That second picture looks as if it is a library (pretty sure it's not), but it made me think that a library would do better here than its location on the north-east side of Downtown.  I see more pedestrian traffic with residential nearby, and it's location off the light rail would make it ideal.

• Like 1

What is the time frame on all of this? 10 years? Thats almost impossible to imagine with the way that area is now. I finally know how some of the older members on the forum feel!

I like the synergy of this with the montrose collective building. Both incorporating impressive, by Houston standards, amounts of green in and around the buildings. The modernity of these designs almost feel like they are somehow even more modern than the stuff going up in TMC3. 

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, X.R. said:

What is the time frame on all of this? 10 years? Thats almost impossible to imagine with the way that area is now. I finally know how some of the older members on the forum feel!

I like the synergy of this with the montrose collective building. Both incorporating impressive, by Houston standards, amounts of green in and around the buildings. The modernity of these designs almost feel like they are somehow even more modern than the stuff going up in TMC3. 

I think part of it is that the new TMC stuff is so large in scale that the details are going to be a bit low-res for now. I'm looking forward to getting more indepth detail info like we now are getting with The Ion.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, X.R. said:

Also noticed that with the Medistar Tower that's planned next to the new Intercontinental/Latitude development. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

They had 4 of those rotating concrete trucks parked there early this morning. It seems like they were sending concrete up onto the top of the building since they had one of those daddy long legs-concrete mover that I've seen in pics of other construction sites. They've been moving super quick, rain or shine. They really want to meet that deadline.

• Like 9

• The title was changed to South Main Innovation District in Midtown (Former Sears)
  • The topic was unlocked

City to negotiate community benefits agreement for anticipated innovation district

Mayor Sylvester Turner has pledged the city will strike a deal ensuring that Rice University’s planned innovation district in Midtown provides benefits to the outskirts too, a victory for students and community groups who’d banded together over fears the venture would negatively affect the Third Ward.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BeerNut said:

Ugh. Makes me want to vomit...

This quote tells you everything you need to know right here:

Wickerson called the fact young people were able to meaningfully challenge existing systems “empowering.”

These kids have officially become cultists.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BeerNut said:

“Icken said the city has twice previously orchestrated community benefits agreements, both related to the city’s tax abatement. The plan to negotiate an agreement with the Rice Management Co. is unique in that the school has not asked for public assistance with the development of the Ion, Icken said. The hope is that residents in surrounding under-served communities, like the Third Ward, will benefit in some way“

I hardly see this as a cave by Rice. An agreement that is “to be negotiated” is a playground. At a minimum, there’s a healthy opportunity to extract nondisparagement provisions.  I also think, from the quote above, Rice could negotiate support for items it might want, such as abandonment of right-of-way on which the public would get a say, as part of any agreement. Support for the TOD ordinance—all that’s in play.

This gives Rice a chance to get some good faith PR. 

• Like 2

Such agreements are negotiated to ensure that a developer delivers community benefits, like hiring, inclusion of affordable housing or funding for community programs, in exchange for residents’ support of the project and developments in or near their community, according to the Kinder Institute for Urban Research’s Third Ward Policy and Program Landscape Report.

This main thing I could see helping is the hiring part. If this project displaced houses or other community centers then I get it but this is taking away Sears and surface lots. The benefit is pushing out drug dealers. Though who knows where they will chill now. Fiesta would have been seen as a loss but the new HEB in the Third Ward should help offset that for residents. 

• Like 8