South Main Innovation District In Midtown

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Found some recent photos of inside with the floors cut out and skylight/tarp installed.       

Posted Images

1619151.jpg?v=20200709105943

^^^ this particular development is not even completed.  yet, the "WOW" is constantly climbing up the charts.  what a remarkable addition/achievement for MIDTOWN HOUSTON!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2021 at 4:29 PM, hindesky said:

Parking garage. I talked with some laborers and they said January start but all they've done so far was run some electrical conduit so far.

Any idea as to why the garage has not started? Where are all the employees of Microsoft, Chevron, Common desk, new retail tenants, etc. going to park in the next several months?  Has something changed beyond a garage for this site?  

I scratch my head every time I drive by here.  There's been no movement, yet we they keep announcing more and more tenants.

41 minutes ago, CREguy13 said:

Any idea as to why the garage has not started? Where are all the employees of Microsoft, Chevron, Common desk, new retail tenants, etc. going to park in the next several months?  Has something changed beyond a garage for this site?  

I scratch my head every time I drive by here.  There's been no movement, yet we they keep announcing more and more tenants.

There’s plenty of movement...the homeless, for one.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, clutchcity94 said:

Have they announced what will be in its place after it’s demo’d?

I heard Common Bond was offered the space since it had a drive thru, but this was a few months back. All the recent announcements seem to indicate that they'll be going inside the Ion building, but who knows.

1 hour ago, CREguy13 said:

They re-sealed the large parking lot across the street. I imagine they have enough parking in that super block to buy them some more time until they sign a more substantial lease.

• Like 7
14 hours ago, HNathoo said:

I heard Common Bond was offered the space since it had a drive thru, but this was a few months back. All the recent announcements seem to indicate that they'll be going inside the Ion building, but who knows.

Someone posted the construction permit above and the address is listed as being inside the Ion. A drive thru common bond would have definitely made sense at this lot, but I would imagine that it needs a demo because of the derelict gas station. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Texasota said:

also, like, the red line? I'm not saying lots of people won't drive, but part of the appeal of this location is that you don't necessarily have to. So they don't need to provide parking for every employee day 1, and in fact *not* providing that parking might help people make other commuting (or housing location!) choices from the start.

@HNathoo is right, they paved over the lot next to them and it makes sense since they have slowly migrated the construction equipment over to the garage lot and they don't seem to be in a huge hurry to star that.

I feel like you're already seeing quite a few apartments pop up within half a mile of the redline sort of anticipating demand like this, which I think is purposeful because it helps them market and raises their walkability/transit scores. And I'm not sure the type of people basing their operations out of the Ion are really looking to buy or rent on 1-10 by 99. 

4 hours ago, Texasota said:

also, like, the red line? I'm not saying lots of people won't drive, but part of the appeal of this location is that you don't necessarily have to. So they don't need to provide parking for every employee day 1, and in fact *not* providing that parking might help people make other commuting (or housing location!) choices from the start.

They will still have to meet the city's minimum parking requirements unless those were changed for this area of Midtown, can't remember.

10 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

They will still have to meet the city's minimum parking requirements unless those were changed for this area of Midtown, can't remember.

With as many parking lots as Rice owns in the area, they could easily provide parking minimums for themselves as well as a dozen or more other businesses.

• Like 1

This area of midtown has no minimum parking requirements. 

1 hour ago, X.R. said:

@HNathoo is right, they paved over the lot next to them and it makes sense since they have slowly migrated the construction equipment over to the garage lot and they don't seem to be in a huge hurry to star that.

I feel like you're already seeing quite a few apartments pop up within half a mile of the redline sort of anticipating demand like this, which I think is purposeful because it helps them market and raises their walkability/transit scores. And I'm not sure the type of people basing their operations out of the Ion are really looking to buy or rent on 1-10 by 99. 

...99 Ranch? because that would be convenient.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Looks like all the homeless folks have been pushed adjacent to the 59 NB exit ramp, next to Shipley. 10+ tents there now. I wonder where they’ll move to next. Doubt Rice will let them stay once Ion opens.

Edited by clutchcity94
4 hours ago, phillip_white said:

With as many parking lots as Rice owns in the area, they could easily provide parking minimums for themselves as well as a dozen or more other businesses.

But then they can't develop those lots in future phases.

56 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

But then they can't develop those lots in future phases.

I was being facetious so as to exaggerate the ample amount of parking available in the area. In reality, the parking ordinance removed the parking minimum requirements all the way to 59 on the South/East and Bagby (I think) on the West. Honestly though, they could have everyone at The Ion and the Fiesta incubator park on the street for the next 2-3 years and still have extra spots.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, zaphod said:

I'm sure the interior build out is very nice, but if I didn't know what was going on I'd say from its external appearance that the old Fiesta was becoming some kind of non-denominational church with a name like "Praise Connection" or something. Or maybe it's a new "Junior Striver's Academy Charter School". Or a Mega Self Storage. Just looks the part, lol.

I say put the money on the inside. This structure's days (years really) may be numbered. There is no point in gilding a lily that is intended to be demo'd for something else in the future. As we have seen with some churches and charter schools, former big box stores can make useful, if temporary, homes for such uses.

• Like 4
13 hours ago, zaphod said:

I'm sure the interior build out is very nice, but if I didn't know what was going on I'd say from its external appearance that the old Fiesta was becoming some kind of non-denominational church with a name like "Praise Connection" or something. Or maybe it's a new "Junior Striver's Academy Charter School". Or a Mega Self Storage. Just looks the part, lol.

wait, I thought Fiesta was just trying out the new trendier exterior color scheme of "paint everything grey"?

seriously, I am guessing they had limited options for the exterior (owing to the budget constraints specwriter suggests), but it is pretty uninspired. I guess everything can't be amazing.

• Like 2

Why all the concern over how the old Fiesta looks?  This will building will have dedicated shop and lab space.  Most of the shop/labs for O&G that I've been to were just warehouses that could be easily reconfigured depending on the project.

• Like 7
4 hours ago, BeerNut said:

Why all the concern over how the old Fiesta looks?  This will building will have dedicated shop and lab space.  Most of the shop/labs for O&G that I've been to were just warehouses that could be easily reconfigured depending on the project.

Same reason as there's concern over how the old Sears looks. This is the face of the new innovative Houston.

• Like 7

The logical intersection it would be referring to would be San Jacinto and Wheeler, I guess I'll forgive a Florida company for that mistake. If my thinking is correct it could fit in front of Greentown Labs and between the Ion and Greentown Labs. If this is actually what is happening it appears Rice wants to get in on the long term ground lease golden goose. The Texas A&M System makes tens of millions every year off of similar arrangements in College Station. I can only imagine what Rice would make off of these blocks.

260064479_ScreenShot2021-05-04at7_34_04PM.thumb.png.59f84189f3aa8e787dbba8f68aef4cfe.png

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

"Phase 1 includes 2 of 3 city blocks under development, with phase 2 residential tower coming shortly"

A residential tower? There?? Lol, if all the people who regularly experienced san jac and wheeler a decade ago could see this now.

I also literally laughed out loud at seeing Party City, Forever 21, and Dicks as the placeholders in that design. I think it was the party city that set me off. 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 5
44 minutes ago, X.R. said:

A residential tower? There?? Lol, if all the people who regularly experienced san jac and wheeler a decade ago could see this now.

I also literally laughed out loud at seeing Party City, Forever 21, and Dicks as the placeholders in that design. I think it was the party city that set me off. 🤣

It was missing “Zone D’Erotica” to let folks know this was a real Houston mixed-use.

• Haha 7
17 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Related? Corner of San Jacinto and Richmond

https://fisherarchitects.com/our-work/underway/

Houston-Midtown-Rendering-with-Signage-1

On 11/11/2019 at 4:38 PM, rechlin said:

The Chronicle's link to the agenda is broken, because the username and password were dropped from the URL, but the full link is ftp://PlatViewer:Viewer4DRC@edrc.houstontx.gov//2019/2019-23_DraftAgenda.pdf

Note that the username is PlatViewer and the password is Viewer4DRC, in case HAIF breaks the URL too.  The information about the Ion is on pages 140 through 160, and there are a bunch of images not in the article.  Here is the full set of images:

Qx2G48q.png

JCE8LOl.png

I don't see a "central laneway" in the renderings (unless the sky bridge counts), but other than that everything else seems to match up with the initial vision. That block would also appear to be next up for construction after the parking garage is completed.

On 5/4/2021 at 11:22 PM, X.R. said:

I wonder how much space will be allocated to the grocery store mentioned as part of the mix.
It probably won't rival Fiesta or Disco Kroger, but even a small one (such as the one in Target at Shepherd Square) would be a welcome addition to that part of town, especially with easy access to the Wheeler Transit Center and the Red Line. 

• Like 5