On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:37 PM, houstontexasjack said:

I have a photo of a rendering of how the remodel of the Sears is supposed to look. I can’t upload it because the system is saying I’m restricted to a paltry 20kb. Anybody more techno savvy who can give a simple caveman lawyer a hand?

You mean, a simple unfrozen caveman lawyer?

1 hour ago, H-Town Man said:

You mean, a simple unfrozen caveman lawyer?

Look, I don't know what happened to me.  I'm just a simple caveman.  One day I was out hunting woolly mammoths.  The next, I woke up in what you call a "laboratory."  Your advanced technology confuses and frightens me.  Are there little fairies inside of the iPhone?  I don't know.  But I do know my client is entitled to $1 million in compensatory damages and should be awarded an additional $2 million in punitive damages. :P

1 hour ago, houstontexasjack said:

Look, I don't know what happened to me.  I'm just a simple caveman.  One day I was out hunting woolly mammoths.  The next, I woke up in what you call a "laboratory."  Your advanced technology confuses and frightens me.  Are there little fairies inside of the iPhone?  I don't know.  But I do know my client is entitled to $1 million in compensatory damages and should be awarded an additional $2 million in punitive damages. :P

Those damages estimates sound good. Why don't we just have Toonces our driver take you back to court...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure how much of this is new information, but here's an email about the project from Rice President David Leebron to Rice faculty and staff:

Dear Rice Faculty and Staff,

Last spring we announced that Rice would develop the midtown property it had acquired surrounding the Sears building into a new Houston innovation district. I write to provide a brief update on the Midtown Innovation District project, which will ultimately redevelop approximately 14 acres of Rice-owned property, anchored by the fully renovated Sears building at the intersection of Main and Wheeler streets. 

The Sears building will be renovated to form an innovation hub that will bring together the full spectrum of educational, business, financial and civic resources to support early stage companies and stimulate the Houston economy. This will be the heart of the new innovation district being planned in close collaboration with a wide range of partners, including government officials and area academic institutions, corporations and civic organizations, to ensure that the benefits of this project are shared broadly across the city.

The project is being financed and managed by the Rice Management Company as an investment by Rice’s endowment that will produce both an adequate return and great benefits for the region.  It has no impact on the university’s budget or budget planning, but it will create new opportunities for members of the Rice community.  And it will impact Houston in a powerful and direct way.

We are working with nine other Houston academic institutions to formulate plans for the engagement of academic communities with the innovation district.  I have asked Tom Killian, professor of physics and astronomy and associate dean of the Wiess School of Natural Sciences, to serve as liaison to the project for Rice faculty, students and staff, as well as to represent Rice in discussions with the other academic institutions.

On our campus, Tom has already begun to lead a process this fall that provides the entire Rice community with information about the project and an opportunity for input on the undertaking. We anticipate that through this process we will identify major themes around which we can build a coherent vision for Rice engagement with the innovation district.  The project is still in its early stages, so input from these discussions will have significant impact on the design of the physical spaces and programming for the renovated Sears building.

In keeping with the priorities expressed in the V2C2, I also encourage you to use this opportunity to think broadly about new opportunities to support entrepreneurship, leadership and engagement with the greater Houston community.

In late October and early November, Tom will host a series of discussions for faculty and staff. Any member of the faculty or staff who is interested in the Midtown innovation district may sign up for one of these sessions before Oct. 20 at [redacted]. A separate process for students is being coordinated through the undergraduate and graduate student associations.  If anyone would like to schedule a focused meeting for a particular campus group, please contact Tom at Killian@rice.edu.

This is an exciting opportunity for Rice and Houston, and I know we will benefit from the engagement of the Rice community in this vital project.  My thanks to Tom Killian for his willingness to lead this important effort.

Warm Regards,

David W. Leebron

1 hour ago, H-Town Man said:

14 acres is significant. The three blocks north of Wheeler, east of Main total about 10 acres. The remaining four acres must include some of the land purchases we heard about in the southwest quadrant of Main and Wheeler, and maybe a bit more?

An entity called 4403 Fannin LLC picked up the half acre across from Fiesta where the Jack in the Box now sits in August.  As is the case with the plots to the west of main, this LLC has a Rice University mailing address.

43 minutes ago, Alec said:

Swamplot made a great map of the current extent of this project. Sears is the orange lot:

https://imgur.com/a/Y07Tbg2

Article and explanation of other parcels here: http://swamplot.com/mapping-the-midtown-innovation-district-that-doesnt-exist-yet-but-keeps-getting-bigger/2018-10-19/

rice-land.jpg

The uncolored parking lot to the east of Sears and the uncolored lot south of Fiesta are also owned by Rice.

13 hours ago, HoustonIsHome said:

Rice done took over the neighborhood.

But look at the size of that surface parking that that church has right on Main. This is soon to be one of the most primestest (it's a word, look it up on the urban dictionary) intersection in Texas. There should be stipulations to Tax exempt statuses. 

Or just levy a per-sf tax on surface parking, separate and apart from property tax so everyone has to pay it.

58 minutes ago, Texasota said:

I'm not sure making enemies of churches is a good idea. Maybe the Midtown Management District (and the City) could work with them to create some sort of shared parking structure.

History certainly agrees with you as well. You make an enemy of the church and you make an enemy of a lot of people.

I would propose this. The city/midtown comes to the church and says "hey, why don't we pay you money for all of this parking, and in exchange we build you guys a beautiful new cathedral." Then they sell the parking lot space to developers for more residential / retail. That might be an interesting compromise.

27 minutes ago, Luminare said:

History certainly agrees with you as well. You make an enemy of the church and you make an enemy of a lot of people.

I would propose this. The city/midtown comes to the church and says "hey, why don't we pay you money for all of this parking, and in exchange we build you guys a beautiful new cathedral." Then they sell the parking lot space to developers for more residential / retail. That might be an interesting compromise.

Yeah, but the church presumably likes the parking lot, has owned it forever, and just had a huge sanctuary renovation project. So no one's going to bite at a new "cathedral."

I'm also sure the church isn't interested in allowing their parking lot to be used for unrestricted development.

I'm sure if it actually got to be an issue (and it hopefully will) there will be negotiations about putting up a parking structure in the lot or at least allowing outsiders to park in the lot. 

Edited by corbs315
a word

8 minutes ago, corbs315 said:

Yeah, but the church presumably likes the parking lot, has owned it forever, and just had a huge sanctuary renovation project. So no one's going to bite at a new "cathedral."

I'm also sure the church isn't interested in allowing their parking lot to be used for unrestricted development.

I'm sure if it actually got to be an issue (and it hopefully will) there will be negotiations about putting up a parking structure in the lot or at least allowing outsiders to park in the lot. 

Curiously, Caydon is working with a church on their Seattle development. I believe the agreement involves constructing some amenities in the development for the congregation.

I think we are still a ways off from seeing redevelopment of the church’s parking lot—there are plenty of vacant lots in the Rice project to be developed. Additionally, I suspect Rice will want to see the trenching of the freeway completed before setting out on a good portion of its redevelopment.

40 minutes ago, houstontexasjack said:

Curiously, Caydon is working with a church on their Seattle development. I believe the agreement involves constructing some amenities in the development for the congregation.

I think we are still a ways off from seeing redevelopment of the church’s parking lot—there are plenty of vacant lots in the Rice project to be developed. Additionally, I suspect Rice will want to see the trenching of the freeway completed before setting out on a good portion of its redevelopment.

I mean based off Mayor Turners plan of establishing the district within a 5 year span I doubt the Rice will wait that long before we start to see something develop. 

55 minutes ago, Sanjorade said:

Religion and innovation aren’t usually complimentary 

Really? I'm going to just assume that you aren't aware of architectural history (which if you aren't in the profession then its understandable. This isn't a jab at you or anything). I would consider doing a bit of research and maybe you might think twice about this statement.

I would google nearly every single architectural movement and you will notice that often religious architecture has always been at the forefront or a poster child for a particular movement.

In fact they were often the first to try new styles as a continuous process of updating their image, stature, and their notions about getting closer to God. This is coming from an agnostic btw.

3 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I mean based off Mayor Turners plan of establishing the district within a 5 year span I doubt the Rice will wait that long before we start to see something develop. 

The Sears itself is the initial start of the district, and I believe it's slated for completion around 2020.  However, I think the other vacant lots that Rice now owns may take longer to develop.  That is to what I was referring.  My understanding is that Rice is at least communicating with the parties responsible for developing cap parks and green bridges over the freeway in that area, so I'd think Rice would coordinate its development to feed off of those.

My present hope is, given that Caydon has shown a willingness to work with a church in Seattle, Caydon might be the one to approach the church about future redevelopment of this parking lot.

40 minutes ago, Timoric said:

After leaving Texas and all the shall we say "emotionally expressive" religion here, I joined Lutheran church through marriage  up in the Acela corridor and marvel how ugly and boxy and dark most of the Lutheran buildings are.

Considering that Lutherans started out as the antithesis to the over-embellished and over-indulgent Catholics back during the time of the reformation, there is a good reason why lutheran churches are plain. Its literally what they are all about. But plain and simple can be beautiful too. 

Edited by Luminare

2 minutes ago, Texasota said:

Oh come on. Just because it isn't finished doesn't mean it's *new.*

Hell this was just posted on Archdaily today. This is a proposed project.

https://www.archdaily.com/904625/sordo-madaleno-arquitectos-proposes-a-new-design-for-mexicos-queretaro-cathedral

I would also google Tadeo Ando. He did a few. Not "new" but built within the past 25-30 years.

Edited by Luminare