Spider identification

travelguy_73

They look angry, But I don't think they are poisonous. There are a million of them on our land in Corsicana (10xs more grasshoppers). Our neighbor said when he was little, he would let them crawl on his arm and let them bite him. He said they weren't poisonous...

That's an Argiope aurantia, which is fittingly called the Black and Yellow Garden Spider. They're all over the place here. They make absolutely beautiful webs, like other orb weavers, and they are completely non-poisonous spiders. Considering the amount of insects they eat (including wasps and mosquitos), they're quite pleasant to have around. :)

Their little cousins, who I think are absolutely adorable, can be found around here very often, too. If you think that little garden spider is interesting, you'd love the Gasteracantha cancriformis:

1807905839_45137c750f.jpg?v=1193838417

It's also called the Spiny-Backed Orb Weaver and looks like a little hermit crab. They're awesome. :)

That's an Argiope aurantia, which is fittingly called the Black and Yellow Garden Spider. They're all over the place here. They make absolutely beautiful webs, like other orb weavers, and they are completely non-poisonous spiders. Considering the amount of insects they eat (including wasps and mosquitos), they're quite pleasant to have around. :)

Their little cousins, who I think are absolutely adorable, can be found around here very often, too. If you think that little garden spider is interesting, you'd love the Gasteracantha cancriformis:

1807905839_45137c750f.jpg?v=1193838417

It's also called the Spiny-Backed Orb Weaver and looks like a little hermit crab. They're awesome. :)

Nice input sheeats.

They look angry, But I don't think they are poisonous. There are a million of them on our land in Corsicana (10xs more grasshoppers). Our neighbor said when he was little, he would let them crawl on his arm and let them bite him. He said they weren't poisonous...

Hmm... is your neighbor a... "special" person?

I think this is a St Andrew's Cross spider, but cannot be sure. I was about a foot away from it when it caught my eye...I jumped about 5 feet, LOL.

The only spiders I like are the very tiny ones that (I think) eat ants. Anything larger ...no way Jose.

Imagine walking into a giant web with one of these ugly bastardos lurking near your face...its happened to your's truly. It get nautious just thinking about it. Could just plotz!

The only spiders I like are the very tiny ones that (I think) eat ants. Anything larger ...no way Jose.

Imagine walking into a giant web with one of these ugly bastardos lurking near your face...its happened to your's truly. It get nautious just thinking about it. Could just plotz!

What's ugly about them? :(

Spiders are extremely beneficial creatures to have around. If you see these little guys in your garden, you should be quite happy to have their help in eliminating the mosquitos, wasps, flies, ants, etc. that would otherwise rule your backyard. They're quite harmless to you, of course! :)

If you want to really freak out, especially at night, grab a flashlight, and place it between your eyes pointing out.

Similar to deer, cats, and dogs, spiders eyes will twinkle a light right back at your when light hits them. When you look out into your lawn at night, don't be surprised to see 50+ spiders crawling around the grass. And no, it's not dew, go up to most and you will find a spider.

Works awesome with Wolf spiders, which are all over the place.

664px-Wolf-spider-central-texas.jpg

Jumping spiders are awesome. I used to have one as a kid near my bed and helped it "catch" food and kept it around for several months until my mom found out and screamed so loud my dad came running around the corner with a fight or flight expression on his face. I think I called it "spot."

Yeah, dad didn't let her live that down for years.

Archived