What's Between The Bayou And I-10

it's an awesome little area, full of old buildings, Dakota Lofts, and a strip of newish townhomes. Because of the lofts and townhomes, it probably has a surprising number of residents for such a small urban pocket.

I for one love the area, it's quite charming. I've got a friend living in Dakota Lofts which is basically an art gallery, and it has a deck on the south side of the building which has a great view of downtown. There are also artist lofts a plenty, artist galleries, Sterret Street studios (band rehearsal rooms), Last Concert Cafe (not bad mexican food & bands), Houston studio's (residential with one of the old HPD jail cells on the 3rd floor). HS also has an attached band rehearsal warehouse that many national acts use to brush up before shows at TC. Last time I was down there Kiss was rehearsing and we actually went in, and they had us sit on the floor while they jammed. It was a lot of fun.

That area is where we took our engagement photo's. So many cool buildings to use as backdrops.

Yeah, I have seen many shoots in the area ranging from music videos, to weddings, to modeling. Kings X also has done a number of promotional shoots in the area, including the back cover of "Gretchen Goes to Nebraska" which was shot on a red, blue and yellow couch which sits outside one of the artist studios.

I used to live at Dakota Lofts. The area is pretty quiet, except for the freight trains. It's very artsy. A lot of the loft buildings have older (50-70's) artists who can afford their own spaces combined with 20-somethings artist wannabes from the sticks still living off of daddy's money. For the most part everyone gets along, but there were problems with car vandalism at the time I lived there (2001-2003).

A lot of the downtown companies like to have big fancy tuxedo and evening gown parties in the lobby. Sometimes I'd snag an hors d'ouvre while wheeling my laundry cart through the crowd.

I can't speak for the other buildings there, but Dakota is waaaaaaay overpriced for what you get. And if you do choose to live there, you'd better love high electric bills, listening to your neighbors, and lots of roaches. The maintenance guy was stretched too thin. He had to take care of Dakota in the morning and the Randall Davis property over on West Dallas in the afternoons. There's plenty enough work at Dakota alone to keep him busy all day.

• The title was changed to What's Between The Bayou And I-10?
  • The title was changed to What's Between The Bayou And I-10

Archived