What I find interesting about this discussion is that there seems to be an assumption that this is a community decision. Sears gets to make the decision about how they operate that location and whether they think that they need to do any renovations.

This is a classic example of how lack of competition causes entropy. They aren't doing anything with the store because they have no competition. People shop there because it's close and they don't have a better alternative. Sears doesn't do anything because they are getting good revenue and they have no reason to invest in the property.

If you really want Sears to either upgrade their store or vacate the premises, then someone should open a power center with a Target and a Kohl's 1/2 a mile a way and watch how quickly changes come to the Sears property.

If someone opened a Target 1/2 mile away watch how quickly Sears Midtown will close.  

Probably the only possibility for restoration of the building is if another buyer decided to make it some sort of showcase renovation.  Into what, I don't know.  Like the Astrodome, this is a case where adaptive reuse is really a difficult concept.

As for Sears, they have no particular incentive to do anything but milk it for whatever cash flow it is providing until the corporation curls up and dies. I can't see how additional competition in the neighborhood would cause them to do anything different.  What bank would finance expensive renovations of an old-fashioned two-story department store for a corporation that is on its last legs?  It doesn't make sense.

If someone opened a Target 1/2 mile away watch how quickly Sears Midtown will close.  

Probably the only possibility for restoration of the building is if another buyer decided to make it some sort of showcase renovation.  Into what, I don't know.  Like the Astrodome, this is a case where adaptive reuse is really a difficult concept.

As for Sears, they have no particular incentive to do anything but milk it for whatever cash flow it is providing until the corporation curls up and dies. I can't see how additional competition in the neighborhood would cause them to do anything different.  What bank would finance expensive renovations of an old-fashioned two-story department store for a corporation that is on its last legs?  It doesn't make sense.

Let me clarify my point.  If Target opened down the road, one of two things would happen.  Sears would either close the property because it couldn't compete, or it would have to upgrade the property in order to compete.  Given Sears current financial situation I agree that they probably wouldn't upgrade and would probably close which then opens the property for better use.

I don't see that as a bad thing at all.  The area gets better shopping options and the property is now available for renovation that won't happen as long as the status quo exists.

With Sears having bought a Kmart a decade ago, you'd think they could've remerchandised it to better serve the community. It certainly is an old building, and if it survives the year, it would've been operating for 75 years as a Sears! Incredible!

Actually KMart bought Sears. KMart Holdings then changed it's name to Sears Holdings. Not that it makes a difference now, they are both endangered species.

I've shopped at both this Sears and the one in Texas City. I find everything I need. It is convenient to park and pay.

I've been inside a Target a time or too. Never found anything I wanted to purchase. They don't have tools, automotive, hardware, appliances, or anything that I want to but..............except for their popcorn. So go ahead and build your Target store, so that one more middle aged guy can drive by it on his way to Sears.  

• Like 1

Sears relevance is based upon appliance and gardening tools, don't see where they would lack relevance in the 21st century. Maybe nobody needs a lawnmower in Midtown but a washer and dryer yes. I think if the sears were remodeled it would spark development around it. Overall after my weekly drive through various parts of the city, I am pleased with how nice Houston is becoming.

You guys are 100% correct. Sears is completely healthy. Their business is so strong that they reported -7% top line growth for 2013 and -9.4% for Q4. Those are great numbers! Much better than the +8.2% that losers like Home Depot showed.

No question that they're going to look to into immediately reinvesting those strong earnings into renovating the Midtown store. I expect them to start construction any day now, keep watching this thread for updates.

BTW, their stock is a hot buy. I'd invest heavily in it.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-01-22/business/chi-sears-close-loop-flagship-20140121_1_sears-holdings-traditional-department-stores-sears-and-kmart

http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/20140124/NEWS/140129916

Edited by livincinco

You guys are 100% correct. Sears is completely healthy. Their business is so strong that they reported -7% top line growth for 2013 and -9.4% for Q4. Those are great numbers! Much better than the +8.2% that losers like Home Depot showed.

No question that they're going to look to into immediately reinvesting those strong earnings into renovating the Midtown store. I expect them to start construction any day now, keep watching this thread for updates.

BTW, their stock is a hot buy. I'd invest heavily in it.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-01-22/business/chi-sears-close-loop-flagship-20140121_1_sears-holdings-traditional-department-stores-sears-and-kmart

http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/20140124/NEWS/140129916

Are you not aware of the golden rule?

We aren't saying Sears is doing well. But they must make changes to survive. They should either sell the land or renovate to survive. It looks like it should be on the side of I-30 in El Paso at this point. Tired, and resigned to crumble.

That was my point earlier in the thread.  The store is apparently profitable and faces no competition.  Sears has no incentive to renovate it. 

Nobody said that Sears as a whole was profitable, but this single location apparently is. I'll continue to shop there as long as it is open. It's convenient and has the merchandise I need at a reasonable price.  When it closes I'll be forced to go somewhere else. 

Pssst, but won't be Target!

Actually KMart bought Sears. KMart Holdings then changed it's name to Sears Holdings. Not that it makes a difference now, they are both endangered species.

I've shopped at both this Sears and the one in Texas City. I find everything I need. It is convenient to park and pay.

I've been inside a Target a time or too. Never found anything I wanted to purchase. They don't have tools, automotive, hardware, appliances, or anything that I want to but..............except for their popcorn. So go ahead and build your Target store, so that one more middle aged guy can drive by it on his way to Sears.

Folks like you are what always made Sears tick - practical, not swayed by image or advertising campaigns. If they had played their cards right I think they might have benefitted from the recession. Look how it helped Dollar General and other discounters.

Sad story - I registered at Sears for my wedding a few years ago and got almost nothing from there. Everyone flocked to the other places we registered like Crate & Barrel. We had relatives saying "You're not supposed to register at Sears." Why? Because, well, it's just not, you know, we want the best for you, etc., etc.

Folks like you are what always made Sears tick - practical, not swayed by image or advertising campaigns. If they had played their cards right I think they might have benefitted from the recession. Look how it helped Dollar General and other discounters.

Sad story - I registered at Sears for my wedding a few years ago and got almost nothing from there. Everyone flocked to the other places we registered like Crate & Barrel. We had relatives saying "You're not supposed to register at Sears." Why? Because, well, it's just not, you know, we want the best for you, etc., etc.

I went to Sears about 6 months ago to look at buying kitchen appliances -- they were more expensive than any other place I went (Lowes, Home Depot, Best Buy etc) and the salesmen knew absolutely nothing about them and couldn't be bothered with helping me make a $6000+ purchase (I even asked them to check the inventory at their outlet store on Griggs Road and they had no idea what I was talking about)  -- I hadn't been to Sears for years before that and I won't be back...very bad experience

Edited by HoustonMidtown
  • Like 2

• 8 months later...

Man - they (Surge Builders) are all over the place all of a sudden....Heights...Downtown....

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/news/2014/11/plans_for_the_controversial_freeland_district_development_are_back_sort_of.php

"Surge Homes, the company mentioned on the sign, is simply a new brand created by the same developer: Canadian firm Group LSR, known locally also as Inner Loop Condos. The same firm built the Piedmont condo building kinda near River Oaks and the Serento sorta near the Med Center."

http://swamplot.com/a-new-sign-of-future-development-appears-on-heights-hike-and-bike-trail-site/2014-11-07/

• Like 6

@H-Town Man.  We are testing the idea of both townhomes and condos on our site, www.surgehomes.com, to see which type of product there is more interest for on this site. 

Thanks and welcome to the site, Surge Homes! Either option sounds great, especially for the location. However, the one thing that Midtown, especially Main Street, desperately needs is decent retail. At least 8,000 sf of retail is essential to any project being built on Main Street in Midtown. I'm sure you're aware of what's happening on the Sears site and the other surrounding sites. It would behoove you and your investors to capture that additional income stream. 

• Like 6