Merchants Park: Retail Center At 1303-1421 W. 11th St.

samiamj

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First post, but long time lurker.

Anyhow, I live 3 minutes from Kroger at 11th, and could even walk if I had to. I will put up with a lot before driving an additional 10-15 (or more) minutes to another store. If for no other reason that I believe it is absurd to drive that far to shop for staple groceries.

First post, but long time lurker.

Anyhow, I live 3 minutes from Kroger at 11th, and could even walk if I had to. I will put up with a lot before driving an additional 10-15 (or more) minutes to another store. If for no other reason that I believe it is absurd to drive that far to shop for staple groceries.

Welcome to the forum!

Yeah, I've got no big issues with 11th St. Kroger and go there all the time. I don't plan well enough to do big shops far away from home, and appreciate Kroger's convenience. I'd love to see them expand, but I haven't heard any recent confirmation it's still going to happen.

They demolished the convenience store in the Kroger parking lot some time this week - I wonder what's up with that.

Beat me to it! Yeah they were bashing everything up when I drove by today. For some reason they were knocking the sign down with the track-hoe too. That could have been used for another Mobil station I guess, but whatever.

In the new design is the Kroger gas station going on the corner where this was, or are they moving things around? I guess if they were leaving any underground storage tanks in tact it couldn't really move. Just don't know.

It seems like they keep trying to improve the natural foods section, which is where I look for a number of staples (around our house, anyways).

their intention, based on preliminary discussion here, is to have a much larger NatFoods section along the lines of the BUffalo Spdwy store.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like they are starting the Kroger renovation. About time! I didn't realize the renovation will include the former Region Bank. This is going to be a super Kroger. Let's see if customer service and store upkeep will be as good as the HEB on Bunker Hill.

Looks like they are starting the Kroger renovation. About time! I didn't realize the renovation will include the former Region Bank. This is going to be a super Kroger.

That's good news - I was wondering if it was still going to happen.

Looks like they are starting the Kroger renovation. About time! I didn't realize the renovation will include the former Region Bank. This is going to be a super Kroger. Let's see if customer service and store upkeep will be as good as the HEB on Bunker Hill.

yeah, it's going to be big. i don't know if i mentioned it in this thread (or if someone else did) but it's going to be the largest Kroger in the southwest... part of me fears it will almost be too big, as the one on buffalo speedway can be a little overwhelming when you want something simple like bread and eggs and have to walk the the whole store to find them...

This may be a dumb question, but where are they going to find the space to expand this Kroger? I know there is a little space behind the Kroger to expand towards Shepherd, but it doesn't look like it's enough space to call it the "biggest in the SW".

Also, I wonder if parking will be a concern...

This may be a dumb question, but where are they going to find the space to expand this Kroger? I know there is a little space behind the Kroger to expand towards Shepherd, but it doesn't look like it's enough space to call it the "biggest in the SW".

Also, I wonder if parking will be a concern...

they have taken over the regions bank space plus the 2-3 smaller spaces in between. that parking lot is HUGE. not all close to the entrance of kroger, but it's big. plus, they could change the entrance from the corner to the middle after the expansion. i haven't seen a rendering. anyone?

they have taken over the regions bank space plus the 2-3 smaller spaces in between. that parking lot is HUGE. not all close to the entrance of kroger, but it's big. plus, they could change the entrance from the corner to the middle after the expansion. i haven't seen a rendering. anyone?

I don't even see really how they would make it bigger than River Oaks Kroger.

I don't even see really how they would make it bigger than River Oaks Kroger.

How or why? There's plenty of retail space in that whole strip for them to take over to make it a huge store. I just wonder why they don't focus on quality of products and service instead of quantity of space. I don't recall too many comments about the current space being too small. Most of the comments have been about the expired products, lack of cleanliness and the horrible customer service from the employees.

I wish they would put a Central Market somewhere in the neighborhood.

We've been driving down to the one on Westheimer during the week (it's deserted in the evenings) and it makes me wish they thought of putting one in the Heights.

And I agree, I'd much rather the Kroger focus on quality rather than making it bigger.

Actually, driving by today, the contstruction fence encloses an area even further south than I drew on that map. All the way down to just North of O'Reilly Auto Parts which is in the section where it narrows down on the West (Durham) side.

The China Buffet isn't too bad if you want cheap and crappy Chinese buffet. I've had worse.

Hopefully the renovated Kroger will ahve a fire exit that isn't continually blocked by shopping carts, sales racks, stc. I had to get the manager out 5 times baout the blocked fire exit, then finally called HFD.

I've eaten at the Chinese buffet with a buy one get one free coupon. Never again. If you like chicken and more chicken, this is the place. I have to rate this as the worse chinese buffet in Houston.

You haven't been to many Chinese buffets, then! This one is not good at all, but nowhere near the worst. I've eaten at a few that would make your toenails fall off.

Plus, you gotta love a chinese buffet that serves mexican food.

You haven't been to many Chinese buffets, then! This one is not good at all, but nowhere near the worst. I've eaten at a few that would make your toenails fall off.

And don't go there anytime near closing. The employees just about stand by your table and tap their feet.

If you eat that that Chinese buffett, I'd advise against you looking up the health dept's inspection of that place. Same with Java Java.

Interesting....Is there a place on the COH website where you can look these up?

Never mind, found it. Gotta love Google.

http://houston.tx.gegov.com/media/search.c...&MAXROWS=10

In my experience, this is usually an accurate barometer of the likelihood of developing indigestion a couple of hours after the fact. Not sure if this is related to the quality (or lack thereof) of the food, or my own poor impulse control.

I used to work right down the street from that place, and one of the managers used to love going there. He was really into competitive cycling, so he'd burn off the aftereffects of a multi-plate lunch quickly.

So what is a good chinese buffet around here? The only one I've been to in my 8 years here is Jin Fu super buffet in Pearland (near work) - it has chinese...and of course, Italian, and Texas. Yeah that makes tons of sense.

Only time I ever had food poisoning was from a chinese buffet in Baton Rouge (Great Wall). I remember standing 3 feet from the toilet and not missing a single drop...anyway, I went back 3 weeks later.

The good ones are located in southwest Houston. My three favorites are Lucky Village on Westherimer/BW 8, Happy Panda on SW Frwy/Kirkwood or Silver Palace on Bellaire/Stella Link. When you see a large asian clientele, it speaks volume on the quality.

I noticed yesterday morning that they have started tearing down part of the strip center on the Durham side. Maybe they're taking out parts of the strip to add more parking? I'm actually happy they're putting a Kroger fuel center in... Now I can use my points! :)

Archived