Best Italian Restaurant?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Professional Hornblower
i like fred's italian corner on holcombe near rice. small family place, watch out for the hours.

Good call. Fred's is fan-ta-bu-lous. About $6 for lunch. Typically I get like a sausage/parmiagian sanwich, and it comes with chips, a soda, and a salad. It really is DELICIOUS and for the money...well you can't beat it. Family place so the people actually give a shyt about your feelings. If you have a boog on your fork, Mama will come out and personally wash it for you.

Con: The interior is pretty drab. Crappy ceiling tiles. Interesting photo's on the wall however.

Go here during lunch and you'll see a mix of scrubbed-out med center Yuppies, old retired folks from the neighborhood, and 2 or 3 homeless guys looking for free bread. OK, I'm kidding about that... there are no scrubbed-out people there.

:rolleyes:

Seriously, EAT THERE YOU'LL THANK ME LATER WITH MONEY IF YOU'RE A DUDE OR YOUR MOUTH IF YOU'RE A CHICK.

• 3 weeks later...
Absolutely. Can't believe I forgot Patrenella's. They are great. No pretense, just great food. They nearly ruined this appeal with the failed attempt downtown a few years ago, though. I'm glad the West End location wasn't affected.

As for Mia Bella -- it's a great, great place, too. The food is less authentic Italian and more Mediterranean-inspired Italian...if that makes sense. Mia Bella is like something you'd find in North Beach, SF. The menu is ecclectic, the ambiance is Victorian-era deli-counter and the service is white-linen, performed by tatooed hipsters. A cool mix that's suprisingly affordable.

The menu is more traditional Italian down the street at Cava Bistro, which is run by the same people, I believe.

Patrenella's on Jackson Hill is not connected or related to any of the Petrenella Brothers restaurants that were opened downtown, Southshore Harbour, and Galveston. Just for your own information.

Patrenella's on Jackson Hill is not connected or related to any of the Petrenella Brothers restaurants that were opened downtown, Southshore Harbour, and Galveston.  Just for your own information.

Thank you. I suppose I should have noticed the spelling. I think I let my enthusiasm for Patrenella's get the best of me in hoping for good things from Petrenella's.

Patrenella's on Jackson Hill is not connected or related to any of the Petrenella Brothers restaurants that were opened downtown, Southshore Harbour, and Galveston.  Just for your own information.

Yeah, I had since come into this information but forgot to update my post. Thanks for the heads up.

• 2 weeks later...

For your own information...that guy blowing his horn on Westheimer and Voss isn't related to me.

I don't know who he is, but he can't hold a candle to me. Once day I got out of my Mercedes Benz SLK and challenged him to a horn-off duel. We played "Every Breath you Take" by Sting, on the horn. I know, I know, it was his choice. Anyway, I whooped him. Then I got back in my car and fired a nickel out the window into his face. Then I peeled out, propelling tiny concrete pebbles into his fat face.

As I drove away I blared "Every Breath you Take" on the radio and laughed out the window at him.

I wonder what ever happened to that loser.

For your own information...that guy blowing his horn on Westheimer and Voss isn't related to me. 

I don't know who he is, but he can't hold a candle to me.  Once day I got out of my Mercedes Benz SLK and challenged him to a horn-off duel.  We played "Every Breath you Take" by Sting, on the horn.  I know, I know, it was his choice.  Anyway, I whooped him.  Then I got back in my car and fired a nickel out the window into his face.  Then I peeled out, propelling tiny concrete pebbles into his fat face.

As I drove away I blared "Every Breath you Take" on the radio and laughed out the window at him.

I wonder what ever happened to that loser.

bump for humor

We're talking about homeless people now.

Let's stay on topic, please.

*edited for content* Keep it clean, please. dbigtex56

• 3 years later...

I'm almost positive Romano's on W. Gray does a veal canneloni--I haven't had any of their stuffed pasta, but they do a rollatini that's very good--and no one does that anymore. Really good food. I love those dudes, was just there last night. My mom's Sicilian, so I'm picky about these things.

Pulcinella in Katy does a nice canneloni, but its made with chicken not meat. On the earlier thread, Simposio and DaMarco are my favorite Italian restaurants in town. Simposio for traditional Northern Italian and DaMarco for innovative different dishes.

Prego in village

Ciros on i10

Arturros in uptown

i had the best soft shell crab i've ever had in my life at prego... dying to go back there.

amerigos in the woodlands is fantastic (or at least it used to be... haven't been in a few years). owner is a very good family friend.

never been, but i've been told by numerous people that da marco's is the best italian restaurant in town, bar none. sorrento's down the street is decent as well.

Carrabba's on Kirby used to be really good. After they franchised, it stayed good for a while, but then the quality started going downhill. The last few times I went the pasta was soggy and the desert was bland. And it was just too goddamned loud to stay in there for an entire meal.

Carrabba's on Kirby used to be really good. After they franchised, it stayed good for a while, but then the quality started going downhill. The last few times I went the pasta was soggy and the desert was bland. And it was just too goddamned loud to stay in there for an entire meal.

The Kirby and Woodway locations are not franchised, they're still owned by Johnny and Damian. I agree that it's loud and always has been, but the last time I ate there (fairly recently) the food quality was excellent.

Outback owns the other Carrabba's.

Archived