University of Houston Downtown Campus Developments

Guest danax

Note that the actual diploma a graduate receives will state which college they attended. For ex. graduates of UH-Downtown will have that very name on their diploma, not just UH. I personally think they are both reputable institutions, serving different student needs. I will be looking into attending UH next semester because UH-Downtown doesn't have the variety of classes that I would like to take.

• Like 1

I'm a student there, planning to graduate in May 2009. Everyone in Houston knows where UHD is and doesn't get it confused with UH. It's been that way for 35 yrs, why does an outsider (Renu Khator) all of a sudden feel the need to change it?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/hei...ws/5953919.html

Maybe having it's own identity will work. It'll lose that UH connection and that's one of the reasons I attended UHD.

Edited by CHiPs

Isn't UH-D a state-funded institution? I might see the state jumping in and pushing a name like Texas State University - Houston (similar to how California has Cal. State - Los Angeles or Cal. State - Fullerton or Cal-State Long Beach and so on).

I'm not all that opposed to Houston Metropolitan University but I believe there are similar versions of that name in other metropolises. Two that come to mind are Metropolitan State in Denver and Atlanta Metropolitan College.

I could also see something like a Texas Coastal University, like Coastal Carolina near Myrtle Beach, SC.

Edited by The Great Hizzy!

yes the state funds UH-D

UH-D will not be called Texas State-Anything because it is a member of the UH System VS being a member of the Texas State System

http://www.uhsa.uh.edu/

http://www.tsus.edu/

while I feel the Texas State System consist of a number of schools that have done well especially in light of the low higher ed funding in Texas I would prefer to see the Texas State System go away......it is what is called a "weak system" where even though they are all in a "system" the individual universities still lobby for funding on their own

The Texas State System is trying to move towards a "strong" system where each school has their funding lobbied for by the system chancellor......similar to the UH System, UT System, TAMU System, and Texas Tech System

Angelo State left the Texas State System last year for the Tech system because they felt they were going to (and already being) left behind or ignored in a strong system for the schools east of I-35......so far Tech and Angelo State have been very happy together

I would like to see Lamar and Sam Houston go with UH and Sul Ross go with Tech and then Texas State given a choice of what system to join.....and then the overhead of the Texas State system sent to the former members of that system for direct university funding....I feel Lamar especially fits in very well with what UH offers and Sam Houston would fit in with UH as well and Sul Ross would fit in well with Tech

I would see Texas State either with TAMU or with Tech.....I would doubt they would want to join the UT System and I do not think Texas is going to allow any more independent universities

also what makes UH-D and UH different than the UT schools or the TAMU schools is that none of the UT or TAMU schools are in the same city....while UH and UH-D are very close

UH-Cinco Ranch and UH-Sugarland are not separate schools.....they are a part of the UH main campus......the classes and degree programs there are the same as UH on Cullen and they have the same president (Dr. Khator) or in the case of Sugarland some of the degrees are actually through Victoria........while as mentioned before the UH-D and UH classes are not always the same nor are the degree plans and UH-D has its own president and admissions.....so it defeats the purpose of having them be separate schools with their own president and class/degree/admissions requirements when people think they are another "system center" like Cinco Ranch and Sugarland

UH-Clear Lake and UH Victoria are both separate school, but they have the other city in their name so it is less difficult to confuse them and to understand they are separate universities with their own president ect.

Edited by TexasVines

Most people think that UH-Downtown is a branch, satellite or extension campus of UH, which it is not as per my post above. The general public thinks that UH-Downtown and UH are the same university. Hopefully the name change of UHD will end the reference of UH as "UH-Central" or "UH main campus". References to UH such as "UH-Central" and "UH Main Campus" are misnomers.

With all these people referring to UH as "UH-Central" or "UH Main Campus" are the reasons why UH System and the students/alumni at UH advocate the name change of UH-Downtown.

A lot of UHD students and graduates I have met believe that they are part of UH. They would tell me they attend or graduated from UH, but to find out that they really attend or graduated from UHD (they lied, either intentionally or unintentionally)! People who graduated from UHD or not UH graduates and they do not have any rights pertaining to UH. The students and alumni at UH do not want to be associated with UHD. A lot of UHD graduates also falsify their resumes by putting down they graduated from "University of Houston" when they should have put "University of Houston-Downtown".

The time has come to elevate the status of the University of Houston (UH) by renaming UH-Downtown to something else without the root name "University of Houston." UH doesn't have the image it derserves because it has been negatively affected by UH-Downtown by the general public thinking it is the same university.

You seem to have an issue with this. Do you really think that UH's reputation has been tarnished by UHD? How so? You think renaming UHD to something else will help UH?

Edited by LTAWACS

Your argument for changing the name of UHD will be non-valid as long as the names UH-Clear Lake, UH-Victoria, University of Houston System at Cinco Ranch and University of Houston System at Sugar Land continue to exist. Unless the names of the other campuses are changed to names eliminating any connection with UH, there will ALWAYS be somebody referring to UH as "UH-Central" or "UH main campus". You cannot blame this problem solely upon UHD.

Well, I didn't know that UHD was dirtying up the reputation of UH. Please, tell me what image UH "derserves".

$10 says he won't respond.

Your argument for changing the name of UHD will be non-valid as long as the names UH-Clear Lake, UH-Victoria, University of Houston System at Cinco Ranch and University of Houston System at Sugar Land continue to exist. Unless the names of the other campuses are changed to names eliminating any connection with UH, there will ALWAYS be somebody referring to UH as "UH-Central" or "UH main campus". You cannot blame this problem solely upon UHD.

Well, I didn't know that UHD was dirtying up the reputation of UH. Please, tell me what image UH "derserves".

Exactly. A few years back when I was looking at schools, my high school counselor, the tour guide @ UH, and everyone I've ever known has referred to UH as "Main Campus". I think even some websites do.

This topic needs a third thread now?? And what exactly does it have to do with architecture? Sheesh.

I know, why so many threads? but I do find this topic interesting, as I have recently inquired about attending one of the two Universities. Will UH - Downtown be cutting all ties to the UH System? or remain in the "system" as they are currently?

On a side note, the architecture (at both campuses) has an extraordinary history behind it...check it out.

• Like 1

I know, why so many threads? but I do find this topic interesting, as I have recently inquired about attending one of the two Universities. Will UH - Downtown be cutting all ties to the UH System? or remain in the "system" as they are currently?

On a side note, the architecture (at both campuses) has an extraordinary history behind it...check it out.

it will stay a part of the UH System

1. Because I see no mention of them wanting to break away

2. Because Texas will not allow any more independent state universities

Slightly off topic, but I've always wondered with it's proximity to downtown, has UH-D considered building residential units to offer to their students?

becuase it's strictly a commuter school and caters more to an older crowd rather than the type who would need student housing.

as for the name, they should leave it alone. i'm a 2001 graduate and like the association with the university of houston system.

so far, the suggestion that i do like are:

# City University of Houston

# Houston University

# Houston University of Science and the Arts

# Milam University

# Travis University

# University of Arts & Technology - Houston

as for these names, WTF?:

# Bluebonnet University (no, not for an urban university)

# Gulf Breeze State (a university or feminine products?)

# Houston Opportunity University (not just no, but hell no)

# Maverick University (mccain fanboys?)

# University of Hopes & Dreams (why not name it barack obama university?)

as for these names, WTF?:

# Bluebonnet University (no, not for an urban university)

# Gulf Breeze State (a university or feminine products?)

# Houston Opportunity University (not just no, but hell no)

# Maverick University (mccain fanboys?)

# University of Hopes & Dreams (why not name it barack obama university?)

those are all horrible, but the two I put in bold.......why not just call it welfare state university :rolleyes:

I would like to see the fools that suggested those :huh:

Timeline of UH and UH System name changes

1927 - Houston Junior College opens

1934 - Houston Junior College becomes a 4-year institution and changes its name to University of Houston (UH)

1973 - University of Houston Victoria Center (UHVC) opens as a branch campus of UH

1974 - University of Houston Downtown College (UHDC) and University of Houston at Clear Lake City (UHCLC) open as branch campuses of UH

1977 - University of Houston System (UHS) establishes by the Texas Legislature

1977 - University of Houston Downtown College separates from UH and becomes a stand-alone university within the UH System

1983 - University of Houston Downtown College changes its name to University of Houston

Edited by FordGuyHTX

• 2 weeks later...

I think Houston City University is the best and clearest choice... you can't possibly confuse it with anything else around the metro area. HCU (although one letter away from HBU) is a nice clear set of inititals. I agree that the name change is needed just b/c UH and UH-D are in closer proximity to each other than the other system schools. But HCU is a nice name that the university could be proud of.

Cibolo sucks, nobody cares about the former name of Buffalo. Houstonians may now where Allen's Landing is, but they don't want a university named after it. Houston Center is a development, and real Houstonians know that downtown isn't actually the "center" of the city.

HCU, HCU, HCU

nice! It's even website ready.... there's no domain name for www.hcutx.edu

Edited by totheskies

Great link. I see quite a few HAIFers already suggested names. I can even right now that Cibolo, Maverick, Bluebonnet and Hopes & Dreams will bite the dust. Unless, well, if they have a Cibolo or a maverick in the committee.

"University of South Texas" was proposed. We're not even in South Texas <_< I vote that guy off the island.

• 2 weeks later...
That UH student was correct! The University of Houston-Downtown ("UHD") is not part of the University of Houston ("UH"). UHD is not a "branch," "extension" or "satellite" campus of UH. UHD is a stand-alone (autonomous) university with its own president, grants their own degrees, and is separately accredited. Therefore, people attending or alumni of UHD are not UH students or alumni!

The University of Houston ("UH") only has one campus, and it is located at 4800 Calhoun Road by Interstate 45 and Spur 5. All the confusions and misconceptions of referring the University of Houston (UH) as "UH-Central" or "UH main campus" are evidences of confusion/ignorance among the general public. These are strong enough evidences which support the name change of the University of Houston-Downtown to something else without the root name 'University of Houston' included in hoping that the University of Houston (UH) will just be referred to its official name of "University of Houston" or "UH" without 'central' or 'main campus' associated with it. The University of Houston is NOT and does NOT operate as a multi-campus university like the University of California or local community colleges such as HCC or San Jacinto.

As a graduate of the University of Houston's Bauer College of Business (BBA '06), I am tired of people asking me what "campus" I attended and having to explain that UH only has one campus located at 4800 Calhoun Rd. I have refrained from referring to the school as "central campus" or "main campus" as noted above the University of Houston is NOT a multi-campus university.

The University of Houston System ("UH System" or "UHS") oversees four independent degree granting universities. These universities are independent of each other, not campuses of one another (i.e. UHCL, UHD, and UHV are not branch or extension campuses of UH). Below is a hierarchy of the UH System (UHS) to illustrate that the University of Houston (UH) is not the "central" or "main campus" of anything and they do not oversee other schools.

• University of Houston System (UHS)

o University of Houston (UH)

o University of Houston-Clear Lake (UHCL)

o University of Houston-Downtown (UHD)

o University of Houston-Victoria (UHV)

Simply put, UH-Downtown is not part of UH, but both are part of the UH System (UHS). As anyone can see, all four universities are independent (autonomous) of each other and they all report to the University of Houston System (UHS). Additionally, there are two multi-institution teaching centers (or satellite campuses) serving ALL four UH System universities:

• University of Houston System at Sugar Land (UHSSL)
  • University of Houston System at Cinco Ranch (UHSCR)

The above two teaching centers are not stand-alone or degree granting universities.

I must admit, the UH System is confusing in general and because of this, the reputation of the University of Houston (UH) has been affected negatively

I think Houston City University is the best and clearest choice... you can't possibly confuse it with anything else around the metro area. HCU (although one letter away from HBU) is a nice clear set of inititals. I agree that the name change is needed just b/c UH and UH-D are in closer proximity to each other than the other system schools. But HCU is a nice name that the university could be proud of.

Cibolo sucks, nobody cares about the former name of Buffalo. Houstonians may now where Allen's Landing is, but they don't want a university named after it. Houston Center is a development, and real Houstonians know that downtown isn't actually the "center" of the city.

HCU, HCU, HCU

nice! It's even website ready.... there's no domain name for www.hcutx.edu

Agree... that is by far the best choice.

How about University of Houston "City Center" (or Center City)?

Generally not significantly different from 'Downtown', but emphasizes the city/urban aspect as well as center/central aspect.

Also may help eliminate confusion with the primary flagship UH campus, which some may consider to be "downtown" as well, but probably not the "center" of the city.

How about University of Houston "City Center" (or Center City)?

Generally not significantly different from 'Downtown', but emphasizes the city/urban aspect as well as center/central aspect.

Also may help eliminate confusion with the primary flagship UH campus, which some may consider to be "downtown" as well, but probably not the "center" of the city.

How about:

Bayou Shores University (BSU)

Allen Place University

The Allen Institute

Or since the train runs alongside it...

Metro Station University

University on Rails

Any takers?

I didn't think so...lol!!!

How about:

Bayou Shores University (BSU)

Allen Place University

The Allen Institute

Or since the train runs alongside it...

Metro Station University

University on Rails

Any takers?

I didn't think so...lol!!!

That's funny, but I don't think UHD students will laugh. I stand by Houston City University.