100 Billboards down, 700 to go

editor

Mayor Bill White Joins in Removal of 100th Billboard from Houston Neighborhoods

Mayor Bill White today joined neighborhood groups as the 100th billboard was taken down from Houston neighborhoods. This was part of an agreement reached earlier this year between the city and Clear Channel Outdoor to remove more than 800 billboard structures in neighborhoods and scenic districts throughout Houston.

After more than two years of negotiations, the City negotiated the agreement, with input from stakeholders and citizen-based groups like the Quality of Life Coalition and Scenic Houston, and passed an ordinance last April to remove the billboard structures by January 2009.

This is great news for Houston. Those billboards are a serious eyesore. They can't take them down soon enough.

I wonder what Clear Channel is getting from the City in return for agreeing to take them down

If I remember correctly, Clear Channel gets the right to put an equal number BACK UP in other areas of the city. I'm not kidding.

They are putting a new one up right around 59S @ Westwood Technology Center in the SteaKountry shopping center.

It's a large one, but as they take down old smaller ones, new ones are popping up along the freeways.

Anyone notice billboards gone in your areas? I cannot say that I have noticed any near Eastwood...then again, I'm pretty immune to them at this point.

They may as well remove the (former Coca-Cola somewhat former nabe icon) at Telephone/45. Its a dull plain boring matress co advertisement that is just bland and terrible. It was such a sparkling dazzling site to see as you went into downtown from 610/Gulfgate interchange.

They may as well remove the (former Coca-Cola somewhat former nabe icon) at Telephone/45. Its a dull plain boring matress co advertisement that is just bland and terrible. It was such a sparkling dazzling site to see as you went into downtown from 610/Gulfgate interchange.

They should tear down the one's across the street from that...they are literally facing downward...maybe cause it sits up high..but com'on....three billboards in row..wow.

• 4 weeks later...

Some billboards, once fallen, can't go back up

After a certain amount of damage, Houston ordinance says they can't be rebuilt or replaced

By MARY FLOOD

Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

Sept. 22, 2008, 10:41PM

Full story below:

http

://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/eas...s/6016755.html

Archived