Pay-for-visa plan could revive Houston's Old Chinatown

musicman

Dan Nip's tried twice already. But this time he thinks he's figured out how to muster the development money to make Old Chinatown new again.

The answer may be in a little known federal program for wealthy foreign nationals who want to move to the U.S.

Maybe they'll invest in old Chinatown since it only requires half the investment ($500k instead of $1 million). That would be awesome, I'd love to see Houston have 2 Chinatowns - one urban and one suburban. I just noticed another restaurant in old Chinatown has recently closed, which is really sad. At least Thiem Hung Sandwich Shop is still around, but they've cut back their hours and that's not such a good sign.

Wow, when was this?

Does anyone really have faith in this area coming back as "Chinatown" anymore? I thought that whole area was "East Downtown" now. It's less Chinese than Midtown is Vietnamese.

I remember that plan. It was floated about a year ago. I think the city was going to fund it, but maybe not.

It was always sad to see the state of the downtown Chinatown. I would sometimes try to remember what it looked like in its heyday. Did it even have a heyday? You'd think we would have seen old pictures or post cards or something.

Is Jenny's Noodles still open?

It was always sad to see the state of the downtown Chinatown. I would sometimes try to remember what it looked like in its heyday. Did it even have a heyday? You'd think we would have seen old pictures or post cards or something.

I don't know if it was a "heyday", but back in the mid 80s it was much more popular. Kim Son was in that big barn-like building and it was often packed, especially late at night.

Can anyone tell me where Chinatown is/was? What streets make up the borders? I've never seen this place?

I think the corner of Chartres and St. Josheph Pkwy is the western most point. Not sure how far it extends anymore. There used to be a chinese grocery store and mall back in there that I love to shop at. Go to George R. Brown and cross 59, you'll be in old Chinatown.

I think the Chronicle ad is listed on this post somewhere. That article gives the boundries. By memory, I'm going to say east of 59, north of St. Joe Pkwy., Dowling on another side and I can't remember the other one.

Is Kim Son still open 24hrs?

It's closed.

One of my favorite restaurants was Yit Ing Ho on St. Chartres. (closed about 5 years ago). My family went for many years. I don't think it ever had a heyday, But I think it would be very difficult to ressurrect Old Chinatown.

Can anyone tell me where Chinatown is/was? What streets make up the borders? I've never seen this place?

The area borders U.S. 59 on the west, Preston Street on the north, St. Joseph Parkway on the south and Dowling on the east.

One of my favorite restaurants was Yit Ing Ho on St. Chartres. (closed about 5 years ago). My family went for many years. I don't think it ever had a heyday, But I think it would be very difficult to ressurrect Old Chinatown.

Mine too! My parents took me there since I was in a booster seat. It's strange that nothing appears to have been done with the location since it closed. It looks exactly the same as it did in the 90s, only bolted shut.

I'm really not sure I see the point of trying to revive that neighborhood to make it into a "Chinatown" again. There is already a perfectly fine Asian neighborhood on the west side. Cities just can't conjure up ethnic neighborhoods from scratch in order to be colorful. It's simply wasted effort for no good reason. It is perfectly natural for neighborhoods to change character over time.

I'm really not sure I see the point of trying to revive that neighborhood to make it into a "Chinatown" again. There is already a perfectly fine Asian neighborhood on the west side. Cities just can't conjure up ethnic neighborhoods from scratch in order to be colorful. It's simply wasted effort for no good reason. It is perfectly natural for neighborhoods to change character over time.

THANK YOU.

Next thing we know the city will be trying to pay wealthy Mexicans to come to Houston to make an official "Little Mexico".. :blink:

Archived