At least Surge homes isn't going to hold on to this land without developing it

Of course, there's no guarantee Rice will develop it anytime soon - they might hold it for the future for the innovation hub

• Like 2

I live in the apartments one block north of the Fiesta and my Landlord recently sold to Rice as well. He also said the community artist collective and one other apartment building on that block had sold to Rice although I don't know for sure if that is true.

Edited by bategeler
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 12:16 AM, houstontexasjack said:

Rice University bought this tract in December. There’s a warranty deed to “4001 S Main LLC” dated December 12, 2018. An individual by the name of Ronald E. Long signed the associated “Notice to Purchaser” on behalf of the acquiring LLC. Mr. Long is associated with Rice Management Company.

Edit: Links to the notice and deed:

hX95MkNugEt7YjoADh3y0MfImIiGZ02205avCUTC

bPA8hHRzC0xQ95pP3GOIU9n8iVm0s8y%2B6NnLsj

They are covering a pretty wide area to be buying land this far north of the Sears. I imagine they may just want to control the area and will likely ground lease some of the land to apartment or other developers. Universities do this sort of thing - buy up everything so they can control their neighborhood and ensure nice surroundings.

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

They are covering a pretty wide area to be buying land this far north of the Sears. I imagine they may just want to control the area and will likely ground lease some of the land to apartment or other developers. Universities do this sort of thing - buy up everything so they can control their neighborhood and ensure nice surroundings.

They plan a district, not just a building; so of course they want to control the surrounding property.  To be clear, this is only 2 blocks north.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Houston19514 said:

They plan a district, not just a building; so of course they want to control the surrounding property.  To be clear, this is only 2 blocks north.

Thanks for counting the blocks. I suspect this parcel will be ground leased for residential or mixed use. Could be wrong. Improper use of semi-colon in your first sentence.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

2 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Thanks for counting the blocks. I suspect this parcel will be ground leased for residential or mixed use. Could be wrong. Improper use of semi-colon in your first sentence.

This is some Virginia Woolf shit 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Just that Woolf loved her semicolons. "Percival has died; (he died in Egypt; he died in Greece; all deaths are one death). Susan has children; Neville mounts rapidly to the conspicuous heights." That sort of thing, she (and a lot of authors of the period) broke up what we'd think of as phrases and clauses into separate sentences (though, in my example from The Waves, those are mostly just short simple sentences.) 

• Like 3

The bulk of the district, save for the property with the Shipleys, is located in an Opportunity Zone. I believe Hines used a company provided investment in opportunity zones to get started on the Preston, Downtown.  Given Hines' involvement with this development, I wouldn't be surprised to see them use a similar model with Rice involving a ground lease as @H-Town Man suggests.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EllenOlenska said:

Just that Woolf loved her semicolons. "Percival has died; (he died in Egypt; he died in Greece; all deaths are one death). Susan has children; Neville mounts rapidly to the conspicuous heights." That sort of thing, she (and a lot of authors of the period) broke up what we'd think of as phrases and clauses into separate sentences (though, in my example from The Waves, those are mostly just short simple sentences.) 

Nice. I had forgotten that. More of a Katherine Mansfield fan. FYI, I would not correct any other poster besides Houston 19514 on semi-colon usage.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, CaptainJilliams said:

From the Houston Reddit by DougDTX:

“The Midtown Sears sign is about to get hauled away. No longer on top of the building.”

e50hv31.jpg

I can make out some letters behing sears....

" O P E V... " maybe it said 'open'?

any idea guys?

Edited by Avossos
more info
  • Like 2

On 5/13/2019 at 4:15 PM, H-Town Man said:

Like Houston Baptist Univ. on Fondren @59 .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Avossos said:

I can make out some letters behing sears....

" O P E V... " maybe it said 'open'?

any idea guys?

Yeah I think it was a just a neon "open" sign that they probably added to the original Sears sign to attract some more business in the 60s or something

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Timoric said:

That little triangle - does Houston have a nice Mason's structure someplace?

That was the A from the original Sears sign that was originally attached to that part of the building.

There are Masonic lodges all over town.

• Like 2

Drive by this every day, and since it stopped raining their large construction crews have been at it every day, from when I leave for work to when I come back. It seemed like they have slowed down on knocking out the bricks on the windows, and stopped dragging stuff out from inside and onto the parking lot. A lot of new steel/metal being brought inside. The wonders of having an endowment with enough money to keep stuff on schedule...

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Nice to see demo has started, but the demo itself isn't really news. From what I remember posting the stuff submitted to the city it calls for a partial demo of the back end and some other areas. They are pretty much going to gut the entire interior and will have to take out the entire roof for the upper stores they want to install.

• Like 2

Most of that stuff in the corner is just the incredible amount of shit they have dragged out from the inside. As Luminaire said, its a tiny demo that they are doing on the backside near the bay. In the mornings for the past week they've closed Wheeler down to one lane to accommodate whatever it is they are doing: moving the junk to the trash, demoing part of the back area walls, or loading stuff into the building through the demo'd walls. Seems like they are working on wiring or something cause there are men and women standing on ladders on the second floor looking into the (now) uncovered ceiling. 

Also, the comments in that reddit thread are gold.