Best neighborhood for gay families?

franny

We're a lesbian couple currently in Tanglewilde with our 16 month old. Lately, it has become clear that many parents in the neighborhood are never really going to get comfortable with us. We both grew up in neighborhoods with lots of interaction, and we really want that for our child(ren.) We don't want our daughter to be punished for the fact that we're on the homo team.

Since for some reason HAR doesn't list voting patterns or predominant sexual preferences on their site, can someone point us toward a neighborhood with:

a) lots of gay or liberal families

b) near Medical Center/Bellaire/West U area (partner is in nursing school in med center and I work at 45 and Fuqua.)

c) good public elementary and junior high schools (realistically we'll most likely move before high school)

d) houses in the $200-300 range

e) a little style wouldn't hurt - we like midcentury modern but we're not the types to live in a "perfect" home with all vintage furniture

We're thinking Westbury, but which sections are most likely to fit all of the above? And are there neighborhoods other than Westbury?

I think that the Westbury area would be ideal for you, specifically Parkwest, Willowbend, and Willow Meadows. Each are zoned to good elementary and junior high schools, are generally in the price range you are seeking (though your money won't go far in Willow Meadows), and generally have a more tolerant sensibility. Plus nice houses on largish lots.

I could recommend a few other cool inner loop areas, but none where the public schools are strong and the homes are in your price range.

Good luck!

Abraham Lincoln said, "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." If you look for those in your neighborhood who hate homosexuals, you will surely find them. And you will find them no matter where you live. If you ignore those who are so narrow-minded, you will probably notice fewer and fewer of them.

If you "don't make waves", like making overt displays of your sexuality, and you keep your nose clean

H2B, that was a ridiculous statement and the statement is very parallel to the what most ignorant people think of various forms of bigotry (racism, homophobia, sexism, etc), but I digress.....

I agree with an area similar to Timbergrove, Heights, Rice Military...mostly areas in the inner loop, but 2 things will exist in those areas

1. You may have to downsize

2. There are decent to very good schools in those areas, but you will have to work to find them..(Hogg or Memorial elem and Lanier junior high are pretty decent and diverse schools, and at least the parents that send their kids to those schools will match that demographic)

Good luck and please stay strong

We're a lesbian couple currently in Tanglewilde with our 16 month old. Lately, it has become clear that many parents in the neighborhood are never really going to get comfortable with us. We both grew up in neighborhoods with lots of interaction, and we really want that for our child(ren.) We don't want our daughter to be punished for the fact that we're on the homo team.

Since for some reason HAR doesn't list voting patterns or predominant sexual preferences on their site, can someone point us toward a neighborhood with:

b) near Medical Center/Bellaire/West U area (partner is in nursing school in med center and I work at 45 and Fuqua.)

c) good public elementary and junior high schools (realistically we'll most likely move before high school)

e) a little style wouldn't hurt - we like midcentury modern but we're not the types to live in a "perfect" home with all vintage furniture

We're thinking Westbury, but which sections are most likely to fit all of the above? And are there neighborhoods other than Westbury?

Westbury is the place. The closer you are to South Post Oak, the better, it gets scary in some parts, but it has been penned as the affordable family friendly Montrose.

No late night TG, TV, CD walking the streets. :lol:

Nothing else other than Montrose/Heights is noted at gay friendly and Westbury is affordable.

Westbury is the place. The closer you are to South Post Oak, the better, it gets scary in some parts, but it has been penned as the affordable family friendly Montrose.

No late night TG, TV, CD walking the streets. :lol:

Nothing else other than Montrose/Heights is noted at gay friendly and Westbury is affordable.

I'm curious, since I've been looking at that part of town, too. Why do you say the closer you are to South Post Oak, the better? do you mean as opposed to the Fondren side of Westbury?

Well, you would not get the good public school thing in Glenbrook Valley, but there are some affordable private schools in the area. It would be a lot closer in than Tanglewilde. You would not have a problem here, but you would also have to avoid T.C. Burton (or join us in tormenting him with our very presence :lol: ) which is another story..

We do have young progressive families with kids that have moved in.

I'm curious, since I've been looking at that part of town, too. Why do you say the closer you are to South Post Oak, the better? do you mean as opposed to the Fondren side of Westbury?

I think conventional wisdom in that area is Westbury south, (basically south of Airport) is sketchy, and section 4 is not that desirable. Which is about Ludington south roughly. Sections 1 & 2, with the possible exception of the houses facing the busy streets, tend to be the more sought after parts with prices reflecting that. The parts of Parkwest north of Bellfort that are zoned to Parker elementary tend to fetch more than those zoned to Anderson.

What sections are better depends upon who you talk to, so it is all subjective. The people in Parkwest tend to think they are a cut above standard Westbury. Parkwest is west of Chimney Rock and some people think east is better. Bellfort used to be sort of a dividing line, but the middle section between Chimney Rock and Hillcroft has improved and prices have risen in there, until you get around Anderson elementary, and it seems to not be as nice there. West of Hillcroft there is at least one nice pocket, but some sections are not as nice as points further east.

That has been my take on it, which again this is somewhat subjective. Someone else may have a bit of a different opinion.

We don't want our daughter to be punished for the fact that we're on the homo team.

Wait until the NCAA can franchise those jerseys..

Thanks for the advice, but you've missed the point. We don't need advice on making more of an effort and fitting in where we are, we're looking for advice on a neighborhood that's a better fit with less effort.

Hey, you asked a question in a public forum. Did you not expect at least one response not to your liking? You get what you pay for, and everything here is free.

That has to be the most ridiculous advice I've heard in quite awhile. Yes, know your place, no PDA's (reserved for your hetero neighbors) and you might tolerated.

Turn off your liberal-basher radar. I don't want anyone giving me a show in my neighborhood either - no matter what the demographic is. Keep it clean or keep it indoors, no matter what team you're on!

I'm really not sure of what to make of that "nose" comment.

You could try making sense of one of the most common phrases in the American vernacular.

"Don't make waves" as well as "public displays of affection" would fit any family, gay or hetero. However, I believe I made a bad choice of words, and I humbly apologize for the blunder.

What I meant was that it would be unwise to flaunt your sexuality in the face of the neighbors. Even if you are gay, you can

Yes, Fondren side is not quite as "nice".

A lot of gay families live in the Heights. I've also heard Galveston is becoming the new gay Houston mecca but not sure how true that is.

I think conventional wisdom in that area is Westbury south, (basically south of Airport) is sketchy, and section 4 is not that desirable. Which is about Ludington south roughly. Sections 1 & 2, with the possible exception of the houses facing the busy streets, tend to be the more sought after parts with prices reflecting that. The parts of Parkwest north of Bellfort that are zoned to Parker elementary tend to fetch more than those zoned to Anderson.

What sections are better depends upon who you talk to, so it is all subjective. The people in Parkwest tend to think they are a cut above standard Westbury. Parkwest is west of Chimney Rock and some people think east is better. Bellfort used to be sort of a dividing line, but the middle section between Chimney Rock and Hillcroft has improved and prices have risen in there, until you get around Anderson elementary, and it seems to not be as nice there. West of Hillcroft there is at least one nice pocket, but some sections are not as nice as points further east.

That has been my take on it, which again this is somewhat subjective. Someone else may have a bit of a different opinion.

I live west of Hilcroft, and it seems nice here. Perhaps I live in this pocket you speak of?

To the OP: It sounds like you want to live in The Westbury. What's stopping you?

I live west of Hilcroft, and it seems nice here. Perhaps I live in this pocket you speak of?

To the OP: It sounds like you want to live in The Westbury. What's stopping you?

Nothing really, just wanting to know if there are some other pockets of cool liberal neighborliness. My sister and her family live in Meyerland and my mom lives in West U, so central SW is definitely the area we are most attracted to. We just don't want to spend the $$$ they spent.

I appreciate all the people who gave neighborhood input. Again, not too interested in the patronizing interpersonal assvice, but Jeebus is right that you get what you pay for.

. Keep it clean or keep it indoors, no matter what team you're on!

You could try making sense of one of the most common phrases in the American vernacular.

I keep it clean but if others wish not to and it offends you TFB.

I realize it is a common phrase. Thanks for pointing out the obvious. My point was that comment made no sense in regards to the question.

I'd say that analysis is dead on Robert. The only thing I would add is that if you are lucky enough to find a house in Westbury 1 north of Willowbend you get Bellaire high with the deal.

Westbury is so big and the "niceness" varies from section to section, and even within sections. I've seen more than a few newbie investors lose their shirt by not being accurate with their comps.

flipper

"Don't make waves" as well as "public displays of affection" would fit any family, gay or hetero. However, I believe I made a bad choice of words, and I humbly apologize for the blunder.

I'd also like to apologize for my overactive reply to your reply. It was an obvious poor choice of words. Having never done that myself :lol: I didn't snap to it right away when I saw it.

I keep it clean but if others wish not to and it offends you TFB.

Let them come be my neighbor and act a fool. They'll be on a first name with the Fort Bend County Sheriff's Office in no time. I don't play when it comes to my home.

I realize it is a common phrase. Thanks for pointing out the obvious. My point was that comment made no sense in regards to the question.
I'm really not sure of what to make of that "nose" comment.

Well, I wasn't sure that you were sure of not being sure. Surely I won't make that mistake again.

Let them come be my neighbor and act a fool. They'll be on a first name with the Fort Bend County Sheriff's Office in no time. I don't play when it comes to my home.

Those damn Lesbians next door are holding hands again! Dial 911 quick!

the Heights is always a good choice as far as gay friendly goes. There are 4 gay couples on my street including myself and we all interact, hang out and get along with other neighbors.

The gay thing is really a non issue.

As far as schools are concerned, I don't think you have anything to worry about until high school.

Although I don't live there myself, I've heard some same gendered families have moved to Jersey Village and feel at home. The schools are good and the park and ride could take one directly to the Med Center. Plus, the prices out there are probably a lot cheaper than closer to town.

Those damn Lesbians next door are holding hands again! Dial 911 quick!

Please. I could care less about harmless PDA. It's when things get PG-13 and my two year old is able to see it that I do something.

I'm sure the Fort Bend Sheriff loves you.

Probably not. People tend not to like you when you hold them accountable. It's just a fact of life.

Just because the advice here is free doesn't mean it has to be unhelpful or impudent. We're looking for areas of town, folks, plain and simple - this isn't about getting down in the driveway.

On that note, I would agree with areas of Houston that were actually mentioned - Heights, Montrose, Glenbrook (but yeah - steer clear of Burton!), and from what I have also independently heard, Westbury.

Another factor to consider would be how much work you want to put in to a home.

It's really unfortunate that you get that kind of feeling from your neighbors - especially if you like your home and neighborhood. While there will always be the chance of having neighbors like that, I hope you find a neighborhood to your liking on the whole.

Archived