's Academy in the basement downtown for kids struggling in school?

Each region used to have their own stores, history and traditions. Look at Marshall Fields and what they meant to Chicago. Burdine's to Florida, Rich's to Atlanta, Bullock's, I Magnin and The Broadway to southern California.

It is a real shame. Southern California, for instance, used to have May Co., The Broadway, Macy's (the original RH Macy Co. - not the Kmart of today), I Magnin, Emporium, Capwell's, Bullock's, Bullock's Wilshire, Robinson's, Gottschalks and Harris'. Now all they have is ONE - Macy's. Talk about no competition. Where are all the bleeding hearts and their talk of anti trust problems? Virtually every market across the country is in the same position. It all started with the greed on Wall Street allowing Campeau ( a real estate tycoon from Canada) to purchase Allied Stores and then Federated Dept Stores -- all with junk bonds, none of his money --- which eventually caused the bankruptcy and consolidation of centuries old icons. Read "Going For Broke" and "The Rain on Macy's Parade". Both very good books on this debacle.

• 3 months later...

It's probably by a long shot, but who was the architect of this mall? Maybe they have some early publicity photos/architect's renderings. Anyway, although I have no idea what the mall actually looked like, I kind of imagined it looking like this (except with different skylights and stuff)

12Trees_ca1980_02.jpg

• 4 months later...

Just a short update, Sears has announced that they are closing their store at Greenspoint sometime in May. The announcement in the Chronicle also states that the former JCPenney space is being released as a 20 screen theater. This is the ultimate turning point, I could easily see Dillards or Macy's leaving if things don't turn around very soon.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/6880268.html

Also, thanks to everyone who posted the vintage photos!

As someone that lives and works in the area I have mixed feelings. I work for the college which has a branch just across the freeway (Beltway 8) and we were/are hoping for a revival of the area. It has such potential, but so do a lot of things I guess.

I do think a theater might be a good option. I do kind of favor the open-air, town center concept and wonder with all those acres, would it be better to build something like that...?

• 2 weeks later...

As someone that lives and works in the area I have mixed feelings. I work for the college which has a branch just across the freeway (Beltway 8) and we were/are hoping for a revival of the area. It has such potential, but so do a lot of things I guess.

I do think a theater might be a good option. I do kind of favor the open-air, town center concept and wonder with all those acres, would it be better to build something like that...?

Considering the people who live in and frequent the area, the chance for any real revival is slim to nill.

I find it hard to believe that the mall will be able to survive without Sears. And a theater? In this part of the city?

Won't work.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Considering the people who live in and frequent the area, the chance for any real revival is slim to nill.

I find it hard to believe that the mall will be able to survive without Sears. And a theater? In this part of the city?

Won't work.

I work in the Greenspoint area as some of you know, and have been watching the demise of GP for quite a few years now. I too remember when Greenspoint mall was the measuring stick compared to all others. Someone made the reference to Greenspoint being more like NW Mall than Sharpstown. This was true when GP first opened in 76. The first two anchors in GP were Sears and Foley's, much like NW Mall was JC Penney's and Foley's. That didn't last very long at all as it was just a couple of years later that Joske's was added to GP then Montgomery Wards, Penney's, and Lord & Taylor's. GP far surpassed NW Mall in a very short amount of time. In my recollection, Greenspoint Mall died the day the City of Houston put the 56 Metro line to Greenspoint.

The person that posted the pics of the center court has a pretty good idea of what it looked like internally, of course what mall didn't have that decor in the 70's? There was a huge balcony above the food court that allowed you to gaze down on shoppers while they made their way down the corridor. I made a trip over to Sears last week to see what all the hub-bub was about. It is flat being wiped out. Without Sears, GP Mall is driving in the final nail in the coffin. Dillard's has some very strange hours. Some days it opens at 10am, others at noon, and some days it just doesn't open at all. Macy's has taken a once beautiful Foley's store and "Sand Dollared" it. I had the opportunity to go into the JC Penney's box (GP Event Center). Nothing has been done to the interior of the old store whatsoever. It is unused by anyone at this point, other than for storage purposes. It was only used for events on a couple of occasions. KBR is still using the old Montgomery Ward's store for processing contract workers heading to Afghanistan and Iraq. But for how much longer? We are already hearing word of that concluding sometime before year's end.

A movie theater? Really? While there are NO theaters in GP anymore, I am in agreement that this will probably not be the best ROI. Greens Crossing couldn't even make it as a $1 theater, and the GP 5 closed in the mid 90's due to violence.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

my mother worked at levitts jewelers when they first opened in 1976, we lived in the rushwood subdivision--i hated it...she then became the manager of kathy james jewelry around 1979 also at greens point. i recently went back and visited rushwood after about 30 years and while it looked better than i thought it would the pool area had kindov a post apocolyptic feel which was strange as i rememeber it being gleaming and new with lots of activity and it was abondoned with black water in the bottom of the pool.

any other memories of greenspoint/rushwood from the mid-late 70's is very cool

Thanks for that list Firebird, and the memories.

I used to go to that mall back in the late 70's when I lived off Louetta near Kuykendahl. Greenspoint was THE mall for the northwest suburbs, and I loved going to Oshman's and the movies.

I stopped going when Willowbrook Mall opened up and haven't been back since the late '80's.

Whenever I fly into town and take 45 into the city these days, I always look over at what used to be palace of north suburbia.

BTW, before Greenspoint went up in what was the far north, Aldine was a pretty nice suburban area full of young families. I lived there through Kindergarten . . . Hidden Valley Elementary!

thats cool firebird, how did you get all of the original info about the mall?

• 5 months later...

thats cool firebird, how did you get all of the original info about the mall?

Wow... hate to be SIX MONTHS late in replying, LOL!, but I just now saw your post. Hope it's not too late!

I got my info from the two local papers. I went back to the July and August 1976 Houston Post and Chronicle editions on the UH Library microfilms. They had special editions on the opening of the mall, complete with a map and roster of all the stores on opening day. I printed them out and posted the results here. Unfortunately, I no longer have the printouts, but they are very easily recovered. I just have to go back to the UH library.

• 3 weeks later...

Last week, I had an opportunity --my first-- to drive past the mall. The Sears was empty, the theater had a really tacky facade, and the old Foley's almost had a shade of green. Was it originally colored green, or was that just the result of fading and weathering?

Last week, I had an opportunity --my first-- to drive past the mall. The Sears was empty, the theater had a really tacky facade, and the old Foley's almost had a shade of green. Was it originally colored green, or was that just the result of fading and weathering?

The Sears isn't just empty, it's closed. Macy's and Dillard's are the only anchors left. That Macy's keeps getting greener and greener. I don't believe it was originally that color but more tannish in appearance. Knowing that mall, it's probably some kind of mold or fungus.

• 2 weeks later...

When I was in high school in 1981-1985, our drafting class was shown blueprints for an upscale mall that was to be built in the Greens Crossing portion of Greenspoint just across the freeway. It was to include a Bloomingdales and an ice skating rink. The Paragon building(s) -- one of three that was actually built -- was supposed to be connected via a skywalk. When the energy bust came, the plans were scrapped and they build the now defunct "power center" that had included Phar Mor, Children's Palace Toys, Circuit City, etc on the site. Did anyone else see those blueprints or know about this? What was the name of the planned mall? Any other prospective tenants you were aware of? It shows how upscale Greenspoint was at its zenith. Remember Lord & Taylor, Walter Pyes, Benetton, Jarrod's Polo Shop, Isabell Gerhart and other high end stores Greenspoint Mall had in its quiver?

Does anyone have any pictures of Greenspoint in its heyday?

I have in my possession Aldine's yearbooks from 1976 to 1996. In them (especially some of the early ones) there are shots in the ads section of some of the stores in the mall. Nothing spectacular, mind you. No pics of the Sears or Foley's. But I believe there may be a few worth posting.

Obviously the BEST source for information would be the mall itself, but I've got $5 no one there knows a doggone thing about any history of the mall and what little history there is is so poorly organized it's almost not worth going through.

Second best place would be the two special newspaper advertising sections the Houston newspapers put out when the mall opened in 1976. I've been told by the Chronicle that they do not own the copyright on the advertising. That resides with the advertiser. And according to copyright law, copyrighted material published or created before 1978 had a copyright good for 28 years (which would be up to August 2004, in this case), when it could be renewed. But c'mon... you really think Dillard's or Macy's is going to bother renewing copyrights on obscure ads from Joske's or Foley's? So I would feel absolutely confident we could post the ads and photos here without legal problem.

However, when you make a printout from the UH microfilm, you lose the clarity of the photo. The ads would come out fine. Those could then be scanned. But the only way to get a photo off the microfilm is to take a picture of the reader's screen. That never seems to work out well.

I'm busy working on a history of Aldine High School (if anyone has anything to contribute to that, please see the corresponding thread in "Other Houston Neighborhoods) and may not be able to make it to UH any time soon. If I do, and if I remember, I'll print out one or the other (they're pretty much identical sections).

I will scan and post the Greenspoint related photos and ads from the Aldine High yearbook. Those are not copyrighted (I've checked).