Sugar Land Cultural Entertainment District

Fringe

200 mil? No problem for Sugar Land. By the way the Stafford Centre is a GREAT place for a concert if you have never seen it. And I agree that whatever Sugar Land has planed will have to compete with it.

I DON'T agree, based on the concerts I have been to, that the Toyota Center is worth a damn for concerts. Perhaps if your young and think mp3's at 128 kbps sound wonderful but I'm a little older and particular about my accoustics.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
200 mil? No problem for Sugar Land. By the way the Stafford Centre is a GREAT place for a concert if you have never seen it. And I agree that whatever Sugar Land has planed will have to compete with it.

I DON'T agree, based on the concerts I have been to, that the Toyota Center is worth a damn for concerts. Perhaps if your young and think mp3's at 128 kbps sound wonderful but I'm a little older and particular about my accoustics.

I agree. $200 million is nothing for a city of 79,000 people, and whose capital improvement budget for this year is $27 million.

Sugar Land Budget 2007-08

I can't wait to see your 15,000 seat arena come to fruition.

It's all good--the Cultural Entertainment District can still put on performances without the venue. I hear they have Clogging and Traditional Sugarland Craft Demonstrations planned for an outdoor show at the Town Centre next month.

Careful, Crunch. If you keep omitting the space you may be invited to Sugar Land Correct Thought Camp. Just remember the first line of the Sugar Land anthem:

"Sugar Land has a space in it!"

Careful, Crunch. If you keep omitting the space you may be invited to Sugar Land Correct Thought Camp. Just remember the first line of the Sugar Land anthem:

For real? I've from here and never had any idea it was two words. Sort of like capital The Woodlands.

Crap! I just said Sugarland and The Woodlands in the same sentence. That's gonna mean extra nights at Thought Camp, isn't it?

Are you sure? I just looked up the Sugarland national anthem and could not find it.

Zuckerland, Zuckerland

For real? I've from here and never had any idea it was two words. Sort of like capital The Woodlands.

Crap! I just said Sugarland and The Woodlands in the same sentence. That's gonna mean extra nights at Thought Camp, isn't it?

For the good of the people, I'll have to report this post.

Are you sure? I just looked up the Sugarland national anthem and could not find it.

Zuckerland, Zuckerland

For the good of the people, I'll have to report this post.

That's the old anthem. I've got too much diphenhydramine in me to make up the new one, but that made me laugh a lot.

I have to admit, I couldn't stop laughing as I redid the words. I was near tears when I translated "Zuckerland".

What are you talking about? 128 kbps? Everything at the Toyota Center is run digitally at a 96 khz sample rate, which is as good as it get's, and again, the acoustics are almost identicle to any hall of the same size, anywhere.

Are you the only person that's "older" that cares for good acoustics? I'm not so sure you know what your talking about here, especially in regards to the acoustics of a venue the size being discussed.

I challenge you to give 1 example of a major hall that has great acoustics. Just 1.

I'd settle for 7,000.

Now your backtracking... You intially wanted a hall that had MAJOR acts, and a 7,000 seat arena won't cut it.

As I said before, the Summit was WAY better then the Toyota Center.

Yes, I am regressing but only because I realize a 15,000 venue is not really feasible. But I won't give up hope.

Maybe I should start this thread over since it got hijacked and became just a slam session. :blink:

I have no idea what's in store for this "Entertainment District" but I am anxious to learn more about it.

why do you want a 15,000 seat concert hall? How many seats do you need?

Big acts can go to Toyota Center, Medium ones can go to Verizon Wireless Theater (seats 1500-2800) and smaller acts can go to the clubs. Seems like it's pretty well figured out here.

Perhaps you should petition Hoffheinz Pavilion to start booking shows again. That place seats about what you want and should offer acoustics similar to your benchmark, The Summit.

why do you want a 15,000 seat concert hall? How many seats do you need?

This whole thread has gotten completely ridiculous. There is no reason to believe that Sugarland is even considering a 15,000 seat hall and zero possibility that one will actually get built.

There's no need to build one anyway. There just aren't that many acts that are capable of selling out a major venue, even in a metro area as large as Houston and they are all booking in existing venues without a problem.

The opportunity is in booking the mid to small acts that currently bypass Houston because the city doesn't have a good reputation for supporting that type of gig. House of Blues is a great start in that way. A nice venue in Sugarland would help also.

I'd like to try to get this thread back to reality and try to get some detail on what is actually being considered.

Perhaps you should petition Hoffheinz Pavilion to start booking shows again. That place seats about what you want and should offer acoustics similar to your benchmark, The Summit.

I would love to see Hoffheinz Pavilion have concerts again. Saw some of my favorite concerts of all time there. I really don't know why they quit having concerts.

Actually, he's right. Sugar Land and the area surrounding is very culturally diverse. It's one of the most diverse, affluent areas in the nation. Maybe you should get out to Sugar Land Town Square more :)

I'll have to ask for a source on that. I visit Sugar Land Town Square about once a week and it doesn't look culturally diverse to me. I work in Sugar Land and it's much less diverse than where I live (The Westbury).

I'll have to ask for a source on that. I visit Sugar Land Town Square about once a week and it doesn't look culturally diverse to me. I work in Sugar Land and it's much less diverse than where I live (The Westbury).

People don't live at the mall. To see the diversity, you need to visit the local schools and neighborhoods. It's like the United Nations out where I live!

People don't live at the mall. To see the diversity, you need to visit the local schools and neighborhoods. It's like the United Nations out where I live!

http://www.city-data.com/city/Sugar-Land-Texas.html says:

White Non-Hispanic (60.8%)

Chinese (10.1%)

Hispanic (8.0%)

Asian Indian (6.8%)

Black (5.2%)

Two or more races (2.4%)

Other race (2.3%)

Other Asian (2.3%)

Vietnamese (2.0%)

Filipino (1.9%)

Korean (0.6%)

American Indian (0.5%)

While the same site says this about Houston:

Hispanic (37.4%)

White Non-Hispanic (30.8%)

Black (25.3%)

Other race (16.5%)

Two or more races (3.1%)

Vietnamese (1.7%)

Chinese (1.2%)

Asian Indian (1.0%)

American Indian (0.8%)

Other Asian (0.6%)

Sugar Land has almost twice as many white non-hispanics as Houston. How can it be one of the most culturally diverse areas in the nation?

http://www.city-data.com/city/Sugar-Land-Texas.html says:

White Non-Hispanic (60.8%)

Chinese (10.1%)

Hispanic (8.0%)

Asian Indian (6.8%)

Black (5.2%)

Two or more races (2.4%)

Other race (2.3%)

Other Asian (2.3%)

Vietnamese (2.0%)

Filipino (1.9%)

Korean (0.6%)

American Indian (0.5%)

While the same site says this about Houston:

Hispanic (37.4%)

White Non-Hispanic (30.8%)

Black (25.3%)

Other race (16.5%)

Two or more races (3.1%)

Vietnamese (1.7%)

Chinese (1.2%)

Asian Indian (1.0%)

American Indian (0.8%)

Other Asian (0.6%)

Sugar Land has almost twice as many white non-hispanics as Houston. How can it be one of the most culturally diverse areas in the nation?

Compare it to other affluent enclaves around the nation and you'll see what I mean. Also, if you look at the 5 mile marketing area around SLTS, you'll see even more diversity. BTW, not all of Houston is affluent, that was the point.

Compare it to other affluent enclaves around the nation and you'll see what I mean. Also, if you look at the 5 mile marketing area around SLTS, you'll see even more diversity. BTW, not all of Houston is affluent, that was the point.

What does affluence have to do with this? LunaticFringe said "SL is the most culturaly diverse community in the United States", not "SL is the most culturaly diverse affluent encleve in the United States". Sugar Land isn't the most culturally diverse community in the US. It isn't even close.

What does affluence have to do with this? LunaticFringe said "SL is the most culturaly diverse community in the United States", not "SL is the most culturaly diverse affluent encleve in the United States". Sugar Land isn't the most culturally diverse community in the US. It isn't even close.

Geez, this is difficult. Look at my posts, I mention affluent. That's what I'm discussing. I'm not arguing LunaticFringe's exact point, I'm arguing my own.

I made that statement based on an article I read in the newspaper a couple of years ago that said my kid's high school (Kempner) was the most culturally diverse public high school in the United States. That kind of tells me we live in a very diverse community. I didn't bother to delve into census figures and the likes. Did not know everything I said was going to be scrutinized so heavily. I will try to locate the article and post it if I'm able.

Archived