Dallas Tops Crime Rate Again

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Ha! Dallas, IMO, seems to have lost its way. They don't seem to have a concrete plan for growth anymore. The areas they used to be so proud of (Deep Ellum, Lower Greenville, etc) are languishing and crime has become a daily fact of life.

^^^ I disagree. There are numerous visionary plans on tap in Dallas as well as quite a few in the 'burbs. No different than here. They, like us, however, have some unique challenges aside from urban renewal to address, including schools, air pollution (Fort Worth and Arlington are really starting to struggle with air quality now) and so forth.

I like the Calatrava (sp?) bridges proposed for the Trinity crossings. Victory looks like the first real bet to merge the northern 'hoods with downtown and the Arts District is coming along nicely.

So I don't think Dallas is losing its way, at least not in terms of urban renewal projects.

Lower Greenville isn't as bad about crime as is painted in ths forum. Deep Ellum, however is bad. It's been overrun with hip hop gangsta's and they've destroyed one of Dallas' best destinations. They're now preying on tourist who have head that Deep Ellum is a great/fun place.... Locals have known not to go there for a while.

Every gripes about Dallas being divided North vs. South, but crime is the main reason it's that way. People in the northern areas don't want the crime that is typical of the southern areas to suddenly pop up in their part of the city. That is what has happened in Deep Ellum. Drug Dealers and gang bangers have taken over Deep Ellum. They're working on the problem, but the gangs out number the cops 5 to 1 probably.... I think Deep Ellum is going to have to basically die and be reborn again so that even the gang members lose interest in the area and then Deep Ellum will have a chance to be reborn in a few years.

The problem is, Dallas is treating the symptom (putting more cops in Deep Ellum) instead of going after the cause - criminals that are living in the Southern half of the city and entertaining themselve in Deep Ellum.

You also have to re-read the crime statistic here... Dallas has the highest Crime rate of the 9 largest cities - not of ALL cities... There were only 9 cities included in that comparision. Who knows where Dallas ranks when you put all cities into the mix. But, regardless, if NYC and Detroit can turn around their crime stats, then Dallas can too.... It wasn't that many years ago that Fort Worth had the highest crime rate among big cities... Houston has held that honor before as well.... although, I think it's been a long time.... LA has had that title... Chicago... most of the large cities have had high crime rates at one point or another.... If and WHEN Dallas gets on the ball and turns it around, another city will take Dallas' place as the city known for crime at that point in time.... It's just a cylce that all big cities go through.

LOL... for once I agree with you Midtowncoog. LOL South Dallas is horrible. I don't know what the solution is. But, I think one of the problems is that the city council members who represent that part of the city are not exactly representing that sector of the city well. There is one in particular - who is not a city council member anymore, I don't believe - who did nothing but raise HEL* all the time - even picketing and getting lots of TV time. He did a lot of complaining about how the city was racest and how "The Man" was keeping THEM down... all the while he's driving around town in a new Ferrarri.... He was on the city council to basically cause problems and get paid. He became known for targeting white businesses - and white individuals - and picketing them with bull horns in front of their businesses and even their homes..... He was arrested a couple times, I think... (but don't quote me on that). Anyway, it got so bad and became such a joke that a local radio station staged a prank where they sent a member of their show to picket the city councilman's house... That too made the local news... That is a prime example of what's wrong in Dallas. You have members of the communities in the southern half of the city who are blowing their horns - literally - and getting elected to the city council based on the fact that they're of the right race and have fooled their communities into believing that they're going to get on the coucil and shake things up and bring some good to the community. Meanwhile, instead of actually DOING something for their community they grab a bull horn, make the local news, and get re-elected over and over... At the same time, that kind of behavior fuels a backlash among other city council members and other areas of the city that have grown to disrespect the areas represented by these types of city council members. But, instead of the community represented by said individual recognizing the fault of their city councilman, they cry "racist" and re-elect the same guys over and over again. It's gotten a little better in the last couple years.... But, when your city council is being compared to the Jerry Springer show in local magazines (Fort Worth, Texas Magazine - Sept 2002) you know you've hit rock bottom.

This is also the real reason that the Strong Mayor proposal was put on the ballot in the first place - to remove the city manager/city council form of government in Dallas and empower the mayor to make some actual decisions. Furthermore, it would have empowered the mayor to hire/fire whomever was/wasn't doing their jobs properly. Basically, the reason the strong mayor campain failed wasn't because of the "racist" claims that were made against it - you have to remember that Dallas' last mayor was a black man. The REAL reason that the Strong Mayor effort failed was because the City Council members realized they'd all be out of jobs and would be held accountable by the mayor, not the people in their districts who elect them.... The failure of the Strong Mayor proposal was the worst thing that could have happened in Dallas in recent years. Had it passed, IMHO, it would have turned things around in Dallas. Oh Well.....

One good thing about Houston is that we have our crappy stuff mixed in with the good stuff.

I'd hate to have an entire zone of crappy stuff like South Dallas.

And I actually like everthing south of Love Field. It just feels "real" IMHO.

Addision! Plano et. al are far too organized for my liking.

It's odd, re: South Dallas because in western Dallas (between I-30 and Irving Blvd, in particular--think Settegast or Sunnyside here in Houston for comparison), there are some struggling communities as well but I don't think crime is nearly the problem it is in South Dallas. It seems the demographics are somewhat the same, as far as economics go.

Is it a matter of DPD having a mindset of throwing in the towel, like how LAPD has thrown in the towel concerning some notoriously dangerous neighborhoods in eastern Los Angeles (this was essentially a quote from a LAPD officer during an NBC Dateline segment I saw late last year)?

I'm not sure if a Cotton Bowl/State Fair renovation would work in terms of curing the area but who knows.

The Cottom Bowl is going through improvements... Fair Park has been restored in the last couple years... It hasn't helped so far.... Deep Ellum is within walking distance of Fair Park and those renovations have done nothing to help the crime in the area. In fact, Deep Ellum is getting worse, not better.

I think the DPD is limited in it's abilities to contain the crime in South Dallas... It's a numbers thing. There just aren't enough cops. And, recently there have been stories about how the Dallas Police Squad car fleet has been aging and they city is having to spend money on replacing literally hundreds of aging squad cars. So, the cops are limited right now in their ability to fight crime all over the city, but it's felt the most in the southern half of the city where it is most needed.

On a side note - the Hell's Angels have set their sites on the crime problems in Dallas.... There was a recent new story on the fact that the Dallas Crime has caught the attention of the Hell's Angels. I'm normally not in favor of vigilanty crime fighting, but in this case.... I say go for it. I wish the community in South Dallas would start some sort of self-policing to help with the problems. The community is going to HAVE to get involved and start taking some responsibility for what's going on there. You can't tell me that they can't call in with tips on drug dealers and criminal activity. Years ago, a drug dealer moved into a rental property across the street from my sister, bro-in-law and young nephew... My dad called the police and gave them an anonymous tip... The police raided the place and they were gone for good. Why can't those sort of things take place in communities like South Dallas?

Is it a matter of DPD having a mindset of throwing in the towel, like how LAPD has thrown in the towel concerning some notoriously dangerous neighborhoods in eastern Los Angeles (this was essentially a quote from a LAPD officer during an NBC Dateline segment I saw late last year)?

Can you really blame them? There are some areas in every major city where the people have completely abandoned civility. No matter what the police may do, its only a situation of arresting the greater of two evils at each call.

Why should we allow our police officers to get hurt for people that just don't care??

Can you really blame them? There are some areas in every major city where the people have completely abandoned civility. No matter what the police may do, its only a situation of arresting the greater of two evils at each call.

Why should we allow our police officers to get hurt for people that just don't care??

Uhmm...because it is their job?

I used to live in a loft across from Fair Park right when it went from edgy-artsy to edgy-dangerous. The windows of all of the office below my loft (two blocks of buildings) were all shot out one night, the police didn't do anything except submit a report.

The DPD has had NUMEROUS problems in the past (i.e. paying informants who made up drug charges to get money... taking baking powder as evidence and saying it was coke...) and in my experience is more corrupt than Lee Brown. ;-) They did what they wanted and told everyone else to screw off

(i.e. they couldn't park on the street in front of the restaurant downstairs so they'd pull their cars up on the sidewalk, sometimes four and five cars blocking pedestrians. we pulled up there once when we were moving out and they threatened to have us towed. when we questioned why they could park there and we couldn't, they took our IDs and ran criminal checks on us and told us to watch our step and move the car.)

If the DPD treats the residents of South Dallas the same as they did us, I doubt they get much respect... which honestly, some of them don't deserve.

I think with a little hard work and determination, Houston can regain the top spot again!

Were we ever at the top spot?

We are fifth right now.

1 Dallas 8959.7

2 Detroit 7903.7

3 Phoenix 7402.3

4 San Antonio 7346.8

5 Houston 7194.8

6 Las Vegas 5838.0

7 Philadelphia 5470.5

8 Los Angeles 4376.0

9 San Diego 4102.7

10 New York 2801.6

Heh @ safe clear.

Those are the rates and rankings for the 10 largest cities (although, I have no clue why Las Vega$ is included when it's not one of the 10 largest--Chicago is absent because they report crime differently).

When taking into consideration cities with populations of 100,000 or more, the last ranking I saw had Dallas in the 20s and Houston in the 60s. Of course, this was out of, I believe, 250 or so cities. Austin and San Antonio were much lower, like int the upper 100s. Fort Worth was average at around 120, IIRC.

That list started with an irate Dallas resident trying to shame city government into doing something about the problem. Dallas has led that list all 7 years he has done it. Apparently, it has now gone nationwide.

Most experts (plus me) don't give this type of ranking much weight, because theft offenses account for the overwhelming majority of the number, and while annoying, theft is not violent.

Unfortunately, while trying to make the point that Dallas isn't that violent, I found that it was 2nd in the nation in murder per 100,000 in 2004, and murder is apparently up 25% through May this year. In fact, Dallas had almost the same number of murders as Houston in 2004, with only 60% of the population.

I hope city leaders can quit arguing long enough to do something about it.

EDIT: Here's his link.

http://www.dallascrime.com/pages/863921/pa...h=1119800316330

Archived