Shops At Navigation: Retail Center At 2240 Navigation Blvd.

This was posted over at SSP by Shasta (KinkaidAlum here). It came from a blurb in 002 Magazine.

http://www.studioredarchitects.com/images/stories/easygallery/125/1216150132_Birdseyeview.JPG

This is suppose to rise on seven acres on the other side of 59 near the Dynamo stadium (adjacent to it). Some features of America's Plaza include:

• 1,800 residential units
  • About 100,000 square feet of office/retail space
  • An outdoor amphitheater

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Houston is booming right now! I hope it continues for a long time!

I just got back from San Fransisco and bragged on Houston. A lot of people out there want to move to Houston. I will tell you guys more about my trip later, I want to ask Westerngulf some questions about living there.

Keep the developments coming Houston!

This was posted over at SSP by Shasta (KinkaidAlum here). It came from a blurb in 002 Magazine.

This is suppose to rise on seven acres on the other side of 59 near the Dynamo stadium (adjacent to it). Some features of America's Plaza include:

• 1,800 residential units
  • About 100,000 square feet of office/retail space
  • An outdoor amphitheater

This is a project by Alan Atkison, the same guy who redeveloped the Mercado del Sol into what is now the Alexan Lofts. Atkison has proven resourceful in the past, but I would warn that he's already sunk a lot of money into the old Anson Jones Elementary School to convert it to professional office space, for which he already has tenants lined up. And a significant part of the western tract is occupied by his wife's art gallery in an existing warehouse.

As of a couple months ago, he told me that much more retail space was in the works for the western tract, and I do seem to recall something about a plaza or amphitheater...but he didn't mention anything about a residential component, much less highrises.

Given the amount of capital that he's already putting into improvement of the existing buildings and also that financial markets are not what they used to be, I would suspect that this is one of those visioning efforts that architects do from time to time that is not based in even a sliver of reality.

Sorry guys. All the same, it is nice to see so much attention being lavished on this part of the East End.

This is a dream come true! When is the ground breaking ceremony? I have my shovel ready! :rolleyes:

per niche...

This is a project by Alan Atkison, the same guy who redeveloped the Mercado del Sol into what is now the Alexan Lofts. Atkison has proven resourceful in the past, but I would warn that he's already sunk a lot of money into the old Anson Jones Elementary School to convert it to professional office space, for which he already has tenants lined up. And a significant part of the western tract is occupied by his wife's art gallery in an existing warehouse.

As of a couple months ago, he told me that much more retail space was in the works for the western tract, and I do seem to recall something about a plaza or amphitheater...but he didn't mention anything about a residential component, much less highrises.

Given the amount of capital that he's already putting into improvement of the existing buildings and also that financial markets are not what they used to be, I would suspect that this is one of those visioning efforts that architects do from time to time that is not based in even a sliver of reality.

Sorry guys. All the same, it is nice to see so much attention being lavished on this part of the East End.

Wow! Nice. After the stadium gets built (fingers crossed), more development will follow...too good to be true? I'll believe it when I see it.

niche's news isn't as good as the rendering. I think he's saying not to expect what that rendering shows at all.

I don't think we should get too excited.

• 4 years later...

Three possible real estate development posted her. Anyone know about the other two? I'll start researching. I just found this

http://www.hfflp.com/GetDocument.aspx?ID=55592&FN=Americas+Plaza+OM.pdf&DT=1

I've always thought that Houston should proactively, and formally, go after the title as gateway the Central and South America.

Will take vision but......Imagine If you are a top up and comping company in one of those countries (Brazil, Peru, Argentina, etc.) you US headquarter should naturally be located in Houston. Especially with the anticipated  boom to the port with items coming from that part of the world.

Imagine if the area East of Downtown developed as a sort of Gateway District with Urban Planning paralleling some of the elements in the home country. There would be tons of potential in an idea like this and right now our only main competitors are Los Angeles and Miami.

Imagine if the area East of Downtown developed as a sort of Gateway District with Urban Planning paralleling some of the elements in the home country. There would be tons of potential in an idea like this and right now our only main competitors are Los Angeles and Miami.

Countries like Brazil are booming, I think they have enough companies were we probably wouldnt see such a heated competition. Theres enough to go around :)

This is good for East End though, that area needs some good infill.

In a recent interview Mayor Anise Parker referred to Houston as a "Gateway City". This development would have serious potential if done right. It would help validate any development of the KBR site in my mind. There are some impediments to truly beng a gateway to downtown, if they can find a way to actually connect downtown and the east end together other than by car it would be fantastic. Improved pedestrian and bike connections to east downtown and downtown, if the extend heights bike trail to the site that would be a great step. Maybe BRT connecting downtown to east end down Navigation. Plus with the added tax incentives for developers to build housing in downtown this might be more than just a gateway to parking lots. Promising plans! 

Houston needs more large entertainment districts in the downtown, midtown, galleria areas, etc.

All these people need something to do...and we all know Galveston isn't "that answer."

Actually, if you look at LA, downtown entertainment options really only developed within the last 10-15 years.  Prior to that, virtually all of the entertainment options were a considerable distance from the city, in particular the entertainment park cluster in Anaheim (not that I'm even remotely trying to compare Galveston to Anaheim).

There's actually a reasonably nice cluster of options down there now for a getaway weekend. 

Actually, if you look at LA, downtown entertainment options really only developed within the last 10-15 years.  Prior to that, virtually all of the entertainment options were a considerable distance from the city, in particular the entertainment park cluster in Anaheim (not that I'm even remotely trying to compare Galveston to Anaheim).

There's actually a reasonably nice cluster of options down there now for a getaway weekend. 

Yeah...it's not like there's "nothing to do" in Galveston, but almost all the options are family-oriented with very little in the way of night life (and I don't even go out a lot or drink personally). They really need to clean up the water (if possible) and the beach itself, too. It's just plain nasty. I remember as a kid going into the water there and coming out of the water with some kind of film all over me. It doesn't look like it's changed much since. I always hear how the Mississippi River dumps into the Gulf, and then that water is what we get here...which makes sense...but then I hear about how clear and beautiful the water was in Galveston a long time ago.

I haven't been to LA since 1989, but what you're saying is probably why downtown LA has never been thought of as a "local destination" outside of work...perhaps until recently. I think there's a good chance downtown Houston will eventually get more options with all the new and upcoming activity, especially in the residential department. That "kind of" helps too. 

Downtown LA really sucked for a long time, but now they have LA Live downtown and City Walk over in Universal City and I think that those are more like the kind of thing that you're thinking of.

I was hoping that the Pavilions complex was going to drive that kind of development and hopefully the change in ownership will do something to revitalize it and extend development to the neighboring blocks.

Downtown LA really sucked for a long time, but now they have LA Live downtown and City Walk over in Universal City and I think that those are more like the kind of thing that you're thinking of.

I was hoping that the Pavilions complex was going to drive that kind of development and hopefully the change in ownership will do something to revitalize it and extend development to the neighboring blocks.

Just googled those and I really like LA Live downtown. I noticed the Ritz and the Marriott, too...and I also really like how it's right next to the Staples Center. Houston could use a little (okay a lot) better lighting and better ways of advertising (on already existing buildings as opposed to being on billboards all over town).

Yeah...it's not like there's "nothing to do" in Galveston, but almost all the options are family-oriented with very little in the way of night life (and I don't even go out a lot or drink personally). 

Actually, the bar scene on the Strand isn't too bad. Add to that the various bars scattered along the Seawall and a few other places, and there are definitely a decent amount of places to get a drink. Still, they could do well to introduce a bit more variety.

Yeah...it's not like there's "nothing to do" in Galveston, but almost all the options are family-oriented with very little in the way of night life (and I don't even go out a lot or drink personally). They really need to clean up the water (if possible) and the beach itself, too. It's just plain nasty. I remember as a kid going into the water there and coming out of the water with some kind of film all over me. It doesn't look like it's changed much since. I always hear how the Mississippi River dumps into the Gulf, and then that water is what we get here...which makes sense...but then I hear about how clear and beautiful the water was in Galveston a long time ago.

I haven't been to LA since 1989, but what you're saying is probably why downtown LA has never been thought of as a "local destination" outside of work...perhaps until recently. I think there's a good chance downtown Houston will eventually get more options with all the new and upcoming activity, especially in the residential department. That "kind of" helps too. 

If tourism keeps booming down there, hopefully more options will come

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Record-holiday-crowds-descend-on-Galveston-4555192.php

As for the water - it is what it is.  Some days it's actually a more pleasant greenish color while others it can be a dark, murky brown - it's usually somewhere in-between.  I've never had a "film", though.  I do wish there was a better solution for the seaweed

As for the water - it is what it is.  Some days it's actually a more pleasant greenish color while others it can be a dark, murky brown - it's usually somewhere in-between.  I've never had a "film", though.

Ditto.  (and I would say it's usually closer to the pleasant greenish color than the dark murky (muddy) brown.)

I would add that it is highly doubtful that the water was ever clear.  The Mississippi has been pouring mud into the Gulf basically forever.

Archived