Greenspoint Mall Memories

Wildcats

The stores in the Foley's wing were Video Concepts, Gap, 579, The Berry Tree, Silverman's, Champs, Regal Touch, Sweeney's, (later J Riggings that moved from the Sears wing) and Bag N Baggage/Houston Trunk Factory. Do you remember these? :

Going towards Wards -

Piccadilly, Kathy James, Coach House, Graves, Footgear, Southern Fabrics, Wicks N Sticks, Funway Freeway, Things Remembered, Lerner, DoctoRX pets, Ritz Camera, Jewels by Jason, (later Chick Fil A) and Dunderbaks. Of course, the General Cinema was down there, too.

Down towards the Scuplture Court and the Waterfall main corridor -

Jarrods and Body Shop, Isabell Gerhart - a very nice dress salon, Gordon's, OakTree, Bealls/Battelsteins with Palais Royal down from them, Haus Edelweiss, Hickory Farms, Levitz Jewelers, Bennetton, Foxmoor, Contempo Casuals, Joyce Bertram Bath and Boudior, Chess King, County Seat, Morrow's nut house, Florsheim, Corrigans, American Express Travel, Oshman's, Florsheim, Oshman's, Berolina (outside Lord & Taylor), Johnston & Murphy, Timex AllTime watch store, Hanover Shoes and Danskin Dancewear.

Outside Penney's -

Southern Fabrics, Leopold, Price and Rolle - which also had an entrance in the main corridor, The Limited.

Outside Lord & Taylor -

Berolina, Storehouse, Gingiss Formalwear, Intellitrix game shop, Ventura Formalwear, Rings and Things.

Sears Wing:

Casual Corner, Thom McCan shoes, Pickwick Music, Jean Nicole, Baldwin Lively Organs/Pianos, TSO, Children's Place, World Bazaar, Margo's LaMode and B Dalton's Books. There was a fabric place that I can't remember the name to.

Remember the Children's court? It had those three dimensional cube things that we could play in. They were yellow and red. It had a rubber floor so you could jump without getting hurt.

The stores around it were: Zales, Kinderfoto, Shelley's Tall Girls.

The Patio: Brother's Pizza, Steve's sandwich shop, Taco Spot, Baskin Robbins, Original Cookie Co. Famous Ramos Pretzel shoppe, The Polar Bar, Famous Ramos hot dog shoppe, Hamburger Station and Chinese Wok.

Joske's wing:

York Steakhouse, Petite Sophisticate, Ups N Downs, Shelley's Surf Shop, Model A Station, Black, Starr & Frost Jewelers, James Avery, Houlihans, Dalts, Kay Bee Toys, Walter Pye's, StrideRite and Accessory Lady.

Across from the mall was the Scooby Doo Fun Factory Pizza which later became Birra Poretti's. Maggie's was also across the street. Best and Victoria Station were a little further down Green's Road. Remember University Savings by Fajitas and Monterey House?

The stores in the Foley's wing were Video Concepts, Gap, 579, The Berry Tree, Silverman's, Champs, Regal Touch, Sweeney's, (later J Riggings that moved from the Sears wing) and Bag N Baggage/Houston Trunk Factory. Do you remember these? :

Going towards Wards -

Piccadilly, Kathy James, Coach House, Graves, Footgear, Southern Fabrics, Wicks N Sticks, Funway Freeway, Things Remembered, Lerner, DoctoRX pets, Ritz Camera, Jewels by Jason, (later Chick Fil A) and Dunderbaks. Of course, the General Cinema was down there, too.

Down towards the Scuplture Court and the Waterfall main corridor -

Jarrods and Body Shop, Isabell Gerhart - a very nice dress salon, Gordon's, OakTree, Bealls/Battelsteins with Palais Royal down from them, Haus Edelweiss, Hickory Farms, Levitz Jewelers, Bennetton, Foxmoor, Contempo Casuals, Joyce Bertram Bath and Boudior, Chess King, County Seat, Morrow's nut house, Florsheim, Corrigans, American Express Travel, Oshman's, Florsheim, Oshman's, Berolina (outside Lord & Taylor), Johnston & Murphy, Timex AllTime watch store, Hanover Shoes and Danskin Dancewear.

Outside Penney's -

Southern Fabrics, Leopold, Price and Rolle - which also had an entrance in the main corridor, The Limited.

Outside Lord & Taylor -

Berolina, Storehouse, Gingiss Formalwear, Intellitrix game shop, Ventura Formalwear, Rings and Things.

Sears Wing:

Casual Corner, Thom McCan shoes, Pickwick Music, Jean Nicole, Baldwin Lively Organs/Pianos, TSO, Children's Place, World Bazaar, Margo's LaMode and B Dalton's Books. There was a fabric place that I can't remember the name to.

Remember the Children's court? It had those three dimensional cube things that we could play in. They were yellow and red. It had a rubber floor so you could jump without getting hurt.

The stores around it were: Zales, Kinderfoto, Shelley's Tall Girls.

The Patio: Brother's Pizza, Steve's sandwich shop, Taco Spot, Baskin Robbins, Original Cookie Co. Famous Ramos Pretzel shoppe, The Polar Bar, Famous Ramos hot dog shoppe, Hamburger Station and Chinese Wok.

Joske's wing:

York Steakhouse, Petite Sophisticate, Ups N Downs, Shelley's Surf Shop, Model A Station, Black, Starr & Frost Jewelers, James Avery, Houlihans, Dalts, Kay Bee Toys, Walter Pye's, StrideRite and Accessory Lady.

Across from the mall was the Scooby Doo Fun Factory Pizza which later became Birra Poretti's. Maggie's was also across the street. Best and Victoria Station were a little further down Green's Road. Remember University Savings by Fajitas and Monterey House?

I loved Fajitas!! Oh gosh, I forgot it even existed! Too bad it's gone now. Wasn't there a Levi Jeans store outside of Sears? It had wood panel walls. And how could I forget Contempo - that was my fav store! I remember Maggie's too...had that toy train that would circle around the place

I loved Fajitas!! Oh gosh, I forgot it even existed! Too bad it's gone now. Wasn't there a Levi Jeans store outside of Sears? It had wood panel walls. And how could I forget Contempo - that was my fav store! I remember Maggie's too...had that toy train that would circle around the place

There was Casual Corner by Sears that had brick walls on the outside wood trim. You may be thinking of Jeans West or County Seat. They were further down the corridor towards The Patio.

Remember W. Bell over by Target? There were a catalog place like Best Products.

We loved going to Dalts after the football games. They had the best malts and homemade chips. They were at the mall entrance by Joske's with Houlihans right across from them.

TGI Fridays was just bulldozed recently. I have not been to the mall in years either.

There was Casual Corner by Sears that had brick walls on the outside wood trim. You may be thinking of Jeans West or County Seat. They were further down the corridor towards The Patio.

Remember W. Bell over by Target? There were a catalog place like Best Products.

We loved going to Dalts after the football games. They had the best malts and homemade chips. They were at the mall entrance by Joske's with Houlihans right across from them.

TGI Fridays was just bulldozed recently. I have not been to the mall in years either.

I had a list of all the original stores at Greenspoint that were there the day it opened in August 1976. I have to dig around my storage shed to see if I still have it. I also had a list of the first movies to be shown at the theatre when it opened. Hopefully I didn't throw it away, although I know that if I did I can get it again next time I go to the downtown library.

The original game arcade was called Funway Freeway.

Someone was mentioning Mr. Dunderbach's. Man, I loved that place. Seems like I remember a restaurant in the center court of the mall that was situated above a fountain.

I was in the mall on Friday, and while it appears about half of it was vacant, the rest was very well maintained, bright and open. Seemed like it's still a nice place. Although I no longer live in the area, I sure get tired of people running the place down based on a few sensational news stories. I worked in that mall for three years (most of the time at night and during the Gunspoint incident period of time) and I never experieced a problem.

I had a list of all the original stores at Greenspoint that were there the day it opened in August 1976. I have to dig around my storage shed to see if I still have it. I also had a list of the first movies to be shown at the theatre when it opened. Hopefully I didn't throw it away, although I know that if I did I can get it again next time I go to the downtown library.

The original game arcade was called Funway Freeway.

Someone was mentioning Mr. Dunderbach's. Man, I loved that place. Seems like I remember a restaurant in the center court of the mall that was situated above a fountain.

I was in the mall on Friday, and while it appears about half of it was vacant, the rest was very well maintained, bright and open. Seemed like it's still a nice place. Although I no longer live in the area, I sure get tired of people running the place down based on a few sensational news stories. I worked in that mall for three years (most of the time at night and during the Gunspoint incident period of time) and I never experieced a problem.

You are correct,

There was a restaurant above the fountain in the center court. It had yellow umbrellas and served sandwiches and the like. I can't, for the life of me, remember the name of it, though. Remember TJ's Hobbies? That was there when the mall opened. It faced the Children's Court. Anyone have any photos of Greenspoint in its heyday?

Remember University Savings by Fajitas and Monterey House?

Over the last 30 years, I'm sure my parents and I have spent enough money at that Monterey House to keep it in business. I remember it looking very different back then (no windows if I recall correctly, dimly lit) compared to today.

I also remember the Sound Warehouse next to the Scooby Doo (later a BBQ?) restaurant. Eventually the Sound Warehouse moved across the freeway to the newer shopping center.

Over the last 30 years, I'm sure my parents and I have spent enough money at that Monterey House to keep it in business. I remember it looking very different back then (no windows if I recall correctly, dimly lit) compared to today.

I also remember the Sound Warehouse next to the Scooby Doo (later a BBQ?) restaurant. Eventually the Sound Warehouse moved across the freeway to the newer shopping center.

You are so right. The restaurant had no windows, the red vinyl chairs with placemats built into the tables. Remember the chip baskets with the maple sugar candy at the bottom? I do remember the Sound Warehouse, too. Do you remember Victoria Station?

• 1 month later...

Found my notes on the origins of Greenspoint Mall.

The mall opened on Thursday, August 5, 1976, although the Foley's actually opened a few days earlier. Here is the original lineup of stores for the mall's opening:

Alberto's Clocks

Albert's Hosiery

American Uniform

Artland

B. Dalton Bookseller

Baker's Shoes

Baldwin-Lively Pianos

Baskin Robbins Ice Cream

Battlesteins

Betty's Maternity

Casual Corner

Centre Court Restaurant

Chandler's Shoes

Chess King

City Appliance Center

Clover Patch

Corrigan's Jewelers

County Seat

Creperie

Disc Records

E/J's Model Shop

El Chico Mexican Restaurant

Ellison's

Famous Ramos

Fashion Conspiracy

Florsheim Shoes

Foley's (still open, though now branded as Macy's)

Fortune Cookie

Foxmoor

Funway Freeway Arcade

The Gap

General Nutrition (still open)

Gilbert Ortega's Indian Arts

The Go-Round

Gordon's Jewelers (still open)

Greenspoint 5 General Cinema

Greenspoint Pet Center

Hamburger Hamlet

Hanover Shoes

Haus Edelweis

Hickory Farms

Houston Trunk Factory

Isabell Gerhart

J. Harris

J. Riggins

Jean Nicole

Jeans West

Jerry Thompson's Restaurant and Saloon

Joan Bari

Jovee Betram Bath and Boudoir

Kid's Kasuals

Kinderphoto

Kinney Shoes

The Limited

Leopold, Price & Rolle

Levitt's Jewelers

Margo's La Mode

Merle Norman

Miss Bojangles

The Monocle

Morrow's Nuts

Mr. Calculator

Naturalizer Shoes

The Oak Tree

Organ Exchange

Oshman's

Palais Royal (still open)

Picadilly Cafeteria

Pickwick Music

Pipe Pub

Pizzeria

Playhouse Toys

Polar Bar

Radio Shack (still open)

Ramos Pretzel Shoppe

Regal Touch

Rodney's

Roots Natural Footwear

Sears (still open)

Sherry's Hallmark Shop

The Shoe Gallery

Showcase

Silvermans

Size 5-7-9 (still open)

So-Fro Fabrics

Sounds & Imports

Southern Fabrics

Steve's Sandwich Shop

Stuart's

Susie's Casuals

Sweeny's Jewelers

Taco Spot

Texas State Optical

Thom McAn

Tiffany's Bakery

Transcontinental Travel

U-Frame-It

Ventura's Formal Wear

Village Casuals

Waldenbooks

Western Junction

Wicks 'N' Sticks

The Wild Pair

World Bazaar

Worths

Zales Jewelers

Here are the first movies shown at the premiere of the Greenspoint 5 General Cinema

Blazing Saddles

Bugs Bunny Superstar

Lifeguard

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

Ode to Billy Joe

JC Penny was added in 1977.

Montgomery Ward was added in 1978.

Joske's was added in 1980.

I do not know when Lord & Taylor opened, although Mervyn's took it over in 1988.

Edited by Firebird65

The mall opened on Thursday, August 5, 1976, although the Foley's actually opened a few days earlier. Here is the original lineup of stores for the mall's opening:

Alberto's Clocks

Albert's Hosiery

American Uniform

Artland

B. Dalton Bookseller

Baker's Shoes

Baldwin-Lively Pianos

Baskin Robbins Ice Cream

Battlesteins

Betty's Maternity

Casual Corner

Centre Court Restaurant

Chandler's Shoes

Chess King

City Appliance Center

Clover Patch

Corrigan's Jewelers

County Seat

Creperie

Disc Records

E/J's Model Shop

Ellison's

Famous Ramos

Fashion Conspiracy

Florsheim Shoes

Fortune Cookie

Foxmoor

Funway Freeway Arcade

The Gap

The Go-Round

Greenspoint Pet Center

Hamburger Hamlet

Hanover Shoes

Haus Edelweis

Hickory Farms

Houston Trunk Factory

Isabell Gerhart

J. Harris

J. Riggins

Jean Nicole

Jeans West

Joan Bari

Kid's Kasuals

Kinderphoto

Kinney Shoes

The Limited

Leopold, Price & Rolle

Levitt's Jewelers

Margo's La Mode

Merle Norman

Miss Bojangles

The Monocle

Morrow's Nuts

Mr. Calculator

Naturalizer Shoes

The Oak Tree

Organ Exchange

Oshman's

Picadilly Cafeteria

Pickwick Music

Pipe Pub

Pizzeria

Playhouse Toys

Polar Bar

Radio Shack (still open)

Ramos Pretzel Shoppe

Regal Touch

Rodney's

Roots Natural Footwear

Sears (still open)

Sherry's Hallmark Shop

The Shoe Gallery

Showcase

Silvermans

Size 5-7-9 (still open)

So-Fro Fabrics

Sounds & Imports

Southern Fabrics

Steve's Sandwich Shop

Stuart's

Susie's Casuals

Sweeny's Jewelers

Taco Spot

Texas State Optical

Thom McAn

Tiffany's Bakery

Transcontinental Travel

U-Frame-It

Ventura's Formal Wear

Village Casuals

Waldenbooks

Western Junction

Wicks 'N' Sticks

The Wild Pair

World Bazaar

Worths

Zales Jewelers

Here are the first movies shown at the premiere of the Greenspoint 5 General Cinema

Blazing Saddles

Bugs Bunny Superstar

Lifeguard

Ode to Billy Joe

I do not know when Lord & Taylor opened, although Mervyn's took it over in 1988.

Thanks for the information!! Boy, that brings back memories. Lord & Taylor opened in 1979.

• 2 months later...

Hi there, everybody! Long time lurker; just decided to register here. I grew up in Greenspoint, then Spring, and now live in The Woodlands. I guess I just followed the suburban sprawl northwards.

I was just a kid the last time I was in Greenspoint Mall, but I remember playing in the food court and sitting for many hours on the floor in the book store reading whatever I could get my hands on. I'm sure there's pictures around here someplace I need to scan.

I've gotta go just for that pizza!! Brothers had another hidden location on 45N/Cypresswood in a strip. I have no idea if it's still there...was about 5 years ago.

There is a Brother's Pizza at I-45 and Cypresswood, but it is not owned by the family anymore. It's independently run and in my opinion, the quality is lacking.

HOWEVER, there are THREE Brother's Pizzas in The Woodlands now, operated by the very same family that opened the original one in Greenspoint. I live in walking distance to one and it is definitely a weekly routine for my family. Haven't ordered a national chain-brand pizza since I've moved here!

My wife's father actually taught several of the sons of the original brothers at Aldine High School many, many years ago. The daughter of the original brothers is the one I see running the Sterling Ridge and Magnolia locations these days, with her daughter and husband helping out. It's definitely worth the drive!

I would love to see pictures of the old, tree-laden Greenspoint. Never grew up there...

One weekend, exit 45 and greens and drive around. I've never noticed many trees at the Greenspoint Mall. Not much to see. It's your typical large mall with a lot of vacant department stores. I keep hearing they are supposed to reconstruct the mall to revitalize it but that hasn't happened yet.

One weekend, exit 45 and greens and drive around. I've never noticed many trees at the Greenspoint Mall. Not much to see. It's your typical large mall with a lot of vacant department stores. I keep hearing they are supposed to reconstruct the mall to revitalize it but that hasn't happened yet.

The mall had trees inside waaaaaaaay back in the day, like in the 80s, but have since been removed.

I would love to see pictures of the old, tree-laden Greenspoint. Never grew up there...

Has anyone got any of the old pictures of Greenspoint in its heyday? Remember the fountain you could walk through with the water falling on both sides and the cafe with yellow umbrellas on top? It was a high quality place at its zenith. I have alot of the old circulars and sale brochures the mall would send out in the 1970s and 80s listing all the stores, events, etc.

I worked at Things Remembered by Wards in 1983 (10th grade) and at Foley's Men's Clubhouse in 1984-86. It was one of their top grossing stores at that time. I also attended Aldine High School with the Bekiri's that own Brother's Pizza. They were into Duran Duran bigtime. Great family. I, too, moved from Aldine to Spring to The Woodlands.

By the way, who was the school teacher mentioned at Aldine? I am curious if I had him in a class as well.

I am on the Greater Greenspoint mailing list. This was in the latest issue of their e-newsletter:

Program Launched to Help Greenspoint Apartments

GDCIP.jpg

The Greenspoint District is kicking its public awareness campaign into high gear with a new program targeting the unique challenges of area apartments. In addition to arming the community with information that can reduce the likelihood of being a victim of crime, the District is offering apartment owners incentives for property improvements that enhance curb appeal and make for a safer environment.

Click here for the full story

New Executive Director Targets Projects along Greens Bayou

lindseysm.jpg

Bayous have long been a part of Houston's landscape, providing both challenges and opportunities. A local advocacy group has stepped up its efforts to bring flood remediation projects and additional park development to north Houston communities along Greens Bayou.

Free Immunizations, Channel 13 Blood Drive

hchd.jpg

The Harris County Hospital District's Troubleshooters Immunization Program will be at Greenspoint Mall on Friday, March 20, to administer immunizations and flu shots. Immunizations are free and available to anyone age 21 or younger. Flu shots are available for all ages at a cost of $10. The event will be held in the Greenspoint Mall Community Room, near the food court, from 1 - 5 p.m. For more information, contact the Troubleshooters at 713-873-8687.

Click here to download the PDF version of this issue.

Has anyone got any of the old pictures of Greenspoint in its heyday? Remember the fountain you could walk through with the water falling on both sides and the cafe with yellow umbrellas on top? It was a high quality place at its zenith. I have alot of the old circulars and sale brochures the mall would send out in the 1970s and 80s listing all the stores, events, etc.

I worked at Things Remembered by Wards in 1983 (10th grade) and at Foley's Men's Clubhouse in 1984-86. It was one of their top grossing stores at that time. I also attended Aldine High School with the Bekiri's that own Brother's Pizza. They were into Duran Duran bigtime. Great family. I, too, moved from Aldine to Spring to The Woodlands.

By the way, who was the school teacher mentioned at Aldine? I am curious if I had him in a class as well.

A. Another Aldine Alum here! (c/o 00) I'd prolly say the teacher is Mr Westbrook, since he was a fixture at the school for so long. He recently retired in '03 IIRC......

B. I also went to school with a Bekiri too (Ibrahim). Me and my family are originally for Brooklyn, NY. My pops used to tell me that Brother's also had a location on Kings HWY, had no idea if that is true though.

• 1 month later...
A. Another Aldine Alum here! (c/o 00) I'd prolly say the teacher is Mr Westbrook, since he was a fixture at the school for so long. He recently retired in '03 IIRC......

B. I also went to school with a Bekiri too (Ibrahim). Me and my family are originally for Brooklyn, NY. My pops used to tell me that Brother's also had a location on Kings HWY, had no idea if that is true though.

Has anyone ever come across any photos of Greenspoint in its heyday? Such as the fountain with the restaurant on top, the "high flyers" sculpture, etc? Remember the children's play area with the rubber floor with the yellow and red cubes we climbed and played in?

Mr. Wesbrook (no 't' in the last name) taught at Stovall Jr. High from 1968 through the 1974-75 school year. He then moved to Aldine High School and taught there until he retired. He never had children so the teacher who is (or was) the father-in-law of the earlier writer could not have been him. Tigereye, I'll take it that "prolly" is text messaging shorthand for "probably" and that Mr. Wesbrook would not let you get away with writing it on a formal assignment. :)

How do I know this? Mr. Wesbrook taught my 7th grade English class, the literature class I took in my junior year of high school, and an advanced study skills class I also took that year. We still exchange Christmas and birthday cards by the way.

He was one of those really outstanding teachers who were so prevalent at Aldine in the 1970's. When I started college I discovered that my preparation in grammar, literature, history, and mathematics exceeded that of most public school graduates and was on a level with that of students who attended the better private schools. I'm not bragging on my self - I am commending the teachers and principals of that time.

To get back to the subject, Greenspoint Mall truly was an attractive place when it was new. My friends and I really enjoyed hanging out there. Being teenagers we didn't have much else to do anyway except all the homework those Aldine High School teacher gave us. :lol:

Edited by Specwriter

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting that link, IronTiger. Those pics are just sad! I grew up in that mall and it's so sad to see the decline. All of those blue tiled structures holding potted plants were once nice water fountains...one even had water chimes. In the first pic of Anna's Linens, there used to be a Visible Changes next to that stone wall in the JC Penny's wing. That was one of two Visible Changes in Greenspoint - the first was in the Penny's wing, and the second was (and still is) in the food court. I think the second one was called Visible Changes Too.

Thanks for posting that link, IronTiger. Those pics are just sad! I grew up in that mall and it's so sad to see the decline. All of those blue tiled structures holding potted plants were once nice water fountains...one even had water chimes. In the first pic of Anna's Linens, there used to be a Visible Changes next to that stone wall in the JC Penny's wing. That was one of two Visible Changes in Greenspoint - the first was in the Penny's wing, and the second was (and still is) in the food court. I think the second one was called Visible Changes Too.

The pictures of Foley's are depressing. I notice they have closed off the entire second floor. That was Foley's 3rd largest store in the chain and most grossing in its heyday. Anna's Linens was Oshmans. The mall used to be lined with real ficus trees which were lit up with small lights at Christmas. In the mall's center was a 2 level waterfall with a restaurant on top called the Center Court Restaurant. One could walk under the fountains with water on both sides. The Sculpture Court featured a statue called "High Flyers" of a boy pushing a girl on a swing. It was made of bronze and was life size. By Wards was another fountain that was made of pipes. It sounded like a music box. Each pipe would gradually fill with water and gently fall on the stone which would make the sound of a chime. Each pipe was a different size making a different chime. Near The Patio (food court) was the Children's Court. It had a rubber floor and red and yellow cubes kids could play in and jump from. Foley's and Sears were the original anchors. JCPenney, Wards and Lord & Taylor were added in succession with Joske's and its corresponding wing being added in 1980. Palais Royal and Battesteins were also original junior department stores. Bealls purchased Battelsteins later. Isabell Gerhart (From The Galleria) had a store down by Foley's while Walter Pyes (another junior upscale department store) had a location by Joske's. Joske's was sold in 1987 to Dillards. Lord & Taylor pulled out in 1988. Wards closed in 2000 and JCPenney pulled out in 1995. Walter Pye's closed along with Isabell Gerhart and Beall's. New owners of the mall gutted its beautiful Central Park theme demolishing the fountains, trees and sculpture and taking up the classic tiles replacing them with hideous glow in the dark pastel tiles. The Patio was also gutted of its skylights, hanging baskets and wood detail. The mall is now a ghost of what it once was.

The pictures of Foley's are depressing. I notice they have closed off the entire second floor. That was Foley's 3rd largest store in the chain and most grossing in its heyday. Anna's Linens was Oshmans. The mall used to be lined with real ficus trees which were lit up with small lights at Christmas. In the mall's center was a 2 level waterfall with a restaurant on top called the Center Court Restaurant. One could walk under the fountains with water on both sides. The Sculpture Court featured a statue called "High Flyers" of a boy pushing a girl on a swing. It was made of bronze and was life size. By Wards was another fountain that was made of pipes. It sounded like a music box. Each pipe would gradually fill with water and gently fall on the stone which would make the sound of a chime. Each pipe was a different size making a different chime. Near The Patio (food court) was the Children's Court. It had a rubber floor and red and yellow cubes kids could play in and jump from. Foley's and Sears were the original anchors. JCPenney, Wards and Lord & Taylor were added in succession with Joske's and its corresponding wing being added in 1980. Palais Royal and Battesteins were also original junior department stores. Bealls purchased Battelsteins later. Isabell Gerhart (From The Galleria) had a store down by Foley's while Walter Pyes (another junior upscale department store) had a location by Joske's. Joske's was sold in 1987 to Dillards. Lord & Taylor pulled out in 1988. Wards closed in 2000 and JCPenney pulled out in 1995. Walter Pye's closed along with Isabell Gerhart and Beall's. New owners of the mall gutted its beautiful Central Park theme demolishing the fountains, trees and sculpture and taking up the classic tiles replacing them with hideous glow in the dark pastel tiles. The Patio was also gutted of its skylights, hanging baskets and wood detail. The mall is now a ghost of what it once was.

Does anyone have photos of Greenspoint in its heyday?

You are so correct. The original Visible Changes was by JCPenney. I believe it was one of the first (if not the first) in their chain. Another styling salon called Fascination opened in the former TJ's Hobby store by Lord & Taylor. It later became Visible Changes Too.

You are so correct. The original Visible Changes was by JCPenney. I believe it was one of the first (if not the first) in their chain. Another styling salon called Fascination opened in the former TJ's Hobby store by Lord & Taylor. It later became Visible Changes Too.

I used to get my haircuts at Visible Changes Too and yep, the Visible Changes in the Penny's wing was the very first salon in the chain.

I used to get my haircuts at Visible Changes Too and yep, the Visible Changes in the Penny's wing was the very first salon in the chain.

The Anna's Linens location in the pic was originally an Oshman's sporting goods.

Anyone have any pics of Greenspoint when it was at its zenith? I have been searching for some across the internet with no success. Thanks!

Thanks for that list Firebird, and the memories.

I used to go to that mall back in the late 70's when I lived off Louetta near Kuykendahl. Greenspoint was THE mall for the northwest suburbs, and I loved going to Oshman's and the movies.

I stopped going when Willowbrook Mall opened up and haven't been back since the late '80's.

Whenever I fly into town and take 45 into the city these days, I always look over at what used to be palace of north suburbia.

BTW, before Greenspoint went up in what was the far north, Aldine was a pretty nice suburban area full of young families. I lived there through Kindergarten . . . Hidden Valley Elementary!

Alberto's Clocks

Albert's Hosiery

American Uniform

Artland

B. Dalton Bookseller

Baker's Shoes

Baldwin-Lively Pianos

Baskin Robbins Ice Cream

Battlesteins

Betty's Maternity

Casual Corner

Centre Court Restaurant

Chandler's Shoes

Chess King

City Appliance Center

Clover Patch

Corrigan's Jewelers

County Seat

Creperie

Disc Records

E/J's Model Shop

Ellison's

Famous Ramos

Fashion Conspiracy

Florsheim Shoes

Fortune Cookie

Foxmoor

Funway Freeway Arcade

The Gap

The Go-Round

Greenspoint Pet Center

Hamburger Hamlet

Hanover Shoes

Haus Edelweis

Hickory Farms

Houston Trunk Factory

Isabell Gerhart

J. Harris

J. Riggins

Jean Nicole

Jeans West

Joan Bari

Kid's Kasuals

Kinderphoto

Kinney Shoes

The Limited

Leopold, Price & Rolle

Levitt's Jewelers

Margo's La Mode

Merle Norman

Miss Bojangles

The Monocle

Morrow's Nuts

Mr. Calculator

Naturalizer Shoes

The Oak Tree

Organ Exchange

Oshman's

Picadilly Cafeteria

Pickwick Music

Pipe Pub

Pizzeria

Playhouse Toys

Polar Bar

Radio Shack (still open)

Ramos Pretzel Shoppe

Regal Touch

Rodney's

Roots Natural Footwear

Sears (still open)

Sherry's Hallmark Shop

The Shoe Gallery

Showcase

Silvermans

Size 5-7-9 (still open)

So-Fro Fabrics

Sounds & Imports

Southern Fabrics

Steve's Sandwich Shop

Stuart's

Susie's Casuals

Sweeny's Jewelers

Taco Spot

Texas State Optical

Thom McAn

Tiffany's Bakery

Transcontinental Travel

U-Frame-It

Ventura's Formal Wear

Village Casuals

Waldenbooks

Western Junction

Wicks 'N' Sticks

The Wild Pair

World Bazaar

Worths

Zales Jewelers

Blazing Saddles

Bugs Bunny Superstar

Lifeguard

Ode to Billy Joe

You are so right. The restaurant had no windows, the red vinyl chairs with placemats built into the tables. Remember the chip baskets with the maple sugar candy at the bottom? I do remember the Sound Warehouse, too. Do you remember Victoria Station?

No memories of Victoria Station though it sounds familiar. And yep! I remember the chip baskets, too!

I'll check and see if we have any Greenspoint Mall photos sometime.