Free Wi-Fi In Downtown

The city announced on Tuesday that they've finally created a loose network of free wi-fi locations across downtown:

Wi-Fi Is Go! Well, Sort Of...

Surf the Web for free in 20 downtown locations

Where To Surf for Free Downtown

Has anyone used it yet? Thoughts on the network strength? Connectivity? Locations?

Wonder if the people who live in downtown loft/apartments can enjoy the perk of free Wi-Fi at home.

It's a good trend.

Wonder if the people who live in downtown loft/apartments can enjoy the perk of free Wi-Fi at home.

It's a good trend.

The way I understand it, no. The wi-fi is only in certain little outdoor pockets around downtown. But that would be cool... :)

I am downtown and can currently see 4 free WiFi and 3 secured WiFi networks.

On a good day I can pick up Allen Center Food Court.

Free networks, or open networks? A lot of people get them confused. For example, my home office network is "open" as in not WEP/WPA/etc... locked. But if your computer doesn't have an approved MAC address, it won't let you on.

TJI...

----------

Mayor Bill White, Houston Downtown District Announce Free WiFi Hotspot Network

for Downtown Area

Mayor Bill White joined the Houston Downtown District in announcing today the establishment of free-access wireless Internet hotspots in the downtown area.

The network, which uses the excess wireless capacity of the City

Free networks, or open networks? A lot of people get them confused. For example, my home office network is "open" as in not WEP/WPA/etc... locked. But if your computer doesn't have an approved MAC address, it won't let you on.

But if I sniffed your packets and got the MAC address of one of your approved devices, then cloned that MAC address on my laptop, I would have free rein?

Neat.

But if I sniffed your packets and got the MAC address of one of your approved devices, then cloned that MAC address on my laptop, I would have free rein?

Neat.

You would be able to use my DSL connection, yes. But I'd like to see you try.

Nothing is 100% secure. I'm willing to wager you're not going to rent a hot air balloon to hover outside my window for a few hours to sniff my packets and use my internet connection. It would cost you way more to rent the balloon than it would to just pony up the $9.95 for a day's connection at the T-Mobile hotspot on the ground floor.

I believe it's called "HoustonWiFi." All of that kind of information is on the Houston WiFi website. The Chronicle can't do everything for you... ;)

No, you're right. However ... I do not go downtown often and when I was down there for jury duty there are tons of WiFi networks. It would be nice if the Chronicle (whos' article I read) had listed that. Why should I search it out, if I am already reading the NEWS article about it?

• The title was changed to Free Wi-Fi In Downtown

Archived