Merchants Park: Retail Center At 1303-1421 W. 11th St.

samiamj

The Kroger was thoroughly renovated in 1996. Same building, but the interior was gutted and all of the ceilings, tile, and displays replaced. I'm pretty certain on the year, as we moved ti Timbergrove in late 1995, then moved out of state in January 1997. The older store was grim. Really grim. Dark, dirty, and not appealing at all

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Kroger was thoroughly renovated in 1996. Same building, but the interior was gutted and all of the ceilings, tile, and displays replaced. I'm pretty certain on the year, as we moved ti Timbergrove in late 1995, then moved out of state in January 1997. The older store was grim. Really grim. Dark, dirty, and not appealing at all

This is not correct. Kroger #11 was torn down, not renovated. You are correct on the year however. The signature style store there now was built from the ground up in 1995. This happened 2 years after Merchant's Park Bank (lastly Region's Bank) expanded their community rooms towards Kroger, buying out and closing the Walgreen's in the process. My sister-in-law was the VP of Auditing for MP Bank, and Union Planter's as well. There was no way in the world Kroger would have ever tried to "renovate" that God awful store. Come to think of it, with the demolition of Region's Bank the only original building left is the one W.T. Grant was in, and the front half of that is now Golden Island. Only the back half remains as a thrift store.

H2B, where was that Firestone you got the tires from? For the life of me I can't place it.

“H2B, where was that Firestone you got the tires from? For the life of me I can't place it.”

Firestone was where the Blockbuster is/was, and Weiner’s was next to that. I am almost positive it was a Firestone, but it may have been a Goodyear. But it was definitely one or the other.

What is your connection to this area? If you tell me you remember Birdie’s, then that will tell me a lot about you.

“H2B, where was that Firestone you got the tires from? For the life of me I can't place it.”

Firestone was where the Blockbuster is/was, and Weiner’s was next to that. I am almost positive it was a Firestone, but it may have been a Goodyear. But it was definitely one or the other.

What is your connection to this area? If you tell me you remember Birdie’s, then that will tell me a lot about you.

That's why I didn't remember a Firestone, it was a Goodyear. I basically grew up knowing a lot of friends from the neighborhood that lived off Shepherd. When we were kids we'd go walking down to the train tracks and throw rocks at the passing Katy. Until one day, we got caught by my buddy's mother peering at us from down the block. Needless to say, phone calls were made and rears were reddened. We weren't always the smartest kids in the world, but we sure thought so at the time. My brother's girlfriend (now wife of 32 years) worked at Merchant's Park Bank, which is why the Wyatt's Cafeteria right down the strip was such a huge deal to me. It was a basic ritual of the time to meet up for lunch. I grew up a bit north of Merchant's Park, in the Sunset Heights off of N. Main and 26th. Dated a young lady that lived at 12th and Waverly throughout high school during the 70's. That whole area was kind of a second home. I pass that house she lived in sometimes, and can't believe how disrepaired it has become. That was such a neat little house in its day. I'm not familiar with Birdie's, H2B. This tells me, you must have a couple of years on me as it must have been before my time.

My grandma’s house was on the SW corner of Waverley and 14th. My mom worked, so I would walk from Love Elem to her house after school. So I am very familiar with the train that ran along Nicholson. One of my best friends lived on Herkimer just off 14th, so he was often my partner in crime, although our crimes were not as malicious as yours seemed to have been.

Yes, I do have a few years on you, as I am 61 now. Those few years made a big difference in some ways.

Remember as a kid hearing the ice cream truck from far away, and trying to determine what street he was on, and when he would be passing your house? I would sit on Grandma’s front porch and hear the “clip-clop” of a horse’s hooves as the produce wagon made it way through the neighborhood.

I loved to watch that old man in the wagon pass the house. The colors of the produce were so beautiful, but even as a small child I knew I was seeing something that would soon be a thing of the past. But, man, do I cherish those memories.

For some reason I don’t remember seeing Merchant’s Park under construction. But I do remember walking Granddaddy down there when it opened. He lived on Bay Oaks and 11th, the house I owned before moving to Bastrop. Granddaddy was blind, so I would lead with him holding onto my shirtsleeve. We would often eat at Brittan’s Broilerburger.

Birdie’s was on Shepherd at 12th on the NW corner. It was an L-shaped icehouse. The owner (Birdie, of course) had numerous cages of mynah birds at the entrances and inside. This was a different time, of course, and no one thought anything about kids stopping by, or even stepping inside the bar to talk to the birds. Birdie was always so nice to the kids, and got a kick out of our fascination with her birds.

My grandma’s house was on the SW corner of Waverley and 14th. My mom worked, so I would walk from Love Elem to her house after school. So I am very familiar with the train that ran along Nicholson. One of my best friends lived on Herkimer just off 14th, so he was often my partner in crime, although our crimes were not as malicious as yours seemed to have been.

Yes, I do have a few years on you, as I am 61 now. Those few years made a big difference in some ways.

Remember as a kid hearing the ice cream truck from far away, and trying to determine what street he was on, and when he would be passing your house? I would sit on Grandma’s front porch and hear the “clip-clop” of a horse’s hooves as the produce wagon made it way through the neighborhood.

I loved to watch that old man in the wagon pass the house. The colors of the produce were so beautiful, but even as a small child I knew I was seeing something that would soon be a thing of the past. But, man, do I cherish those memories.

For some reason I don’t remember seeing Merchant’s Park under construction. But I do remember walking Granddaddy down there when it opened. He lived on Bay Oaks and 11th, the house I owned before moving to Bastrop. Granddaddy was blind, so I would lead with him holding onto my shirtsleeve. We would often eat at Brittan’s Broilerburger.

Birdie’s was on Shepherd at 12th on the NW corner. It was an L-shaped icehouse. The owner (Birdie, of course) had numerous cages of mynah birds at the entrances and inside. This was a different time, of course, and no one thought anything about kids stopping by, or even stepping inside the bar to talk to the birds. Birdie was always so nice to the kids, and got a kick out of our fascination with her birds.

What a neat story, H2B. I definitely remember the old SP spur line that traveled down Nicholson as well. Seems like every time they tried to use that track in its last years, one of the cars would end up derailed. I've read some of the new Heights residents on here that have bought homes around Nicholson and had issues with the bike trail and such. A real good friend of mine lived at 22nd and Nicholson, right down from the school. That darn train horn would have woken the dead, and it blared at every single street. Imagine living within a few feet of that! Now, on this part of the line there were double tracks. I believe those started at 20th st. They used to store cars on the pass track for days and weeks at a time, and those always seemed to make good jungle gyms for us.laugh.gif Now, we never through anything at those SP switchers going down Nicholson. They moved so slow through the Heights that had we've done it, one of the crew would have most likely jumped of the engine, paddled our behinds, and then sent us home to get another one from the folks. We were cowards. We threw 'em at the MKT trains that ran parallel with 7th, and into the Eureka Yard that ran behind Cottage Grove. Those trains moved a little faster (though not much) and gave us ample time to run if we ran into the danger of being nabbed for our shenanigans. I certainly can't remember Merchant's Park being built, but it sure looked a whole lot different back then, than it does now. Of course, I guess that could be said about almost everything in Houston. You and I are only a decade apart, H2B. I proudly declare 39 years, and quitely admit 51. I certainly wished I'd have gotten to see the produce wagon making its way back in forth through the neighborhoods. What a sight that must've been.

Sorry to all posters for going off of topic so terribly. To tie this in, looks like the progress at the Kroger site is moving right along.

”Sorry to all posters for going off of topic so terribly. To tie this in, looks like the progress at the Kroger site is moving right along.”

I mentioned the produce wagon. Naturally, milk trucks were prolific at that time (the 50s). Weingarten’s was there at 20th and Yale, and Lewis and Coker was on Arlington and 14th next to Reagan. Those two are where Grandma shopped. We lived at 14th near Beale, and we shopped at the Hy Sun Grocery on Shepherd at 14th, or else Mom stopped somewhere on the way home from work.

This all ties in to the need for a new grocery in my area, and H&P in Merchant’s Park was the answer to that need. So it’s all relevant in the evolution of grocery shopping in that area, and to that store in particular.

So we just took went a bit roundybout with the topic is all.

• 5 weeks later...

At Krogers today, there was a sign that the new Starbucks will open on 10/23.

Golden Locks: Sincerely, thank you for the update. [Abetting my cynicism, here, because I do appreciate new contributors to HAIF].

So here's the cynicism: Oh, Goodie! Fresh coffee for the angry, white people at the 11th St Kroger! When will they be adding ram-rods to the carts?

I hate Starbucks. Next thing you know they'll have some homeless looking guy singing and playing guitar on Sundays. Can't they just make it big and nice without catering to people that like that crap?

See, right there. That's an angry, white person!

What about electric keyboard? Or are you just an instrument hater? happy.gif

wow! who knew there'd be such a response to my starbucks post. i don't even drink coffee...just thought people'd be interested in the store's renovation progress.

Oh, Golden Locks, you opened up a freakin' can of worms. Don't even start to talk about kid-friendly restaurants!

The white people are generally not too angry when I shop at Kroger. Of course, I am shopping at 5 am, and the Starbucks is probably not open at 5 am. Hey, maybe that's why the white people aren't angry! happy.gif

That's about the only time it's tolerable! Yeah, I know. I'm one of them. However, I don't like to mix with them, because they make me angry. You've heard of going postal, right? I go to the Kroger, and I'm ready to go produce or even spicey (they have mace, after all).

Question: Are frozen, soy products as hard as rocks?

Not sure about soy, but frozen hamster milk certainly is.

That's the problem. Kroger carries things that HEB and Fiesta do not, so I have to go there to at least pick up those special items. Although you can get fresh, free-range hamster milk at Whole Foods

LMAO, thanks for a few morning laughs ladies and gents.

I have massive Kroger rage (mostly from West Grey, a few apply to 11th):

-can they not predict on Sunday which items they need to keep stocked because they've run out every Sunday since the dawn of time?

-remodeling for wider spaces rocks! until you fill the gaps with kiosks narrowing it so that only 1 cart may pass

-I understand it's not a glamorous job, but WHERE do you find your employees?!?!?! (all time best - a cashier mid check out left the register and ran into the parking lot to 'holla' at a friend)

-if I use the deli kiosk, and my order is not ready in 30 minutes, does that defaeat the purpose?

/end rant

(I am sure there are plenty more, but it's early and a client is here)

I have massive Kroger rage (mostly from West Grey, a few apply to 11th):

-I understand it's not a glamorous job, but WHERE do you find your employees?!?!?! (all time best - a cashier mid check out left the register and ran into the parking lot to 'holla' at a friend)

Heh, also from West Gray (and continuing with the dubious quality of the help):

-Cashier spent the entire time on her cell taking with friend while using just her free hand to painfully slowly scan my items.

-Cashier and sacker spent the entire time "flirting" with each other, graphically talking about how they'd, er... sex each other up.

Heh, also from West Gray (and continuing with the dubious quality of the help):

-Cashier spent the entire time on her cell taking with friend while using just her free hand to painfully slowly scan my items.

-Cashier and sacker spent the entire time "flirting" with each other, graphically talking about how they'd, er... sex each other up.

Also enjoyable is the cashier who pauses to gaze at each item after scanning.

But I find the self-checkout stations most annoying. The computer voice blurts out "Please wait for cashier assistance" at random and locks up the screen just to annoy the hell out of you.

Also enjoyable is the cashier who pauses to gaze at each item after scanning.

But I find the self-checkout stations most annoying. The computer voice blurts out "Please wait for cashier assistance" at random and locks up the screen just to annoy the hell out of you.

"that computer voice" can easily be muted, and then the voice resumes for the next shopper. Thats the assistance you need to ask for.

I'm going to have to visit this revamped 11th St Krogers to see the angry people. If they are even half as angry as the West Gray shoppers are creepy, that's saying something.

But seriously, hope you guys will get the jaundiced, smelly old keyboard player dude. He's such a treasure for us Gray store shoppers. I actually heard some equally smelly and jaudiced shopper lady hovering around the wine sample table go over to him and request "Rhiannon."

If I want to see Angry White People, I go to the Bunker Hill HEB or Central Market. Those places are full of Angry, Impatient, Entitled, Self Absorbed White People. Every time I go to one of them I get cart bumped, ran over, or scoweled at by women with perfect hair and nails.

Most self-scanning malfunctions are caused by the user. For example, people who don't put the item on the scale where the bags are after scanning the item. Occasionally its an unavoidable malfunction that the cashier has to clear, but its pretty rare.

Well, one requirement is to put each item down in the bag area after scanning. Otherwise, the computer won't let you proceed. But oftentimes, these self-scanners just go ballistic for no clear reason.

I'm going to have to visit this revamped 11th St Krogers to see the angry people. If they are even half as angry as the West Gray shoppers are creepy, that's saying something.

But seriously, hope you guys will get the jaundiced, smelly old keyboard player dude. He's such a treasure for us Gray store shoppers. I actually heard some equally smelly and jaudiced shopper lady hovering around the wine sample table go over to him and request "Rhiannon."

Oh, the keyboard player is quite the treasure. They have one at the Buffalo Speedway location too. There's something so incredibly odd and awkward about the whole situation. But I suppose that for some of the older shoppers, the Kroger keyboard player's rendition of Rhiannon is the highlight of their week.

Archived