Wreck In The Box

Are you freakin' kidding? Was there any indication this place was facing the wrecking ball? Is this a rebuild or is Jack in the Crack leaving us? That would be good for my waistline, I suppose.

:lol:

There is always that mom and pop place across the street.

that section of Telephone is not lacking in food opportunities.

!!!

I'll have to take Dumble up to the highway tomorrow. I will ask my dude at the Shell station what's going on. He's got to know. Hopefully John's Broiler Burger is not affected. I've been avoiding Dumble lately because of all the hassle with the sewer work on Polk right there.

What? :mellow:

It once had numerous more variety of fast foods over 35 yrs ago. Most are all gone and all thats left is really bad cheap food. Next to that Jack in the Crack was a Churches Fried Chicken, next block Luke's Hamburger's, across the street next to Leonard's Dept Store was Heap O Cream shop, Ray Hays still (barely) hanging on there, next was Felix Mx restuarant.

By early 80's most closed for a number of yrs then we had the sudden influx of... and it became very cheap fast food meal on wheels kind of trash. Developers said why bother to make something American-food-like, no one will buy it? This is why most long, long time people we knew in that vicinity started eating at places far from there. Still do to this day.

This is the chance to widen Dumble!

By early 80's most closed for a number of yrs then we had the sudden influx of... and it became very cheap fast food meal on wheels kind of trash. Developers said why bother to make something American-food-like, no one will buy it?

So how long has the Luby's been there?

No it isn't. The Yuppies of Eastwood would win the day on that because they wouldn't want to encourage traffic on neighborhood streets. Besides which, Dumble doesn't really need to be widened. Lockwood/Ernestine is a better candidate if and when the day comes that the East End is short on capacity.

I would say about a mere 6-7 years. Anyone can add to this but when Luby's was brand new, the interior was very beautiful. Whomever was responsibly for the interior design did great. It almost had a Courtyard Marriott appearance. Nice wall paper, very modern furnishings and those nice big room dividers of paneled glass. It has been thru at least 3 remodels since and now sports a very dreary cold look.

See what a big stretch of non-existant eateries are from Luby's to Crack in the box? Nothing, nada. Maybe a few cheesy taco on wheels, but thats it.

Now you would think that with the NEW Kipp Academy school going up nearby someone would take note and realize this area is severly deprived of decent eateries. For Pete's sake, even Harrisburg has done better.

The big question I pose is...

What does it take to make big food chains to start placing a variety all along this stretch? Heavenly intervention or what? :(

So now we are back to the East End Wish List topic it seems.

There are locally owned, independent burger/short order place, BBQ restaurant, taqueria, ice cream snack shack, and easily one of the best Thai restaurants in the city all within spitting distance. And a couple of blocks the other way, Mandolas. Not too shabby for a neighborhood like that. I really am not missing burger king and subway.

I would say about a mere 6-7 years. Anyone can add to this but when Luby's was brand new, the interior was very beautiful. Whomever was responsibly for the interior design did great. It almost had a Courtyard Marriott appearance. Nice wall paper, very modern furnishings and those nice big room dividers of paneled glass. It has been thru at least 3 remodels since and now sports a very dreary cold look.

See what a big stretch of non-existant eateries are from Luby's to Crack in the box? Nothing, nada. Maybe a few cheesy taco on wheels, but thats it.

Now you would think that with the NEW Kipp Academy school going up nearby someone would take note and realize this area is severly deprived of decent eateries. For Pete's sake, even Harrisburg has done better.

The big question I pose is...

What does it take to make big food chains to start placing a variety all along this stretch? Heavenly intervention or what? :(

So now we are back to the East End Wish List topic it seems.

So then I take it that on account of its decor, Luby's is "cheap fast food meals on wheels kind of trash" or is somehow serving "something American-food-like"?

This specific Luby's has gone downhill. The menu never changes and the prices are outrageous. Try the Luby's at Baybrook Mall and see what a big difference. Much better variety. These type of cafeteria- style places were meant for the mostly senior crowd (which I love) and they really cannot afford on their strick fixed incomes. So most end up staying at home. Real drag. The topic is speaking of Dumble/Telephone area by the way. :)

This specific Luby's has gone downhill. The menu never changes and the prices are outrageous. Try the Luby's at Baybrook Mall and see what a big difference. Much better variety. These type of cafeteria- style places were meant for the mostly senior crowd (which I love) and they really cannot afford on their strick fixed incomes. So most end up staying at home. Real drag. The topic is speaking of Dumble/Telephone area by the way. :)

Be that as it may, I'm trying to invalidate your earlier statement.

Crunch is right; there actually is a fair bit of selection right along that stretch.

well...the Barf in the box @ telephone and dumble is being razed as i type. anybody know what the future holds for this space?

I just realized how typical of our city this is.

Instead of demolishing the crummy bus depot caddy corner from here, they demolish this place. Totally backwards :angry:

Are you sure they are tearing this down or did one of those buses come crashing through in the middle of the night? :lol:

There are locally owned, independent burger/short order place, BBQ restaurant, taqueria, ice cream snack shack, and easily one of the best Thai restaurants in the city all within spitting distance. And a couple of blocks the other way, Mandolas. Not too shabby for a neighborhood like that. I really am not missing burger king and subway.

I personally would love a short list of nearby eateries. Other than thai and Ninfa's (which isn't terribly close anyways), we haven't been to any other restaurants in the area. Mandola's is in walking distance, but never seems to be open when we want to eat there ;).

It once had numerous more variety of fast foods over 35 yrs ago. Most are all gone and all thats left is really bad cheap food. Next to that Jack in the Crack was a Churches Fried Chicken, next block Luke's Hamburger's, across the street next to Leonard's Dept Store was Heap O Cream shop, Ray Hays still (barely) hanging on there, next was Felix Mx restuarant.

By early 80's most closed for a number of yrs then we had the sudden influx of... and it became very cheap fast food meal on wheels kind of trash. Developers said why bother to make something American-food-like, no one will buy it? This is why most long, long time people we knew in that vicinity started eating at places far from there. Still do to this day.

The point is there is a number of LOCAL business establishments that you can buy there, think what you will of the local "Taco on wheels" it's supporting the local economy, as well as getting the "local" flavor of food.

If Luby's, JIB, Church's, and Burger King is all your taste buds call "good food" then I truly feel sorry for you.

As a person who likes to support small businesses, I think its important to patronize these places as much as possible. Then again, that's how I got the acreage I call my waistline.

I personally would love a short list of nearby eateries. Other than thai and Ninfa's (which isn't terribly close anyways), we haven't been to any other restaurants in the area. Mandola's is in walking distance, but never seems to be open when we want to eat there ;) .

Most are just little lunch joints, but:

John's broiler burger is right on Dumble and Telephne, it's a little greasy spoon with good burgers, alwasy crowded at lunch. And, Ive noticed lots of car in the parking lot for breakfast on the weekends. I might go try it for eggs n pork products.

I have not been to Pete's BBQ, which is on Telephone a block further down from Dumble.

Across the highway between TSU and UH on Scott is a good little Vietnamese place. Am trying to remember the name....

My favorite breakfast tacos are at Brothers on the corner of Leeland and Dowling.

Burger Shacks: Champ Burger is across Harrisburg on Samson, I believe. They tast like Someburger in the Heights. Yum. Lunch only.

I see more action at the Sparkle Burger on Leeland each time I pass. They advertise chicken n waffles.

Cafe Flores on Lanwdale and Wayside is a very nice little lunch/coffee spot that I wish would expand into an east side mini-chain.

While I could care less about fast food chains, having more dinner options would be great. Like a pizza/pasta casual kind of place. I think with the towhnomes, there should be enough density to support more stuff along Polk, Leeland, etc in the future.

If Luby's, JIB, Church's, and Burger King is all your taste buds call "good food" then I truly feel sorry for you.

Then again, that's how I got the acreage I call my waistline

Never said it was good...well maybe when the beer munchies kick in. :blush:

and yep brewskies add much to the common Haif-a-mite figure.

Not sure how many remember the old Barf in the Box on that corner? It was right on the very utmost edge where there was or is a bus stop. The drive thru was facing directly at the Dept store across the street. Was the local for numerous after (Jackson Jr High) school fights (all races so dont go there) . This was around 1974-75. There was outdoor metal tables and an actual glass walk in phone booth. This when you spoke into the Jack in the box head. Seems hilarious now but you had to. The giant head would spin around way, way up on a pole at corner. We have some pics while in the car going thru drive thru. Dont ask why we had the munchies :ph34r: The manager's secret sauce was always the pun for school put downs/jokes.

Then again, that's how I got the acreage I call my waistline

Never said it was good...well maybe when the beer munchies kick in. :blush:

and yep brewskies add much to the common Haif-a-mite figure.

Not sure how many remember the old Barf in the Box on that corner? It was right on the very utmost edge where there was or is a bus stop. The drive thru was facing directly at the Dept store across the street. Was the local for numerous after (Jackson Jr High) school fights (all races so dont go there) . This was around 1974-75. There was outdoor metal tables and an actual glass walk in phone booth. This when you spoke into the Jack in the box head. Seems hilarious now but you had to. The giant head would spin around way, way up on a pole at corner. We have some pics while in the car going thru drive thru. Dont ask why we had the munchies :ph34r: The manager's secret sauce was always the pun for school put downs/jokes.

I certainly remember this specific JIB. Sad to see it go. It was the first one in the neighborhood. We drove from Ave. L to eat there back in the early 70's if not earlier. It was there all thru my munchie mania in high school but I chose Phifers or Italian Beef House over it for lunch. Also ate a Ray Hays Broiler Burger. The food now in no way resembles what was then a broiler burger. But Dinner Bell remains the same. The food stays great IMO!

Most are just little lunch joints, but:

John's broiler burger is right on Dumble and Telephne, it's a little greasy spoon with good burgers, alwasy crowded at lunch. And, Ive noticed lots of car in the parking lot for breakfast on the weekends. I might go try it for eggs n pork products.

I have not been to Pete's BBQ, which is on Telephone a block further down from Dumble.

Across the highway between TSU and UH on Scott is a good little Vietnamese place. Am trying to remember the name....

My favorite breakfast tacos are at Brothers on the corner of Leeland and Dowling.

Burger Shacks: Champ Burger is across Harrisburg on Samson, I believe. They tast like Someburger in the Heights. Yum. Lunch only.

I see more action at the Sparkle Burger on Leeland each time I pass. They advertise chicken n waffles.

Cafe Flores on Lanwdale and Wayside is a very nice little lunch/coffee spot that I wish would expand into an east side mini-chain.

While I could care less about fast food chains, having more dinner options would be great. Like a pizza/pasta casual kind of place. I think with the towhnomes, there should be enough density to support more stuff along Polk, Leeland, etc in the future.

The Vietnamese place is "Steve's" (the same owner has a bigger restaurant on Old Spanish Trail, open later than the UH one).

I would add Thelma's BBQ to this list (Live Oak and Lamar).

The coffee at Bohemeo's is not bad at all.

I just realized how typical of our city this is.

Instead of demolishing the crummy bus depot caddy corner from here, they demolish this place. Totally backwards :angry:

Somewhere out there, on this forum or another one, the building where that bus depot is located was mentioned as a design by one of Houston's leading architects of the 1920's-'30's. It was originally a service station and, as I recall, it was operated as such into the 1950's. The front part of the building still has the original good bones and curved roof line of "Norman Revival" or "Storybook" architecture - sort of a tie-in with the turreted strip center building in the same block. Someone with foresight should acquire the site, move that bus company elsewhere and restore the place.

But I forget - we're talking about the Near East End, aren't we? Aesthetics be damned!!!

Somewhere out there, on this forum or another one, the building where that bus depot is located was mentioned as a design by one of Houston's leading architects of the 1920's-'30's. It was originally a service station and, as I recall, it was operated as such into the 1950's.

Interesting, I wonder if it was designed by John Staub. I know he designed several service station prototype for Humble Oil, sort of "Bread and Butter" work between his high-profile River Oaks houses. I'll have to take a closer look at the building next time I am in the area.

Somewhere out there, on this forum or another one, the building where that bus depot is located was mentioned as a design by one of Houston's leading architects of the 1920's-'30's. It was originally a service station and, as I recall, it was operated as such into the 1950's. The front part of the building still has the original good bones and curved roof line of "Norman Revival" or "Storybook" architecture - sort of a tie-in with the turreted strip center building in the same block. Someone with foresight should acquire the site, move that bus company elsewhere and restore the place.

But I forget - we're talking about the Near East End, aren't we? Aesthetics be damned!!!

When we were kids we used to fill our bike tires with air at that gas station circa 1970-71 I vaguely remember the attendant it must have closed shortly after. I think it was vacant for a decade or so until it became this eyesore. In all reality this whole intersection needs to be brought into this century. Same old story went neglected because almost all long time residents fled in droves. Broiler Burger was nice place to hang out with the local Austin HS crowd. Never recall any trouble makers here. :)

well...the jack in the box @ telephone and dumble is being razed as i type. anybody know what the future holds for this space?

"Jack-In-The-Crack"? An updated one would be nice. Like this one.

Jack_In_the_Box_-_Charlotte_NC.jpg

That has to be what they're doing. You can't possibly say the place was lacking for business. I've seen cars stacked six deep at the drive thru even late at night.

Tacos at 2am hits the spot...after a nite out.

Luke's had the best fries, their burgers were fantanstic...it's a shame they didn't build another one after it burned down. It was a sad, sad day for me. :(

Luke's had the best fries, their burgers were fantanstic...it's a shame they didn't build another one after it burned down. It was a sad, sad day for me. :(

It became a Asian Food/Mongolian Beef sort of place didn't it? I never knew it burned down?

For those that dont remember, there were several gas stations like on each block it seemed. A Conoco where that new Autozone place is then where that UGLY Mexican record shop is used to be another another very convenient gas stop convenience store.

By mid 80's they got rid of them and we have been without ever since? What really hurt this little community was the closure of the Weingartens Grocery. No one complained so things stayed as they are. :angry:

It became a Asian Food/Mongolian Beef sort of place didn't it? I never knew it burned down?

For those that dont remember, there were several gas stations like on each block it seemed. A Conoco where that new Autozone place is then where that UGLY Mexican record shop is used to be another another very convenient gas stop convenience store.

By mid 80's they got rid of them and we have been without ever since? What really hurt this little community was the closure of the Weingartens Grocery. No one complained so things stayed as they are. :angry:

Luke's Burgers on 610 near the Galleria also burned....coincidence? :huh:

It is so weird seeing an empty space there now. They need to keep plowing the WHOLE block. That whole corner should be cut at an agle to allow traffic to spills into or off of Dumble. It would alleviate years of back up and wrecks at that funky intersection. It would be awesome to just see 3 big palms planted there with a entrance arch or sign reading Welcome to Near EE or something to that effect, too good to be true I know. Have another swig.

If the whole block was empty it would be fantastic to see a high rise 10-15 level condominium or facility for U of h students only. Dream on....again -_-

Archived