Downtown Restaurants

I know there are a lot of restaurants in DT, but which ones are actually open most of the time, good to eat, and not too expensive? I went driving around today and could not find a place to eat...

I've noticed the same - many are inconsistent on hours of operation...some that i like and have eaten at quite a bit:

1. St. Pete's Dancing Marlin at Main/Congress

2. Bai Thai Thong at 401 Louisiana (Hogg Palace)

3. Franki's Pizza on Travis between Preston and Prarie

4. Cabo's at corner of Travis and Prarie

That's a reasonable variety for you!

Treebeards i s an exceptional meal - no doubt.  I try to eat there once a week...

Though i'm unaware of their evening/wkd schecule - i'd presume the only one that would b e open would be the market square facing location on travis...the others must be closed eh?

speaking of Treebeard's i just saw the owners at Dot's @ Gulfgate. The only time they open in the evenings is closer to summer and i believe that is only on Thurs, Friday and perhaps Saturday. About the only time i can go is when i have jury duty.

Treebeard's is great, but you're right -- the hours are stupid.

My wife loved Frank's Pizza (formerly Frank's Bagels).

There's an Italian joint by the South Texas College of Law that's also very good and cheap. The name escapes me, though.

Treebeard's is great, but you're right -- the hours are stupid.

My wife loved Frank's Pizza (formerly Frank's Bagels).

There's an Italian joint by the South Texas College of Law that's also very good and cheap.  The name escapes me, though.

I think it's called Josephine's? It's on Caroline. Next to that there is some trendy looking bar that I gather is a sushi place?

Mia Bella is reasonably-priced italian food (one of my favorite restaurants).

Birraporetti's over by the theater district is also reasonably-priced italian food.

There's Hard Rock Cafe for standard American fare, and Sake Lounge for sushi (a little more expensive).

I think all of those places have standard hours.

Later in the night, some of the bars serve food... Slainte's, F2 (Frank's Pizza + burgers, etc.), Flying Saucer.

Hey, I like it, but it's still cafeteria food.

We go to the one in the church.

The one in Market Square is pretty yummy. I can not attest to the hours or anything on the menu other than Red Beans and Rice and Sausage. That is all I have ever gotten. I have eaten there probably 15 times for lunch and each time I get the same old thing (RD&R).

While you have to go through a cefeteria line I would not compare it to Luby's. The fare is completely different.

I've heard great things about Treebeard's over the years, but their weekday lunch only hours suck! I've never been able to eat there because I've never worked downtown and they aren't open on the weekends. Oh well. Maybe I can give it a try sometime in the next couple of weeks before I go back to work full time.

Sometimes I just don't get the restaurants downtown that still aren't open on weekends or in the evenings. Seems to me that they should at the very least give Friday and Saturday nights a try, or plan on opening when there are major events going on. There have been times when downtown was packed for a special event and half the restaurants that aren't in the tunnels were closed up tight. Seems like it would at least be worth opening on those occassions.

• 2 weeks later...

anyone been to kaveh kanes coffee place on prarie for breakfast/brunch? i stopped in last saturday while checking out the market square market and it looked promising. unfortunately i had already been to breakfast on the way downtown since i wasn't sure if anything was open that early, but the counter guy told me they were open until 1am so they must be doing something right. we bought lunch from the food vendor at the market because i wanted to support the venue, and met dave the guy who runs the show. hopefully more people will start checking it out because it was a ghost town and the place could really use some foot traffic. great weather, great live music and the food was much better than i expected. i would be interested to hear from anyone who frequents keveh kanes coffee because i was thinking of having breakfast there the next time i go to the market square thing.

deb martin

anyone been to kaveh kanes coffee place on prarie for breakfast/brunch?  i stopped in last saturday while checking out the market square market and it looked promising.  unfortunately i had already been to breakfast on the way downtown since i wasn't sure if anything was open that early, but the counter guy told me they were open until 1am so they must be doing something right.  we bought lunch from the food vendor at the market because i wanted to support the venue, and met dave the guy who runs the show.  hopefully more people will start checking it out because it was a ghost town and the place could really use some foot traffic.  great weather, great live music and the food was much better than i expected.  i would be interested to hear from anyone who frequents keveh kanes coffee because i was thinking of having breakfast there the next time i go to the market square thing.

deb martin

You know, it would be a shame if Market Square is a ghost town most of the time since that would give an indication that Houstonians prefer their cars over their feet. We all clamor about pedestrian friendly venues in downtown when those that already exist there are being ignored. Perhaps that is why the developers do not choose downtown for those kinds of projects no matter how much we complain. Perhaps they know better. Apparently, the imagination of most Houstonians doesn

I think the weather angle is overplayed by some (not you, 27, but others). The MarqE complex isn't completely enclosed either (has an atrium and and a covered midway that's only slight air conditioned), and it does fairly well, especially on weekends. I would imagine that if the Pavillions has a nice mix of retail, food and fun (as well as residential), it'll have at least as much of a draw on weekends. People in south and SE Houston as well as the neartown neighborhoods would be inclined to come into downtown since there would be more to do than go to an aquarium, shoot pool or get drunk.

anyone been to kaveh kanes coffee place on prarie for breakfast/brunch?  i stopped in last saturday while checking out the market square market and it looked promising.  unfortunately i had already been to breakfast on the way downtown since i wasn't sure if anything was open that early, but the counter guy told me they were open until 1am so they must be doing something right.  we bought lunch from the food vendor at the market because i wanted to support the venue, and met dave the guy who runs the show.  hopefully more people will start checking it out because it was a ghost town and the place could really use some foot traffic.  great weather, great live music and the food was much better than i expected.  i would be interested to hear from anyone who frequents keveh kanes coffee because i was thinking of having breakfast there the next time i go to the market square thing.

deb martin

I haven't been there for breakfast/brunch yet, but have stopped in many times for coffee in the afternoon/evening. I've always liked the place -- nice atmosphere, free wi-fi and wired Internet access, and good coffee. They do seem to be doing pretty well and have been around long enough now that I think it's a pretty stable operation.

I haven't checked out the Market Square thing on Saturdays yet. Will have to do that -- I kind of forget that it's going on most weekends.

• The title was changed to Downtown Restaurants

Archived