29 minutes ago, Toopicky said:

Wow, I didn't know the lot that Jack in the Box sits on was owned by Rice .... great find!

Wonder if that Jack sells rice. I know the student dining at rice does, pretty good considering the name of the institution too. Houston does have some world class rice I have to say so myself. 

Edited by TheSirDingle
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to Ion and Innovation District

What in the world, they're completely redoing the landscaping in the area? I don't think Caroline has esplanades, does it? And is it just me or are they basically shutting down that central laneway area? 

They weren't kidding about walkability. With the speed in which Ion is moving now...I'm guessing some of the landscaping and sidewalk stuff will probably start in the new year. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, X.R. said:

What in the world, they're completely redoing the landscaping in the area? I don't think Caroline has esplanades, does it? And is it just me or are they basically shutting down that central laneway area? 

They weren't kidding about walkability. With the speed in which Ion is moving now...I'm guessing some of the landscaping and sidewalk stuff will probably start in the new year. 

This section of Caroline does have esplanades.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, X.R. said:

The south part of Caroline from Clebourne to Hermann park does have medians. That road was initially developed like Lovett Blvd/Courtland Pl when it was one of the original suburbs and all the rage was to have a "european" style boulevard as a central street. Obviously we still have a soft spot for boulevards with the redevelopment of Post Oak.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, X.R. said:

Yes, Caroline has esplanades south of Cleburne.  And, no, I don't think they are shutting down that central laneway area.  The North-South streets appear to still go through.  The East-West street already does not exist.

• Like 1

Oh wow! This just made my day. I love coming to this page because it always brightens my day with each added bit of good news. I live in Ventana and this area DESPERATELY needs this development. K & H are the lots that will get rid of majority of the riff raff in the area. Those are the areas they tend to congregate the most. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, X.R. said:

The "central laneway" is already mid-block, so it's not replacing a thru street, but from the site plan, it looks like they want to pedestrianize Eagle St as well.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, midtowndweller said:

Oh wow! This just made my day. I love coming to this page because it always brightens my day with each added bit of good news. I live in Ventana and this area DESPERATELY needs this development. K & H are the lots that will get rid of majority of the riff raff in the area. Those are the areas they tend to congregate the most. 

I feel that same way every monday when i come in to see what amazingness @ekdrm2d1 has posted 🥇👍

• Like 8

• The title was changed to Ion and Innovation District in Midtown (Former Sears)

Third Ward community expresses concerns with The Ion project that's underway

Her presentation included new concerns following the release of the master plan of The Ion, which the Houston Chronicle released earlier this week. The plans included a parking area that will be the next construction project following The Ion. The variance request is headed to the planning commission on Thursday.

"That's a two-day turnaround and it's the first opportunity for us to do something," Neal says. The group is intending to at least acquire a delay in the variance request moving forward.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheSirDingle said:

hmm wonder how this is going to affect the variance request. Does the vocal public support this project more than it doesn't? Hoping this doesn't destroy/delay the plan, and we can get this project underway sooner than later.

Does the vocal public mean Houston at large or the vocal public that "represents" Third Ward?  Their CBA list is quite extensive...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheSirDingle said:

vocal public is whoever goes, and votes at the meetings I suppose. 

Those who comment at the meetings can sway the meetings themselves. Sometimes you have a lot of people speaking on one side of the topic, so it seems overwhelmingly clear what public opinion is.

Then, you have someone speak up who is in the minority, and you get a lot of others to finally speak up who feel the same way...

A lot of times, these meetings have very vocal people who don't want something to happen. So if you personally want this to go through without delay, I would attend and have your voice heard. It will support others to speak up who feel the same way.

I'm not saying the people who are concerned about how this development will move forward are wrong in any way, but if you are for this development, it's helpful to go and have your voice heard (just like those who want a delay will likely have a high turnout).

• Like 4