For Norway, Houston is Oslo on the Bayou

roadrunner

so, does houston/[area] have the largest concentration of norweigans in the country?

sorry if i mispelled that..

From the article:

The number of Norwegians in the area is not large compared with other immigrant communities

There was a related article in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune a week or so ago mentioning how Norway wants to downgrade or close its consulate there and another location in favor of expanding in Houston and China. People are outraged, naturally.

But the article points out that while there are 850,000 people in Minnesota who are very proud of their Norwegian heritage, they're descendants and not actual Norwegians, so the resources have to go to help its actual citizens and not just people who put stickers on their cars and listen to A Prairie Home Companion.

• 2 weeks later...
There was a related article in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune a week or so ago mentioning how Norway wants to downgrade or close its consulate there and another location in favor of expanding in Houston and China. People are outraged, naturally.

But the article points out that while there are 850,000 people in Minnesota who are very proud of their Norwegian heritage, they're descendants and not actual Norwegians, so the resources have to go to help its actual citizens and not just people who put stickers on their cars and listen to A Prairie Home Companion.

Here's the article:

http://www.startribune.com/local/11606806.html

And it mentions that the Consulates General are in Houston, San Fran and New York...then questions "Houston?"

Like it's a surprise that H-town is an international city in the same league as those older burgs.

And the NY Times tries to put in a minor laugher about Houston being an actual major interest of Norway:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/20/us/20minneapolis.html

• 3 weeks later...

The Chronicle article is no longer available - did it mention a restaurant? With that many Norwegians seems like one could be supported.

Houston has a lot of restaurant diversity but we've always been lacking in Scandinavian cuisines; half my ancestry is Scandinavian and I'd love to be able to explore the cuisine at some place other than just Nielsen's and Ikea. Smorgasbord, julbord, game dishes, etc.

The Chronicle article is no longer available - did it mention a restaurant? With that many Norwegians seems like one could be supported.

Houston has a lot of restaurant diversity but we've always been lacking in Scandinavian cuisines; half my ancestry is Scandinavian and I'd love to be able to explore the cuisine at some place other than just Nielsen's and Ikea. Smorgasbord, julbord, game dishes, etc.

I don't remember any restaurants mentioned. You might try going to the consulate's web site and seeing where various groups it works with hold their activities. There might be a newsletter or something mentioning them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...

Archived