Merchants Park: Retail Center At 1303-1421 W. 11th St.

samiamj

their intention, based on preliminary discussion here, is to have a much larger NatFoods section along the lines of the BUffalo Spdwy store.

Speaking of the pretty people, the Buffalo Speedway Kroger is far and away the best grocery store for sightseeing.

This Kroger, not so much. I've joined others by making a weekly trek to the Bunker Hill HEB. My main problems with the 11th street Kroger (besides the vomit-inducing smell near the pet food aisle which I've vowed to never go near again) are prices and produce. The produce section is too small and has crappy selection which will no doubt be fixed when the reno is complete, but that won't fix the problem that half the shoppers there (me included) treat the place like a convenience store buying 10 items at a time. The managers know this and have jacked up the prices accordingly on staple items. I was shocked the last time I went there on an emergency run for a half gallon of Horizon milk and a box of cheerios.

Next time you're there when it's busy, notice the ratio of people with 3/4 empty shopping carts. That is always the surest sign that prices for most staples will be 30 cents higher than average.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've given up buying produce there. It's a waste of time trying to pick out decent pieces, and money, because it's usually gone bad before I get a change to eat it. I don't care for the green bananas that curuiously are rotten in 2 days - either. Even the Fiesta on 14th has better produce. Noticed the same on organic milk, too. Always out. Almost no shelf space devoted to it and apparently no restocking until the overnight hours.

I've given up buying produce there. It's a waste of time trying to pick out decent pieces, and money, because it's usually gone bad before I get a change to eat it. I don't care for the green bananas that curuiously are rotten in 2 days - either. Even the Fiesta on 14th has better produce. Noticed the same on organic milk, too. Always out. Almost no shelf space devoted to it and apparently no restocking until the overnight hours.

I buy produce at the Farmers Market on Airline. Much better, much cheaper and a great people watching place.

I buy produce at the Farmers Market on Airline. Much better, much cheaper and a great people watching place.

With the market right there on Airline, one must wonder how anyone can justify driving outside the Loop for their produce. If freshness and price matter, driving to Bunker Hill for second best doesn't make any sense.

• 2 weeks later...

Since we're seriously considering the Hieghts/Shady acres we were out looking at houses and stopped and did our grovery shopping.

Is this the new and improved Krogers, or just the old one and a giant dirt parking lot?

Cause to be honest, it stunk. Produc and meat counter had horrid selection and not the best looking foods...

Since we're seriously considering the Hieghts/Shady acres we were out looking at houses and stopped and did our grovery shopping.

Is this the new and improved Krogers, or just the old one and a giant dirt parking lot?

Cause to be honest, it stunk. Produc and meat counter had horrid selection and not the best looking foods...

They didn't start redoing it yet. Well, except for the dirt area as room for expansion. We (and lots of other Heights posters from what I read here) break up our shopping - produce at Canino's because you can't beat it. For us, it's non-perishables at Fiesta because they are cheap and have every random thing, and for meat we switch around. I look at the mail ads every week and based on the good deals we go to Kroger, Foodarama, HEB, and sometimes Randall's. Pretty much every week at least one of them has a good deal.

They didn't start redoing it yet. Well, except for the dirt area as room for expansion. We (and lots of other Heights posters from what I read here) break up our shopping - produce at Canino's because you can't beat it. For us, it's non-perishables at Fiesta because they are cheap and have every random thing, and for meat we switch around. I look at the mail ads every week and based on the good deals we go to Kroger, Foodarama, HEB, and sometimes Randall's. Pretty much every week at least one of them has a good deal.

In Shady Acres you won't be far from the HEB on 19th. It's small and dinghy, but I like it. THey have good produce and they carry Kraft WHITE CHEDDAR macaroni and cheese. (my secret pleasure). I think they have a decent meat dept.

Rice always has a great deal on a roll of Beef Tenderloin. You do have to have a rice shoppers card to get the good deal, and it is a good deal. It isn't as trimmed as the more expensive but it is awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Was inside today on a rare visit and noticed that they've removed most of the suspended ceiling panels:

IMG_0180.jpg

The backhoes and bulldozers are also working overdrive at the old gas station site, as are the jackhammers on the parking lot and sidewalk immediately next door. It is definitely a construction zone.

They're all supernice at that HEB too, I shop there myself and love the people. It's always the same people.

I wish they would build a new HEB on one of those large lots up the street.

Was inside today on a rare visit and noticed that they've removed most of the suspended ceiling panels:

IMG_0180.jpg

The backhoes and bulldozers are also working overdrive at the old gas station site, as are the jackhammers on the parking lot and sidewalk immediately next door. It is definitely a construction zone.

Ha! From the displays visible in that picture you'd think it was some cheap $1 store instead of a grocery store. Although there are probably times when one might want to grab some non-grocery or drug items at Kroger, I don't know why grocery stores feel the need to sell stuff like patio furniture, beach towels, garden hoses, and lawn jockeys.

Ha! From the displays visible in that picture you'd think it was some cheap $1 store instead of a grocery store. Although there are probably times when one might want to grab some non-grocery or drug items at Kroger, I don't know why grocery stores feel the need to sell stuff like patio furniture, beach towels, garden hoses, and lawn jockeys.

Hey, the picture includes the latest Wine Spectator. Kroger's trying to appease you yuppies, too!

Probably the store is interested in making money. They wouldn't offer that stuff for sale if there weren't a chance someone would buy it. That's the area designated for "Seasonal" merchandise--Summer, Back to School, Halloween, etc. Which needs to be stocked with something. I'm sure things will be more tastefully arranged after the remo.

Those of us who are truly hip know to check out Big Lots first....

Hey, the picture includes the latest Wine Spectator. Kroger's trying to appease you yuppies, too!

Probably the store is interested in making money. They wouldn't offer that stuff for sale if there weren't a chance someone would buy it. That's the area designated for "Seasonal" merchandise--Summer, Back to School, Halloween, etc. Which needs to be stocked with something. I'm sure things will be more tastefully arranged after the remo.

Those of us who are truly hip know to check out Big Lots first....

I'm imagining a couple late-30's yuppies sitting in front of their McMansion in that nifty patio set (the one that's on top of the aisle) reading their Wine Spectator. Would be even better if they dragged out an extension cord to run one of those box fans in the front yard!

I'm imagining a couple late-30's yuppies sitting in front of their McMansion in that nifty patio set (the one that's on top of the aisle) reading their Wine Spectator. Would be even better if they dragged out an extension cord to run one of those box fans in the front yard!

Hey, them ain't yuppies, they're LA transplants. Trust me ;) . And we, I mean they, will either have multiple ice chests out there with us, or extensions cords with a mini fridge and a tv.

• 1 month later...

The new kroger gas station looks like it's nearly ready to open...

anybody know an ETA for the gas station and the reconstruction?

also, i thought i read that a 24 Fitness and other new businesses might come into the same plaza....does anyone know if we can expect any new businesses alongside the new and improved kroger?

The new kroger gas station looks like it's nearly ready to open...

anybody know an ETA for the gas station and the reconstruction?

also, i thought i read that a 24 Fitness and other new businesses might come into the same plaza....does anyone know if we can expect any new businesses alongside the new and improved kroger?

i found an article on the web from a few years ago talking about a 24 hr fitness going into the center at TC Jester and 18th St, where the Restaurant Depot is now. I had not heard about a 24 hour fitness near the Kroger.... I can only dream.

i found an article on the web from a few years ago talking about a 24 hr fitness going into the center at TC Jester and 18th St, where the Restaurant Depot is now. I had not heard about a 24 hour fitness near the Kroger.... I can only dream.

Can we get a super sport in the Heights? Us moving means we're going to be inconveniently far from the Louisiana gym.

My wife's trainer at 24 hr fitness said they've already decided on a location "in the Heights" for an "Ultra" location, which would be the only one in the state if I'm not mistaken. I haven't been able to confirm where yet, but my hope is that it goes in between Yale and Heights, just south of I-10. That large lot was recently cleared away, so maybe, just maybe....and the Kroger spot or the TC Jester spot would also be ok.

I'll be sure to let the HAIFers know if I find out anything more.

Of course, this is second hand, but from a fairly reliable source.

My wife's trainer at 24 hr fitness said they've already decided on a location "in the Heights" for an "Ultra" location, which would be the only one in the state if I'm not mistaken. I haven't been able to confirm where yet, but my hope is that it goes in between Yale and Heights, just south of I-10. That large lot was recently cleared away, so maybe, just maybe....and the Kroger spot or the TC Jester spot would also be ok.

What I understand is going to happen

-the Kroger on W 20 is going to close when hoo-ha Kroger is completed.

-Weingarten, which owns the Old Kroger/Walgreens at 20th and Yale is going to remodel, and include a major fitness facility. I heard this when I attended the meeting about 2121 Yale some time ago.

I have wondered whether the Walgreen's would have to move to the Kroger side since the remodeling project may be really major. I would think that Walgreen's would want to hold onto their Yale frontage.

I have heard through the "grapevine" that 24 hour fitness was going to open up their new location on the large vacant lot south of I-10 between Yale and Bonner. Building another brand new center, instead of re-furbing an older strip mall location. Reason being that this location is supposed to have a pool, basketball/raquetball courts.

I guess it was going to be easier/cheaper to build from the ground-up rather than refurbing and older center that wasn't built for a pool.

I think it was contingent upon the city expanding the I-10 feeder road down to Yale/Heights to ease access.

I haven't seen any signs of construction on that intersection (I-10 and Patterson), so I'm guessing this could be in jeopardy.

All rumors/concepts at this point though.

• 4 weeks later...

What I understand is going to happen

-the Kroger on W 20 is going to close when hoo-ha Kroger is completed.

-Weingarten, which owns the Old Kroger/Walgreens at 20th and Yale is going to remodel, and include a major fitness facility. I heard this when I attended the meeting about 2121 Yale some time ago.

I have wondered whether the Walgreen's would have to move to the Kroger side since the remodeling project may be really major. I would think that Walgreen's would want to hold onto their Yale frontage.

I can't help but think what those that hate the 11th St. Kroger now, would have thought about the OLD Kroger store at W.11th? It was a teeny, tiny, dark hole covered with grime from floor to ceiling. That is...if you could get in the automatic front door which sounded like it was going to break every time it opened. Walgreen's has been there a long time at the corner of 20th and Yale. If they must move, I would think a fresh coat of paint on the old Eckerd's at 20th and Main would make a fine location for Walgreen's to relocate. It's a real shame that building is just sitting there going to waste. It's even worse when you realize that the Eckerd's being built in the first place is what killed longtime Heights businesses Akin's Pharmacy and K&K Grocers both of which were on the opposing corners of the intersection. Now the replacement is gone, and besides Rudy's barbershop next to the old pharmacy....there's nothing really left.

I can't help but think what those that hate the 11th St. Kroger now, would have thought about the OLD Kroger store at W.11th? It was a teeny, tiny, dark hole covered with grime from floor to ceiling. That is...if you could get in the automatic front door which sounded like it was going to break every time it opened. Walgreen's has been there a long time at the corner of 20th and Yale. If they must move, I would think a fresh coat of paint on the old Eckerd's at 20th and Main would make a fine location for Walgreen's to relocate. It's a real shame that building is just sitting there going to waste. It's even worse when you realize that the Eckerd's being built in the first place is what killed longtime Heights businesses Akin's Pharmacy and K&K Grocers both of which were on the opposing corners of the intersection. Now the replacement is gone, and besides Rudy's barbershop next to the old pharmacy....there's nothing really left.

BTW- filed up at Kroger the other night while moving (10+ days of packing down, 3 days of moving (12 hours) down and going...) - $2.19 after my Kroger card savings!

"I can't help but think what those that hate the 11th St. Kroger now, would have thought about the OLD Kroger store at W.11th? It was a teeny, tiny, dark hole covered with grime from floor to ceiling."

Amen! I think the even older Henke and Pilot was better than the “old Kroger”. I think they had about 6 checkout lines, and rarely did they use them all, even when it was busy.

Someone mentioned a “convenience store” being demolished to make way for the Kroger Gas station. The only store I remember was across 11th, the U-Tote-Em. Is that where it is?

I can only hope - I pay $21/year and can go to ANY club. As soon as my job/moving settles we need to get my wife the same deal.

"I can't help but think what those that hate the 11th St. Kroger now, would have thought about the OLD Kroger store at W.11th? It was a teeny, tiny, dark hole covered with grime from floor to ceiling."

Amen! I think the even older Henke and Pilot was better than the “old Kroger”. I think they had about 6 checkout lines, and rarely did they use them all, even when it was busy.

Someone mentioned a “convenience store” being demolished to make way for the Kroger Gas station. The only store I remember was across 11th, the U-Tote-Em. Is that where it is?

Heights2Bastrop, I believe they are talking about the Mobil gas station that was on the SW corner of Shep. and 11th. That has been torn down since around the turn of the year. U-Tote-M is still there, well at least the building. It's a (insert name here) food store now. BTW, I remember those 6 checkout lines! There wasn't much change at all, to the best of my recollection, when H&P became Kroger. Sure do miss that Wyatt's right down the strip from it...

OK, I see now. The last I remember, that was still a Texaco, I didn’t know it had changed to Mobil.

That was Everett Texaco. Across Shepherd was Hooker’s Humble, then Exxon. Across 11th from that was Hendrix’s Gulf. And back across Shepherd was, I believe, a Phillips 66, but don’t know who owned it.

I used to buy $5 used tires at the Firestone behind U-Tote-Em, then Mr. Hendrix would let me use his equipment to mount my “new” tires. His son graduated with my sister. Mama used to date Bob Hooker. The Heights truly was a town of it’s own, even in the 60s.

Lotsa great memories from Merchant’s Park.

OK, I see now. The last I remember, that was still a Texaco, I didn’t know it had changed to Mobil.

That was Everett Texaco. Across Shepherd was Hooker’s Humble, then Exxon. Across 11th from that was Hendrix’s Gulf. And back across Shepherd was, I believe, a Phillips 66, but don’t know who owned it.

I used to buy $5 used tires at the Firestone behind U-Tote-Em, then Mr. Hendrix would let me use his equipment to mount my “new” tires. His son graduated with my sister. Mama used to date Bob Hooker. The Heights truly was a town of it’s own, even in the 60s.

Lotsa great memories from Merchant’s Park.

You are right. That was a Texaco for many years, and only changed to a Mobil within the last couple of years. Ah yes, the Exxon on the corner, where Mattress Firm is now. I had a new speedometer cable and gear replaced in my 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass at that Exxon. When they were through, I could be driving 60mph and the car was reading 20mph. Needless to say, after that I never went back. Great memories of MP for me as well. Wish I had a nickel for every pin I've ever knocked down at the ol' N. Shepherd lanes.

The old Kroger was the Henke and Pilot. You may have too much Bastrop hay between your ears now but, if I remember right, it was the last Henkes built before the Kroger take over. All that Kroger had to do to this store was pull down the six lighted H E N K E S letters and replace them with K R O G E R letters. The store remained basically unchanged until it was torn down 5 or 6 years ago. Hence the dark and grimmy look you refer to.

If anyone wants to see what a Henke and Pilot store looked like, drive by the Goodwill store on 45th and Ave U in Galveston.

“The old Kroger was the Henke and Pilot. You may have too much Bastrop hay between your ears now but, if I remember right, it was the last Henkes built before the Kroger take over. All that Kroger had to do to this store was pull down the six lighted H E N K E S letters and replace them with K R O G E R letters.”

Plumber, I would be insulted, but I’ve been accused of having worse substances packed between my ears. Yes, the H&P and Kroger #11 was the same building, but not the same aesthetically. I never remembered having a sudden bout of depression whenever I walked into H&P.

I had a friend at the bar who worked for Kroger. We used to talk about “Number eleven” all the time. She said the store was so bad that most of her coworkers refused to acknowledge it as a Kroger, referring to it instead as something like a backward cousin. It was by far the worst store in the Kroger chain in the area.

“The store remained basically unchanged until it was torn down 5 or 6 years ago. Hence the dark and grimmy look you refer to.”

I believe the new Kroger was built quite a bit before that. Although I still had my house on Bay Oaks, I stayed elsewhere from ’02 to when I moved to Bastrop in ’05. I can’t associate other events to its opening, but my guess is somewhere between the early to mid 90s. Could even be earlier.

Archived