Finger Furniture

musicman

I wonder what will become of 'salesman of the month, Sammy La Corte' ?

Did anyone else ever notice that on the back side of the marquis? It was up for at least a year. It was like my weird daily affirmation, driving to work each morning. Wherever you are, Sammy, peace!

Did anyone else ever notice that on the back side of the marquis? It was up for at least a year. It was like my weird daily affirmation, driving to work each morning. Wherever you are, Sammy, peace!

Apparently, Sammy LaCorte really is the shiznizzle, according to the Chronicle: A Life in Sales

"LaCorte, who was named the store's salesman of the decade in 2000, is nothing like the aggressive salesman stereotype."

Wow, another long-time Houston retailer disappears. I never thought of Fingers as a higher-end furniture store, but I certainly would have placed them in a category above Ashley. But I guess the Finger family has decided that they're better off as a franchisee of a national brand than as an independent furniture retailer carrying a variety of brands.

But I guess the Finger family has decided that they're better off as a franchisee of a national brand than as an independent furniture retailer carrying a variety of brands.

And you would be correct! It's a shame that the furniture bidness has become so commoditized, when just a generation ago we made some of the very best stuff here in the US.

The only furniture I buy now is used or antique. The quality is far better, it's cheaper, and it's keeping something else out of the landfill.

The only furniture I buy now is used or antique. The quality is far better, it's cheaper, and it's keeping something else out of the landfill.

i'm there with you.....i believe i heard the macy's warehouse is closing later this year as well. definitely leaves additional opportunites on east side.

i'm there with you.....i believe i heard the macy's warehouse is closing later this year as well. definitely leaves additional opportunites on east side.

I only hope that there are developers out there that recognize the value of this particular location, so close to a future Tier 1 university with an enrollment exceeding 35,000 and also a potential light rail terminus.

94441638wm0.png

So it's true that the Macy's warehouse is toast?

I believe UH has some ownership interest in some of the land on this side of the highway--- Anyone know?

Woah, let me back up and say that this is wishful thinking on my part. Musicman's rumor is only musicman's rumor.

Don't know about UH's landholdings here.

Woah, let me back up and say that this is wishful thinking on my part. Musicman's rumor is only musicman's rumor.

i know someone that works there and that's what she said. it was a surprise to me. maybe she just meant store. i will confirm.

Every piece of furniture in my house is from Fingers on the Gulf Frwy. I used to shop at Fingers with my mom and grandma in the 60's. Back then the bargain basement had great stuff. The last time I went I will admit that the basement had gone to crap. All in all I will hate to see it go. And I still miss Roberts commercials.."At Your Fingers." My parents knew him from the rodeo. Dad said he was a stand-up guy.

Every piece of furniture in my house is from Fingers on the Gulf Frwy. I used to shop at Fingers with my mom and grandma in the 60's. Back then the bargain basement had great stuff. The last time I went I will admit that the basement had gone to crap. All in all I will hate to see it go. And I still miss Roberts commercials.."At Your Fingers." My parents knew him from the rodeo. Dad said he was a stand-up guy.

Levitz and Finger's is the majority of what we had over the years. Both were very convenient so picking up was a cinch. Both used to make the best of quality materials and craftsmanship it seemed. Then particle board <_< came along in popularity and well the rest is history.

The jingle... "You'll Love it at Levitz"

He may have been a "stand up" guy in the civic community but from what a few of my female co-workers have told me, he would have prefered the ladies remember him from a slightly different position.

He may have been a "stand up" guy in the civic community but from what a few of my female co-workers have told me, he would have prefered the ladies remember him from a slightly different position.

"At your fingers" indeed.

Wow, I can't even imagine Finger's AND Macy's vanishing from the East End in such short order. If Macy's goes I wonder if HISD would make a move on any of the land to expand Austin, Cage, or Chrysalis.

"At your fingers" indeed.

Wow, I can't even imagine Finger's AND Macy's vanishing from the East End in such short order. If Macy's goes I wonder if HISD would make a move on any of the land to expand Austin, Cage, or Chrysalis.

We are straying a bit but the Eastwood Transit Center clearly needs to be expanded. Basically it may as well be officially named a Park N Ride from now on. Even better it should be relocated to where Fingers is. That whole area its presently in has been the site of numerous deadly accidents. To this day people still get confused and gop down the wrong ways and run those poorly designed lights. To this day you will still see serious wrecks there plus pedestrian accidents. Its bad news bears all a round.

We are straying a bit but the Eastwood Transit Center clearly needs to be expanded. Basically it may as well be officially named a Park N Ride from now on. Even better it should be relocated to where Fingers is. That whole area its presently in has been the site of numerous deadly accidents. To this day people still get confused and gop down the wrong ways and run those poorly designed lights. To this day you will still see serious wrecks there plus pedestrian accidents. Its bad news bears all a round.

You are right about that. I routinely see people going the wrong way on Ernestine and Lockwood. It's not the Fingers, though, it's the old Foley's warehouse by the transit stop.

You are right about that. I routinely see people going the wrong way on Ernestine and Lockwood. It's not the Fingers, though, it's the old Foley's warehouse by the transit stop.

Those streets are confusing. Straying a bit, is the old Foley's warehouse store that sits by the warehouse still open as the Macy's warehouse store? Good place to "treasure hunt". My life-size fiberglass carousel horse (once used in the kids clothing dept.) came from there.

Those streets are confusing. Straying a bit, is the old Foley's warehouse store that sits by the warehouse still open as the Macy's warehouse store? Good place to "treasure hunt". My life-size fiberglass carousel horse (once used in the kids clothing dept.) came from there.

I'm pretty sure the Warehouse Store is still open on the weekends.

• 2 weeks later...

It is still up on the back side of the sign! We went by there yesterday, and actually saw Sammy on the floor, still doing his part to live up to the designation as salesman of the decade.

The place was packed with bargain-hunters to the point where it was difficult to find a parking place. All of the memorabilia that was in the display cases in the sports museum has been removed already. The Buff Stadium home plate is still there, but who knows for how long. :(

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
From reading the posts it doesn't appear many like Ashley Furniture...what furniture store would you suggest in the area?

My wife and I spent the holidays looking for new furniture. We were really disappointed with what we saw at Ashley’s. Cheap crappy stuff for the most part. Ended up buying most of our stuff at Star Furniture. It’s a shame. We used to like Fingers.

• 1 month later...

Without a doubt Robert is rolling in his grave at his son Rodney and where he has taken Finger furniture - out of business.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6314342.html

There must be more story here then what the Chron is reporting, hopefully Rodney has at least a plan on a napkin stashed somewhere.

Scharpe St Guy

From reading the posts it doesn't appear many like Ashley Furniture...what furniture store would you suggest in the area?

Louis Shank's on Frondren sells quality furniture, but at a price $$

• The title was changed to Finger Furniture Changing Its Name To Ashley Furniture Homestores
  • The title was changed to Finger Furniture

Archived