Sign in to follow this  
tmariar

Save the Jim West Mansion!

So I know this should really be posted in the Jim West Mansion thread, but maybe our kind-hearted moderators will let it go as a separate topic for a day or two...

I talked recently to a family friend in Clear Lake who is heavily involved in the fight to save the Jim West Mansion. She said that the potential sale of the mansion to a commercial developer planning to build a retirement community on the grounds and use the mansion as a main building - a deal that was reported in a few places in 2007 when it looked to be about to go through - did not go through. (I know I'd been thinking for the last several months that it was a done deal.) And that the mansion's future is that much more uncertain as time passes and the deed restriction prohibiting anyone from tearing the mansion down until 2012 (less than four years from now) becomes less of an obstacle to commercial developers.

I'll try to post later information about donating to the non-profit organization trying to buy the mansion - I think they're working on a new donation program that would offer incentives at different levels, and there should be more information soon. In the meantime, I helped start a Save the Jim West Mansion! ipetition (in the tradition of the River Oaks Theatre ipetition) that just went up today.... it would be great if we could get a number of HAIFers on there! Don't know if we can get 26,000+(!) signatures like the other petition, but a petition might really be helpful in this situation given that, as far as I know, Olajuwon can do what he wants with the property and presumably wants to help Houston. Anyhow - y'all can be among the first to sign if it's something you support. Here is the ipetition link again.

Thanks in advance to anyone who does sign - and, please, spread the word! I would so like to see this structure saved!

Edited by tmariar
  • Like 1

Can't help wanting to say "thank you, thank you!" each time someone signs... but I'll try to keep it to PM's from now on.

Can't help wanting to say "thank you, thank you!" each time someone signs... but I'll try to keep it to PM's from now on.

Signed, sealed and delivered. No thanks necessary.

Signed yesterday, hope it's left intact & unaltered. :(

I thought this was just that other older Jim West topic so I ignored for a moment

but in any case, I just noticed it was a petition and just signed it!

Buona fortuna...Best of luck!

I thought this was just that other older Jim West topic so I ignored for a moment

but in any case, I just noticed it was a petition and just signed it!

Buona fortuna...Best of luck!

Me too. This is way too important.

I signed too! Lets stop the demolition madness, already!

Keep in mind the West mansion is in Pasadena. Not Houston.

One of the people leading the effort to find a buyer told me that for all its shortcomings, Houston actually offers more avenues for protecting historic structures than Pasadena.

She says Pasadena has NOTHING to help the mansion.

Only 50 signatures so far? There have to be more people who care about the Jim West Mansion than that. :( Please forward the link along to anyone you know who has ever taken even a passing interest in the mansion! It may only be an online petition, but it still serves a good purpose.

Thanks in advance to anyone who does sign - and, please, spread the word! I would so like to see this structure saved!

I signed, but it would have been much cooler had it been Adam West's mansion, bat cave anyone? :P

Pinned for greater visibility.

What is the difference between a pinned posts versus a sticky post?

Only 50 signatures so far? There have to be more people who care about the Jim West Mansion than that.

Apparently not. Outside of several ladies who've been working hard for five years to find a buyer, and a few people here on the HAIF, it doesn't appear that anybody cares for the West mansion. In fact, the only people who've ever cared for it were the original West family who built it and lived in it for a few years in the 20s and 30s. Even they moved out when old man West died in 1941, and it has sat vacant for most of the time since then.

NASA used it for a few years in the 70s as the home of the Lunar and Planetary Science Institute, but moved out because of the obvious problem of trying to fit the work of a scientific organization into a structure built as a home.

So what we have is a stunningly beautiful and palatial European style house that nobody wants. I hear that Hakeem Olajuwon wants 11 million dollars for the house and the 11 acres it sits on. Unfortunately nobody wants it at that price.

He wants to demolish the house and sell the property for whatever it will bring, but he can't because it's under deed restrictions that expire in 2012. So if no one buys the house and land before 2012, the West mansion will disappear and lord only knows what will take its place.

Don't bother appealing to Houston City Council, because it's not in Houston. It's in Pasadena, and Pasadena City Council couldn't care less.

Edited by FilioScotia

Apparently not. Outside of several ladies who've been working hard for five years to find a buyer, and a few people here on the HAIF, it doesn't appear that anybody cares for the West mansion. In fact, the only people who've ever cared for it were the original West family who built it and lived in it for a few years in the 20s and 30s. Even they moved out when old man West died in 1941, and it has sat vacant for most of the time since then.

NASA used it for a few years in the 70s as the home of the Lunar and Planetary Science Institute, but moved out because of the obvious problem of trying to fit the work of a scientific organization into a structure built as a home.

So what we have is a stunningly beautiful and palatial European style house that nobody wants. I hear that Hakeem Olajuwon wants 11 million dollars for the house and the 11 acres it sits on. Unfortunately nobody wants it at that price.

He wants to demolish the house and sell the property for whatever it will bring, but he can't because it's under deed restrictions that expire in 2012. So if no one buys the house and land before 2012, the West mansion will disappear and lord only knows what will take its place.

Don't bother appealing to Houston City Council, because it's not in Houston. It's in Pasadena, and Pasadena City Council couldn't care less.

I had been speaking to tmariar briefly of ideas to help. Now that I am back I can focus.

Get me some blank spaced out layered forms for signatures and I will get down and get plenty of sig's. You would be surprised how "willing" some can be after a few cold ones. :) Whatever it takes!

Something simple like this (minus the martini)

Petition-Stylo-2-2.jpg

I had been speaking to tmariar briefly of ideas to help. Now that I am back I can focus. Get me some blank spaced out layered forms for signatures and I will get down and get plenty of sig's. You would be surprised how "willing" some can be after a few cold ones. :) Whatever it takes! Something simple like this (minus the martini)

I salute your willingness and eagerness to do something, but I'm afraid we are nearing the end of the line for the West mansion. No one has actually lived in it for more than 60 years now, and nobody -- NOBODY -- is showing the slightest interest in buying it from Hakeem Olajuwon. Not at his asking price anyway. I don't think petitions are likely to strike a spark of interest where none has been seen before.

But I've been wrong before. I hope I'm wrong about this, but I've been around long enough to know that pessimists are rarely disappointed.

At the same time, my hat is off to the three Bay Area ladies who're working tirelessly through their 501c3 Preserved in Time Foundation to raise the money to buy the house. Who knows? They might succeed, and I'll be the first to admit my pessimism was wrong.

Edited by FilioScotia

All - For anyone interested in helping to gather signatures for the online petition using a hard-copy version, I've prepared one. If you PM me, I will send it to you.

Vertigo - I sent you an email.

FilioScotia - You mentioned that the mansion hasn't been used as a residence in decades. Supposedly, in his will, Jim West stipulated that the house could not be used as a private residence again - I'm sure there's a story there, though it may be something as simple as his wanting it to be used for public purposes. It hasn't been sitting empty all this time, though - it has been used by Rice University, by NASA, and for charity events. It still has many useful purposes, though no doubt is in need of some restoration.

The reason I think that saving the mansion may not be a lost cause is that it is owned by Hakeen Olajuwon, who has cooperated to some extent with local preservationist with regard to at least one other building. Also, while the mansion is technically held by a company owned by Olajuwon, I think it's a private company. In the case of the River Oaks Theatre, Weingarten has the argument that it is obligated to act in the interest of its shareholders in determining the future of the property. Olajuwon wouldn't have the same argument. Plus, I think he could sell to a buyer willing to preserve the mansion without taking much if any loss on the property - there has been at least one deal already that almost went through that called for the preservation of the mansion. To the extent a non-profit organization like Preserved in Time is interested in buying the house, I believe the thinking is that it might be possible to fund a large chunk of the cost via grants (though they would also have to raise a significant amount of money).

Edited by tmariar

post-4350-1221841913_thumb.jpg

This is of more immediate concern. Post-Ike damage looks like missing roof tiles and a broken window.

There is a Blue Roof program going on down here, but I don't have the creds to have them save the roof.

Any suggestions?

post-4350-1221841913_thumb.jpg

This is of more immediate concern. Post-Ike damage looks like missing roof tiles and a broken window.

There is a Blue Roof program going on down here, but I don't have the creds to have them save the roof.

Any suggestions?

Blue Roof program can't help with Spanish tile roofs like that... :( Only roofs that aren't rigid are eligible, since the tarps will be nailed/stapled to the existing roof.

Blue Roof program can't help with Spanish tile roofs like that... :( Only roofs that aren't rigid are eligible, since the tarps will be nailed/stapled to the existing roof.

Right you are. They also exclude metal roofs for the same reason. Did the pic come out? Have a new browser that is squirrely.

Doesn't the house already have missing tiles? It's a miricle that the house didn't sustain any more damage. Do you all think it'd hurt if I downloaded my copies of the blue prints on here?

Also, I hope this isn't a silly question. Would it be okay if I could get some people here in Fort Worth to sign the peteition?

Also, I hope this isn't a silly question. Would it be okay if I could get some people here in Fort Worth to sign the peteition?

Sorry I haven't been checking this thread - still don't have power.

Would be great if folks outside Houston wanted to sign. Thanks!

Fund Raiser to benefit the Jim West Mansion

This was a very nice event. The organizers did a great job.

The Irvin House (1927 - Joseph Finger) has been beautifully maintained. I hadn't been to Morgan's Point in years - or to LaPorte. for that matter. I've got to plan a trip during the day to get a better look at the Sterling Mansion and LaPorte's Main Street.

A number of talented people have gotten involved in the West Mansion preservation efforts. The updates were all positive, but Preserved in Time still has a long way to go to raise the money it needs, and needs all the help it can get.

Edited by tmariar

This is a particularly painful exercise for me as Hakeem Olajuwon is involved and apparently

on the wrong end of the issue.

I always had a lot of respect for Hakeem both as an athlete and a person with high

ideals and sound ethics.

Meanwhile, I've signed the petition.

Edited by fortbendtomontrose

Thanks!

Though, the house hasn't been torn down yet, and Hakeem has cooperated with GHPA to some extent on other issues in the past - so I wouldn't assume just yet that he won't make some concession to the historical significance of this building. Even if it's just not charging a non-profit as much as he would a commercial venture for the purchase of the building.

Thanks!

Though, the house hasn't been torn down yet, and Hakeem has cooperated with GHPA to some extent on other issues in the past - so I wouldn't assume just yet that he won't make some concession to the historical significance of this building. Even if it's just not charging a non-profit as much as he would a commercial venture for the purchase of the building.

This needs more publicity to push it over the edge. I signed it, though.

I had forgotten, but a couple weeks ago I heard about an architectural firm making plans for a renovation and trying to stick to the original plans as much as possible. I know I don't have many details, and the actual project may not happen, but there is some activity in the planning of a restoration, even if it doesn't make it past the planning stage..

I don't know if my opinion would count as I left Houston in 1959, but grew up there from 1936-1959. As a Girl Scout in Harris County I would spent at least one or two weeks at Camp Tejas Girl Scout camp next door to the Jim West Masion. At that time the scouts had permission to use the swimming pool at the Masion. I remember peeking throught the windows of the deserted mansion and wishing with all my heart I could live there someday. We scouts loved the beautiful old home, and hated to see it not being cared for in the 40's. It would be such a shame to tear down this wonderful old place representing the great past.

The boys orphanage was across the inlet from the Girl Scout camp. As Scouts we rowed on Clear Lake when it was CLEAR and clean. My great aunt taught Webster HS teaching English and Latin, she produced Shakespearian plays for several years in that school. So many wonderful memories of days gone by.

• Like 1

I don't know if my opinion would count as I left Houston in 1959, but grew up there from 1936-1959. As a Girl Scout in Harris County I would spent at least one or two weeks at Camp Tejas Girl Scout camp next door to the Jim West Masion. At that time the scouts had permission to use the swimming pool at the Masion. I remember peeking throught the windows of the deserted mansion and wishing with all my heart I could live there someday. We scouts loved the beautiful old home, and hated to see it not being cared for in the 40's. It would be such a shame to tear down this wonderful old place representing the great past.

The boys orphanage was across the inlet from the Girl Scout camp. As Scouts we rowed on Clear Lake when it was CLEAR and clean. My great aunt taught Webster HS teaching English and Latin, she produced Shakespearian plays for several years in that school. So many wonderful memories of days gone by.

Thanks so much for posting your memories of the mansion and the area, Sue! I know from having grown up in Clear Lake in the 70's and 80's that not many people knew much of its history in the period you lived there. I would love to hear more. If you ever have time to share some stories in the Coastal Prairie or Historic Houston sub-forums, I bet others would be interested as well. I know that not many people remember the orphanage, for example, though I think there is an historical marker at the location.

Oh! Sue O, I attended Camp Tejas in about 1947 and somewhere here in a much earlier post I described exactly what you just did! We loved tramping over and peering into the depths of the mansion. I guess we were all enamored. Rowing on the lake, the separate wood cabins throughout the woods, making way through the "wilderness" to get to bathroom building in middle of night. I was only 6 at the time but loved it. Do you recall the pool decorations? Mosaic tile colors, perhaps of acquatic creatures? I cannot remember, just know it had some embellishment, not just plain vanilla.

Anyway the interior of the house looked like the occupants just up and left without moving their things and never came back, which I now understand is what the widow did.

I saw some activity going on at the West Mansion last weekend (a big dumpster on the east side of the main house and several workers with a few pickup trucks). There was also a Lull (a brand name of a large fork lift that is used to lift things like construction materials to an upper floor).

I've been out of town this week but will be heading down to the area this afternoon. Does anyone know what is happening there now?

I saw some activity going on at the West Mansion last weekend (a big dumpster on the east side of the main house and several workers with a few pickup trucks). There was also a Lull (a brand name of a large fork lift that is used to lift things like construction materials to an upper floor).

I've been out of town this week but will be heading down to the area this afternoon. Does anyone know what is happening there now?

From Swamplot: "Hakeem Olajuwon's Dream for the Jim West Mansion: Flagship Clothing and Furniture Store?"

About 18 years ago, before it became the UTMB Open Gates Conference Center, an architect friend of mine oversaw a project on the Sealy Mansion in Galveston that was basically a stabilization of the existing structure - fixing leaks, repointing mortar, etc. - to stop deteriorization of the building. Fortunately the Medical Branch was able to realize its completed project shortly thereafter.

I can only hope some sort of stabilization is going on at the West Mansion until a viable adaptive use for the building can come about. Some of the things mentioned in the Swamplot article are simply ridiculous, especially the suggestion that the exisiting structure would be used for a high-end clothing or furniture store.

I like the idea of a reception and meeting place. In my estimation the main rooms seem large enough and the grounds extensive enough that all sorts of events could be held there. Even events held under canopies on the grounds are possible for a good part of the year (and have been held before) because the lake allows breezes that more "inland" places do not. I live in the 77586 zip code (Seabrook) and my family has often had picnic dinners at the county park on NASA Road 1 and at Sylvan Beach Park even as late as June where we were perfectly comfortable.

I have a daughter who may (I say MAY) be getting married in a few years and having the reception for that event at the West Mansion would be ideal. Perhaps the present owner should sell the property (sorry I can't afford it) and use the money to open his couture boutique some place where it might stand better than a snowball's chance on a July day in Houston like Highland Village. Or was that whole Swamplot article jumping the April 1st date just a bit?

Edited by Specwriter

Update: Since last April the exterior stucco has been "painted." It also appears as if something has been applied to the tile roof. Additionally, it looks like the parking area has had a coating applied (not resurfaced though). Just yesterday I drove by at about 2:00 pm and saw several large piles of sand around the yard. There were also a couple of men up near NASA Road 1 who looked like they were repairing the low stone fence near the corner of the property. A later drive-by at 6:00 indicated they hadn't done much. If anyone has an idea what is going on at the West mansion it would be nice to know.

I just cursorily read Jim West's bio, so I don't know very much about him, but it seems to confirm something that has fascinated me: how in the past someone who was probably perceived as an uneducated, "country-bumpkin"-type (I do realize that at the time, our population was rural, and the term would have applied to most of us) could use his fortune to build an outlandish huge house that was yet tasteful and beautiful and high-quality. To my eyes, at least.

Something has definitely changed with regard to the nouveau-riche. It's as though they're not being well-served. Someone should Save them.

The reason for my post, though, is my " 'satiable curtiosity" for all things Texas and gossip-y. The Save the Jim West Mansion website alluded to his family having vacated the mansion at his death "per the wishes in his will." Was this part of the terms, a life estate or something, of the earlier sale of the land to Humble Oil? It didn't say that, but instead made it sound like he wanted the property to sit vacant, with its contents pointlessly intact. He doesn't otherwise come off as an eccentric.

I love that it housed the Lunar Science Institute. It gives the place a Bletchley Park vibe, making it even cooler. There's probably moondust mixed in with all the other dust.

I just cursorily read Jim West's bio, so I don't know very much about him, but it seems to confirm something that has fascinated me: how in the past someone who was probably perceived as an uneducated, "country-bumpkin"-type could use his fortune to build an outlandish huge house that was yet tasteful and beautiful and high-quality. Something has definitely changed with regard to the nouveau-riche. It's as though they're not being well-served.

He doesn't otherwise come off as an eccentric.

Bumpkin or not he did study law at the University of Texas. The fortune was made by his father but he certainly knew how to use it for his own enjoyment.

Wealthy, eccentric Texans are practially commonplace. Wikipedia (that unimpeachable source :-) states that "he (West, Jr.) was nicknamed "Silver Dollar Jim", because he would throw these coins toward passersby on the street. He was also called 'Diamond Jim' because of the diamond-studded Texas Ranger badge he wore. He was known to chase criminals right behind the police. West kept a fleet of thirty cars, mostly Cadillacs in or around downtown Houston, which were equipped with an arsenal of 30-35 guns. He became an iconic fixture at Galveston casinos such as the Balinese Room. He is considered to be an archetype for the eccentric Texas oilman."

Perhaps we should start a new thread: Rich, eccentric Texans. I'll begin with Glenn McCarthy, H. L. Hunt, and James Marion "Silver Dollar Jim" West, Jr.

Edited by Specwriter

how, in the past, someone who was probably perceived as an uneducated, "country-bumpkin"-type (I do realize that at the time, our population was rural, and the term would have applied to most of us) could use his fortune to build an outlandish huge house that was yet tasteful and beautiful and high-quality. To my eyes, at least.

Something has definitely changed with regard to the nouveau-riche. It's as though they're not being well-served.

I forgot to comment on this in my earlier post: Amen. What has happened? I wish I had the answer. Just understand the $2,000,000 mansion of today does not equate to the $200,000, or even $100,000 mansion of 80 years ago. Money went a lot further then especially during the depression when many top-notch architects and craftsmen were really hurting for work.

Perhaps the nouveau-riche of today are much more nouveau than their predecessors.

http://www.tshaonlin.../articles/fwe33

I don't doubt anything that you say, but the Handbook of Texas bio makes no mention of law school nor of the "junior" - says he's the son of Silas West of Mississippi. I've read elsewhere that he sold patent medicines after his day's work in the sawmill was done. He sounds self-made. I may be confusing father and son and grandson.

http://www.tshaonlin.../articles/fwe33

I don't doubt anything that you say, but the Handbook of Texas bio makes no mention of law school nor of the "junior" - says he's the son of Silas West of Mississippi. I've read elsewhere that he sold patent medicines after his day's work in the sawmill was done. He sounds self-made. I may be confusing father and son and grandson.

The TSHA site is talking about West Sr. who lived from 1871 until 1941. Silver Dollar Jim West was his son who lived from 1903 until 1957. The Wests moved to Houston in 1905. The mansion was built stating in 1929. It was designed by architect Joseph Finger who also was the architect for Houston's 1939 City Hall and the 1940 municipal airport terminal. I apologize for the confusion.

West Sr. eccentric? Maybe, maybe not. West Jr.? Definitely.

Bumpkin or not he did study law at the University of Texas. The fortune was made by his father but he certainly knew how to use it for his own enjoyment.

Wealthy, eccentric Texans are practially commonplace. Wikipedia (that unimpeachable source :-) states that "he (West, Jr.) was nicknamed "Silver Dollar Jim", because he would throw these coins toward passersby on the street. He was also called 'Diamond Jim' because of the diamond-studded Texas Ranger badge he wore. He was known to chase criminals right behind the police. West kept a fleet of thirty cars, mostly Cadillacs in or around downtown Houston, which were equipped with an arsenal of 30-35 guns. He became an iconic fixture at Galveston casinos such as the Balinese Room. He is considered to be an archetype for the eccentric Texas oilman."

Perhaps we should start a new thread: Rich, eccentric Texans. I'll begin with Glenn McCarthy, H. L. Hunt, and James Marion "Silver Dollar Jim" West, Jr.

Unfortunately, I think the wealthy eccentric Texans are a dying breed. Wish we still had a bunch running around - they kept things interesting.

Sure a lot of the stuff they built was gaudy, and financially unsound. But it's the sort of stuff you look back on later with fond remembrance.

Instead - all of our wealtlhy Texans seem to now be very sober-minded and concerned about hanging onto their fortunes instead of blowing it on some crazy-a$$ed building or project.

And the crazy ones we do have move elsewhere - so we don't even get any good scandals anymore. Like the Goodman heir in Florida that adopted his girlfriend. Or Ana Nicole Smith - they all went somewhere else to go bat-crazy.

Houston needs a few rich nut-jobs.

The money was so unfathomable that it upset the usual Buddenbrooks-type formula of: first generation builds the fortune; second generation consolidates; third generation squanders, or goes Bohemian. Often that first generation dove right into the squandering - it was too much to hoard - and yes, it was very entertaining.

My casual reading, though, is that the fortune that built the Jim West mansion was East Texas timber, the oil $$ was a later windfall from the mineral rights on that Clear Lake estate. So the world got "Silver Dollar" Jim Jr. and Humble got the big unmanageable house.

I doubt that "Silver Dollar" Jim ever looked like this:

553-giantcrude.jpg

And in most cases they still didn't burn through it: I have it on good report that it's old (by our standards) money, much though not all originally oil money, that still drives philanthropic giving in Texas, at least in the few areas I care about. So thanks, Big Rich.

We got a bit off-track for this thread but the exchange was interesting and fun. Back to my earlier question: Does anybody know what is going on with the West mansion? There has been an increasing amount (though still small) of activity there in the past several weeks.