Refined Beauty

this topic was inspired by a comment theniche made in another thread:

"If not the oz-like nightscape, then what is it? The billowing, streaming clouds of steam eminating forcefully from the stacks? The occasional flare that lights up the night sky in a massive fireball for hours on end? The pointy steel spires that frame the San Jac Monument?

The petrochemical complex, IMO, is itself a form of architecture that is Houston's very own. No other major city has what we have, and what we have is beautiful.

Regardless of your view on petrochemicals, pollution, symbolism, or whatnot, looking at them just kicks total ass."

personally, i'm struck by the intricate structures surrounded and connected by pipes and valves, and machinations i have no idea what purpose they serve. sunrises and sunsets can be ethereal through the haze; there are colors i do not see in the woodlands. ultimately, i'm giddy at the amount of production and manpower, and technology, and shipping all occurring simultaneously. stink and health risks aside, there is much to appreciate about the port of houston esthetically and economically.

any other fans?

stink and health risks aside, there is much to appreciate about the port of houston esthetically and economically.

I'd also say that the stink is sometimes really appealing. Sweet, even. ...other times, not so much. Sometimes it is an acrid smell that, like the faint smell of skunk, I perversely enjoy. I'll never forget the overwhelming stench of dirty diapers coming over the Fred Hartman Bridge into La Porte one evening, however.

I like it. I have memories from when I was very young of crossing over the Mississippi River bridge eastward into Baton Rouge, and you can see the Exxon refinery and a handful of other plants all just north of town. I used to think it was some magically bright city, but even after I figured out what it was I still enjoy the sight. I haven't experienced the same view in Houston, what's a good vantage point?

I like it. I have memories from when I was very young of crossing over the Mississippi River bridge eastward into Baton Rouge, and you can see the Exxon refinery and a handful of other plants all just north of town. I used to think it was some magically bright city, but even after I figured out what it was I still enjoy the sight. I haven't experienced the same view in Houston, what's a good vantage point?

There are lots of them. The East Loop, the 610/225 stack near Harrisburg, E. Beltway 8, the Lynchburg Ferry and nearby San Jacinto Monument, the new park where Brownwood used to be, and SH 146 (Fred Hartman) are all excellent vantage points, as is the entire drive down 225 and parts of Interstate 10. Or you can use Google Earth and get creative.

Texas City's refineries can be viewed at their best from the Gulf Freeway, especially from across open marshes, from Skyline Dr., and from the Texas City Dike.

I hear negative things sometimes, but you know what...what you see is buisness..its what provides the daily things we enjoy. I tell people if you want them to go away, then quit using consumer goods. I actually kinda like the smell and the heat you feel from the unknown chemicals burning in the flare on 225 verrry late at night.

I'd like to see some photos of the refineries at night all lit up. I thought about photographing them close up once but I was told that I could get arrested for doing that.

I agree it's an interesting view, but I don't think I'd want to live close to them, and I have never thought of the smell as appealing. I think this is the only photo I can contribute (Texas City refineries from the Bolivar ferry)...

gallery_3613_99_70433.jpg

• 1 year later...

I'd like to see some photos of the refineries at night all lit up. I thought about photographing them close up once but I was told that I could get arrested for doing that.

I agree it's an interesting view, but I don't think I'd want to live close to them, and I have never thought of the smell as appealing. I think this is the only photo I can contribute (Texas City refineries from the Bolivar ferry)...

gallery_3613_99_70433.jpg

I always thought the distant view of Texas city looked futuristic yet post-apocalyptic, particularly at night.

For another oddly beautiful view drive down 288 to Freeport at night. The Dow chemical facility is massive.

do miles of refineries make you tingle?

Yeah, but I thought that was just nerve damage... ;)

Some of the best refinery views are from the edge of Galveston Bay, like the San Leon area. You can see everything from Baytown, La Porte, Deer Park, and on around to Texas City and Galveston.

I've never been to East Bay, but I imagine that would have a hell of a view at night, looking back to the west at the "civilized" side of the bay.

Our refinery landscape is awesome, especially at night. The steam and flames make it look like some post-apocalyptic cityscape from the future.

Looking out at the refineries at dusk always reminds me of blade runner.

Which I guess is a good fit.

When I was a kid and we'd take the weekend trip down to the Monument, I remember looking at the pipes as a huge maze and wondering how anyone has any idea where it goes and how it gets there.

Now when I gaze upon them, the interesting aspects that stand out to me are still the maze of pipes, but also the soft bends of the pipe intermixed with the exposed hard angled exposed structure. Tanks of all shapes and sizes, stacks. Basically a super huge chemists set made of metal instead of glass.

It really would be cool to be let in there with a camera and shoot a few thousand pictures, but I'd probably be labeled a terrorist, or they'd come up with some safety reason as to why I couldn't be there.

When we run out of Oil will we convert these over to stills for making all forms of liquor?

As for the smells? I used to make fun of Pasadena (who hasn't called it stinkadina at least once in their life), but now, being tied to these businesses from a controls point of view, I consider it the smell of money :)

Some of the best refinery views are from the edge of Galveston Bay, like the San Leon area. You can see everything from Baytown, La Porte, Deer Park, and on around to Texas City and Galveston.

I've never been to East Bay, but I imagine that would have a hell of a view at night, looking back to the west at the "civilized" side of the bay.

Another good "wide angle" is from the top of the Kemah bridge looking north (of course). Your look will be brief if you are driving since stopping on the bridge is not allowed. Try parking the car and walking over the bridge. Then you will get the added benefit of some exercise but be careful: there is no barrier between the shoulder and the traffic lanes.

For another oddly beautiful view drive down 288 to Freeport at night. The Dow chemical facility is massive.

Yes. I grew up with it. Very impressive. Once in a while they'd have a giant flare (probably a hundred-foot flame) which would light up the sky almost like daylight.

• The title was changed to Refined Beauty

Archived